Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Little rattling noise sounds like inside the muffler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Feb 2016, 05:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Little rattling noise sounds like inside the muffler

Don't know if I got the right section or not but was wondering if someone could still help me out, I've been noticing that when the car is idling it just started making a little rattling noise by the muffler which sounds like it's on the inside of the muffler, because the shield on top of the muffler is tight I can't see anything else around the muffler area that is rattling. But it sounds like it's coming from the inside of the tail pipe end. I hope I explained it well enough. Was hoping that if what ever it is rattling if it is inside I hope it's not blocking the exhaust from coming out of the muffler. Thanks guys
Old 20 Feb 2016, 06:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Little rattling noise sounds like inside the muffler

Try thumping on the muffler with your hand. Thumping on stuff is a good method to troubleshoot rattles. Mufflers have sheet metal baffles inside them, one may have broken loose. I wouldn't expect it to restrict flow.
Old 20 Feb 2016, 08:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinPA View Post
Try thumping on the muffler with your hand. Thumping on stuff is a good method to troubleshoot rattles. Mufflers have sheet metal baffles inside them, one may have broken loose. I wouldn't expect it to restrict flow.
If one of the sheet metal baffles inside did break loose does that mean we are in need of a new muffler?
Old 21 Feb 2016, 08:06 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit2014 View Post
If one of the sheet metal baffles inside did break loose does that mean we are in need of a new muffler?
Not unless it just drives you nuts hearing it. Like Rick said, unless it creates a restriction in the exhaust, I wouldn't worry about it.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.