Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tie rod ends

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2016, 09:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Tie rod ends

This is probably not the best spot to put this but I did not see thread about front end and suspension so here goes. {Mods can put it where it should be I guess}

This is not a regular repair type thread either, just a sort of an update on what's heppenin' now,...

The kid has been using the PT Cruiser GT convertible while I sort out the problems with the HHR.

She has to have a dependable car for her job taking care of developmentally challenged people.

Part of the job entails taking these folks to appointments, shopping, and stuff like that. She tends to put a lot of miles on the cars doing this. She took one of the clients to Rockford for a doctors appointment just last week.

Well the thing is as she was leaving one of the clients houses the other night at least one of the tie rods seems to have broken. I took the car into the Firestone place in September to have the alignment checked and the tires rotated and they did not find any problems.

It has been so bloody cold here that I have not jacked the car up to look at things yet. When I start it only the passengers side wheel turns. The other just sits there so I figure that is the side with the problem.

The kid is using the 2016 Chevy Sonic but her clients don't like because it sits so low to the ground.

I can hardly wait till it gets a bit warmer to finish the work on the HHR and get the PT going again.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 09:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Tie rod ends

When a tie rod breaks, whether at the ball or the shaft, the wheel it controls in turning is flopping forward or backward, out of control. The car cannot be driven, only hauled away on a wrecker. You did not mention the car was undriveable so the tie rod or end is not a problem.
What are the symptoms of your problem?
Old 14 Jan 2016, 09:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like you have narrowed it down. Do both sides. Also check the inner tie rod as well as the ball joints.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Jan 2016, 12:50 am
Cool Cruiser

Yep, the wrecker dude brought it to the house. I will deal with it later when it warms up some.

It really was a pretty nice day today but the kid said her water heater was not working right so I spent most of the day working on that instead.

Her boyfriend is not handy at all when it comes to what I consider to be common repairs at all. {or anything else as far as I am concerned} I told him I have revoked his man card forever many times.

At his age I was building houses from scratch. {later when I started using wood it was much easier}

Anyway since she knows how much I totally hate plumbing she called me. That was a pretty simple fix the pressure relief valve had gone bad. The tank was pretty full of lime so I cleaned that too. It is working as good as it ever did now.

She was doing laundry when I got there and the dryer stopped working. The belt broke on it again so I ordered one and will have to put it on later.

I am very happy she was not at highway speed when this occurred. She had driven to the clients house to make his supper and get him in bed for the night when she backed up and could only go in circles. Bad enough but could have been so much worse.

I ordered both inner and outer tie rods for it, AutoZone had the whole thing with new tie rod ends for one price so that's what's coming. I even get free shipping right to the house on this one.

Last edited by KA9VQF; 15 Jan 2016 at 12:58 am.
Old 09 Mar 2016, 07:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

So, today it was a very nice day so I went to NAPA here in town and got a tie rod end.

I went over to the house jacked the car up and sure enough the driver side tie rod had separated. I was able to situate a jack stand under the bolt on the bottom of the ball and pop it out of the steering knuckle. That was the easy part.

Getting the part that screws on to the inner tie rod end was a lot tougher to get apart. First I tried just plane old brute strength. When that did not work I got out the turbo torch and heated it up a bit.

I still could not break it loose but did manage to get a nice superficial burn on the outside edge of my hand. No blister but it is easy enough to remember where the burn is.

Next I put two pipe wrenches on the part I wanted to remove and the inner tie rod and managed to break the rust.

It was simple enough to get it off once it would turn. I used probably half a can of Kroil oil on it working the thread in and out.

The new part turned on quite nicely. I put a little grease on the threads so hopefully if it ever has to come apart again it will be easier.

I forgot to fully tighten the front wheel when I put it back on and thought I had a wheel bearing going out. I stopped got out the lug wrench and tightened it up and miraculously the noise went away.

The car is running just fine and steering alright. I paid for the lifetime alignment when I got the new tires at Firestone right after we got the car so I made an appointment for next Tuesday to get that checked.

I brought the car in back in September for its wheel rotation and alignment check and they found no problems. I will have them check things out again next week.

I am happy to have my car back for the moment again. I know it will only be a matter of time before something else goes wrong with it and she needs the new car again,...