PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2nd Gen - OEM Rear Spoiler?

 
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By 917K
  • 2 Post By rckstein
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT
  • 1 Post By 917K

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jan 2016, 06:39 am
917K's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Down Under (Straya)
Posts: 117
Default 2nd Gen - OEM Rear Spoiler?

G'day folks,

I'm removing the OEM spoiler from my 06 as I'm working on a 30s/40s styling It's the kind which is mounted on the sides, not the 'mini' spoiler with the centering hole.

I'd like to sell it but I don't want to mislead anyone, so I need to know if it's compatible with all years or just 2nd gen? Out of curiousity, which models had the mini?

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jan 2016, 06:46 am
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,332
Default Re: 2nd Gen - OEM Rear Spoiler?

Does it look like this one? If so, it will fit all PT Cruiser wagons. But holes will need to be drilled in the rear hatch on each side.

917K likes this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jan 2016, 08:31 am
917K's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Down Under (Straya)
Posts: 117
Default Re: 2nd Gen - OEM Rear Spoiler?

Sure is mate, thanks for the pic!

If the buyer's cruiser has those mounts already they won't need to drill, but yes I should make a note of possible drilling. Good call! Every cruiser I've seen here in Aussie has the same spoiler, so it will probably be a replacement for someone.

Going to take it off tomorrow and find myself four little rubber caps to keep the water out
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jan 2016, 09:16 am
rckstein's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,518
Default Re: 2nd Gen - OEM Rear Spoiler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 917K View Post
G'day folks,

I'm removing the OEM spoiler from my 06 as I'm working on a 30s/40s styling It's the kind which is mounted on the sides, not the 'mini' spoiler with the centering hole.

I'd like to sell it but I don't want to mislead anyone, so I need to know if it's compatible with all years or just 2nd gen? Out of curiousity, which models had the mini?

Cheers
Is the pic below what you are calling the 'mini' spoiler?

(this is not my PT)


If this type of spoiler is removed, is there a "centering hole" in the middle of the liftgate that would remain visible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 917K View Post
Sure is mate, thanks for the pic!

If the buyer's cruiser has those mounts already they won't need to drill, but yes I should make a note of possible drilling. Good call! Every cruiser I've seen here in Aussie has the same spoiler, so it will probably be a replacement for someone.

Going to take it off tomorrow and find myself four little rubber caps to keep the water out
If so, I feel cheated again as my PT got the neutered version of a spoiler!

Last edited by rckstein; 11 Jan 2016 at 09:36 am.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jan 2016, 02:56 pm
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,332
Default Re: 2nd Gen - OEM Rear Spoiler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Is the pic below what you are calling the 'mini' spoiler?

(this is not my PT)


If this type of spoiler is removed, is there a "centering hole" in the middle of the liftgate that would remain visible?



If so, I feel cheated again as my PT got the neutered version of a spoiler!
If you need one. I know where there's a metallic gray one on a salvaged Platinum Edition I could likely get for you if it's not been scarfed already. The last one cost me $40. So it would be whatever I can get it for plus the shipping. Just let me know.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jan 2016, 09:36 pm
917K's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Down Under (Straya)
Posts: 117
Default Re: 2nd Gen - OEM Rear Spoiler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Is the pic below what you are calling the 'mini' spoiler?



If this type of spoiler is removed, is there a "centering hole" in the middle of the liftgate that would remain visible?
Yep mate I reckon so, like I said every cruiser I've seen in Aussie has the one Handy posted, which mounts on each side of the tailgate.. But the one you've shown has a centering hole an inch or two wide, which yes, opens the car to water. I think soonercruiser filled his with a Chrysler badge. Another member had the hole welded shut and the panel repainted.

The water isn't really an issue on mine, since the holes only open into the strut area outside the weatherstripping, which is drainage anyway. But I suppose now you won't have any surprises if you change yours!

Last edited by 917K; 11 Jan 2016 at 09:39 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jan 2016, 10:18 pm
rckstein's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,518
Default Re: 2nd Gen - OEM Rear Spoiler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 917K View Post
Yep mate I reckon so, like I said every cruiser I've seen in Aussie has the one Handy posted, which mounts on each side of the tailgate.. But the one you've shown has a centering hole an inch or two wide, which yes, opens the car to water. I think soonercruiser filled his with a Chrysler badge. Another member had the hole welded shut and the panel repainted.

The water isn't really an issue on mine, since the holes only open into the strut area outside the weatherstripping, which is drainage anyway. But I suppose now you won't have any surprises if you change yours!
Thanks for the heads up, I guess that puts the kibosh on this mod, I'm not going to the trouble of closing up a hole.

What's ironic is, the pic I showed is supposedly from a PT in Australia. But I'm sure you aren't expected to have seen every PT in your area, so there are more likely more PT's in Australia with the "mini" spoiler, you just haven't seen them all.



There is always the possibility that the spoiler in the pic below would cover the hole, if I still decided to remove the "mini" spoiler. My only concern with this type of spoiler would be how much dirt would collect up inside, and cleaning the area, since it's not open.

Handy_Cruiser and 917K like this.

Last edited by rckstein; 11 Jan 2016 at 10:21 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jan 2016, 10:48 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,886
Default Re: 2nd Gen - OEM Rear Spoiler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 917K View Post
Sure is mate, thanks for the pic!

If the buyer's cruiser has those mounts already they won't need to drill, but yes I should make a note of possible drilling. Good call! Every cruiser I've seen here in Aussie has the same spoiler, so it will probably be a replacement for someone.

Going to take it off tomorrow and find myself four little rubber caps to keep the water out
Water can't get to the interior. Only goes into the drainage for the rear gate.
917K likes this.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jan 2016, 12:31 am
917K's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Down Under (Straya)
Posts: 117
Default Re: 2nd Gen - OEM Rear Spoiler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I guess that puts the kibosh on this mod, I'm not going to the trouble of closing up a hole.

What's ironic is, the pic I showed is supposedly from a PT in Australia.

There is always the possibility that the spoiler in the pic below would cover the hole, if I still decided to remove the "mini" spoiler. My only concern with this type of spoiler would be how much dirt would collect up inside, and cleaning the area, since it's not open.
That's definitely an Aussie car, can tell by the number plate. Struth, never seen one I can tell you. I thought it was an American thing it's a bit of a bugger that you can't take yours off without some stress, but you're right, that aftermarket Xenon would probably cover it over. But you still might want to seal it up with something anyway to be safe, condensation would migrate underneath the spoiler if there's room.

That's one of the reasons I removed mine, my spoiler does get dirty in and round the attachments. I just took it off and added pictures to my gallery, take a look if you like
rckstein likes this.

Last edited by 917K; 12 Jan 2016 at 12:35 am.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need rear spoiler badpt PT Cruiser Convertible Forum 3 26 Sep 2013 06:19 pm
Rear Spoiler Soulman The Detail Shop 9 27 Sep 2012 07:42 am
Rear spoiler removal-small spoiler SCBluePT Exterior Accessories Forum 12 04 Jun 2011 06:10 pm
rear spoiler soyomb Classifieds: Want To Buy 0 19 Feb 2011 05:52 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors