Advertisements
El Cheapo carbon fiber finish

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LionPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2016, 04:15 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default El Cheapo carbon fiber finish

I found a video showing how to paint a carbon fiber finish on a part or panel. Intriguingly I would guess it's a lot more reasonable than other means of acquiring this new popular finish.

As it doesn't involve an adhesive vinyl overlay that might be hard to configure to contours or actual carbon fiber parts placement but just a simple spray paint technique. I'm guessing it might almost be a rattle can project.

I'd tried to attach the video I'd downloaded to my documents but I guess it's too large to be accepted by the Forum's restrictions. As I've never figured out how to attach a video I did the next best and ran the video while taking photos off of my monitor. If any Forum member can instruct me on how to down load that video from my documents to the Forum on a thread, I'll be glad to post it.

The first attachment shows the actual cloth masking grid that is laid on your project to mask and create the carbon fiber pattern. The additional attachments show finish fogging for final effect, and subsequent photos of different parts as finished.

I hope some Forum members'll find this bit of heads up a more reasonable way of acquiring that new popular "carbon fiber" look.

I can imagine it as a finish for the three dash pieces on our PTs, or perhaps the front and back bumpers. Replacing worn out sun faded woody panels with this technique would make a unique look and a more permanent finish than replacement vinyl. I can see the whole set of woody trim and the panels finished in contrasting carbon fiber.

I'm sure imagination is the only limit.

What might be a specialize part or product that'd run hundreds of dollars could be the price of the pattern cloth and a couple a rattle cans.

Have fun with it. Comments welcome. Post your results

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 13 Mar 2016, 05:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: El Cheapo carbon fiber finish

Not your video, but I had this one already bookmarked.

Gkon likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 13 Mar 2016, 06:00 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

That's very similar to the video I watched. Thanks. It twern't even a special pattern sheet, Just a shelf liner from Walmart. Whoda thunk.

How did you get the video on your thread? Inquiring minds want to know.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 13 Mar 2016, 07:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
That's very similar to the video I watched. Thanks. It twern't even a special pattern sheet, Just a shelf liner from Walmart. Whoda thunk.

How did you get the video on your thread? Inquiring minds want to know.

Happy Ptin', ptprice

Just use the 'Insert Link' button...
Capture.JPG

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 13 Mar 2016, 09:04 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

no success on first try. Here's second effort. I'd made a mistake in transposing the letters, symbols and numbers the first time.

In checking, the site did come up but it was noted; "the video is unavailable, sorry about that".

I guess I probably just picked a video that has some kind of viewing integrity protection. At least I got the site up. I've got lots to learn. Thanks for at least gettin' me kick started!

Happy Ptin', ptprice

Last edited by ptprice; 13 Mar 2016 at 09:34 pm.