Advertisements
Help/Suggestions for mounting fender trim

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2016, 12:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Help/Suggestions for mounting fender trim

Hi folks,

The weather is nice now, so I'm getting around to installing the various accessories I got last winter.

Next on my list are 2" wide, 3/4 length, chrome fender accents with rubber gasket, like these:

$_3.jpg

When attached they should look something like this:
pt_3.jpg

They have an "L" shape, which allows you to attach them with self tapping screws or bendable metal clips to the lip on the inside of the wheel well.

Here is the issue. My rear fenders/wheel wells (2002 PT Limited) do NOT have a lip. They are flush to the body. Here's a pic.
20160421_181619e.jpg

My first question is, is everyone else's rear fender flush, or do some have a lip? I've come across some members here and the retailer I got the trim from telling me that the rear fender should have a lip.

Second question, what suggestion or methods have any of you used to mount these to your rear wheel well, assuming the wheel well DOESN'T have a lip?

I'd prefer NOT to use double stick tape.

I'm currently considering using epoxy to attach an "L" shaped piece of aluminum inside the wheel well, only at the mounting points that the fender trim would attach.

I haven't looked too deeply into it yet, so have to make sure that if I do that, I won't be causing any clearance or interference issues.

Any tips, tricks, suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Old 22 Apr 2016, 12:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Help/Suggestions for mounting fender trim

Funny. I remember 40+ years ago, one of the first things my Dad did to the 'cuda was remove that trim. A few years later he rolled the lip to fit bigger tires (on Keystones like Sox&Martin). Still have the trim pieces hanging next to it in the garage.

Sorry that story wasn't very helpful. Whatever you decide to do, be wary of anything that might trap moisture and dirt. That kind of thing will cause corrosion pretty quickly.
NitroPT, ptprice and Gkon like this.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 12:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Funny. I remember 40+ years ago, one of the first things my Dad did to the 'cuda was remove that trim. A few years later he rolled the lip to fit bigger tires (on Keystones like Sox&Martin). Still have the trim pieces hanging next to it in the garage.

Sorry that story wasn't very helpful. Whatever you decide to do, be wary of anything that might trap moisture and dirt. That kind of thing will cause corrosion pretty quickly.
funny how things go around in time...
Back then it was "CHROME BY GONE". Now it is SS and chrome trim "BEHAD" !

ptprice, Gkon and wingman55 like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 Apr 2016, 12:51 pm
Banned

ptprice and Gkon like this.

Last edited by rckstein; 25 Apr 2016 at 09:55 pm. Reason: Removed because some other member wants to run the entire forum
Old 22 Apr 2016, 12:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
funny how things go around in time...
Back then it was "CHROME BY GONE". Now it is SS and chrome trim "BEHAD" !

When I worked as a motorcycle mechanic, I'd tell the Harley guys
"Chrome won't get you home!".
Old 22 Apr 2016, 01:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
If your fender doesn't have a lip, what are the fender liners attached to? Can you take a pic looking down the side of the vehicle, part way in the wheel well?

My wheel well liner is in two small segments.

The center most portion of the wheel well has no liner, only undercoating, and no lip whatsoever. There is nowhere to attach the fender trim to. (that's the pic I uploaded in my original pic).

The front side of the wheel well (closest to the passenger door), has just a few inches of lip, and a small liner. I can mount the front corner of the fender trim to that, but that's all.
20160422_140351e.jpg

The back side of the wheel well has the mud-flap/liner, but the fender trim doesn't go down that far. It stops right where the body line meets the back bumper fascia. There is a TINY lip in that spot that I might be able to attach to, but maybe not.
20160422_140420e.jpg

Out of curiosity, does your rear wheel well have a lip and liner all the way around? If so, what year is it?
Old 22 Apr 2016, 01:22 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Keeping in mind that most of the Chrome trim on a PT is attached with dedicated high level adhesion exterior double faced tape. (see insert) This included the door spears, front hood emblem, rear lift gate handle and yep, even your worded accent trim like PT Cruiser, Limited edition, Touring Edition and such. The lower part of SOOO BIG's after market chrome grill is held in place with the same tape.

Your rear fender well innards aren't the exception to the norm, SOOO BIG's, a 2005 PT, are configured exactly the same.

Using epoxy as a joining agent will work but unfortunately it's also quite permanent and will probably involve paint damage upon any future removal.

I swear by the dedicated double faced tape and in fact an upcoming chrome belt line trim project for SOOO BIG will have the double faced tape backer for permanent adhesion, but as with any application of that tape, can be removed carefully in a pinch. Good luck.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3M double faced tape.jpg (80.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SOOO BIG's new set of dentures 005.jpg (90.3 KB, 15 views)
Gkon likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 22 Apr 2016 at 02:28 pm. Reason: syntax
Old 22 Apr 2016, 01:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Keeping in mind that most of the Chrome trim on a PT is attached with dedicated high level adhesion exterior double double faced tape. (see insert) This included the door spears, front hood emblem, rear lift gate handle and yep, even your worded accent trim like PT Cruiser, Limited edition, Touring Edition and such. The lower part of SOOO BIG's after market chrome grill is held in place with the same tape.

Your rear fender well innards aren't the exception to the norm, SOOO BIG's, a 2005 PT, are configured exactly the same.

Using epoxy as a joining agent will work but unfortunately it's also quite permanent and will probably involve paint damage upon any future removal.

I swear by the dedicated double faced tape and in fact an upcoming chrome belt line trim project for SOOO BIG will have the double faced tape backer for permanent adhesion, but as with any application of that tape, can be removed carefully in a pinch. Good luck.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
I've just installed chrome beltline with a 3M backing that adhered to the PT, as well as a rear spoiler that was stuck on with 3M double sided emblem tape.

With the fender trim, I would prefer to screw it on or use those bendable tabs that come with it.

IF I do epoxy brackets, it will be on the inside of the wheel well, so you can't see them and I don't think I'd have to take them off. My concern is regarding clearance and interference issues with wheel travel, for example.

Thanks for letting me know that SOOO BIG's rear wheel is the same as mine, and mine's not just some anomaly.
I asked the retailer and they tried telling me that I have non-OEM rear fenders. They then sent me a diagram to show me the
OEM fender, and it was a front. Haha. Needless to say, they weren't much help.
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by Gkon; 22 Apr 2016 at 01:50 pm.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 02:45 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

You might be able to mount the front trim taking advantage of using the same type affixing clips much like are attached to the front bumper cover to allow screws to hold the fender liner in place at the front of the wheel well. Placed correctly this'd give you hold down points for the front trim 'cause your driling through plastic. On the rear trim, not knowing the length or configuration of the built in mounts I can only suggest either re-configuring those mounts into tight retaining clips to hold the trim to the edge of the well opening, go with the epoxied mount that might be serviceable, or reconsider the tape. I wouldn't advise drilling holes in the metal of the rear wheel well. Good luck.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Gkon likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 02:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

The front shouldn't be an issue because it does have a lip.

For the rear,.I'm definitely not going to drill into the fender.

I'm hoping to hear from someone that already has this mounted.

I've searched YouTube and for threads on this forum but no luck.