PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
spoiler nut size? seen one at junkyard

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 May 2016, 12:47 am
Young Cruiser

Default spoiler nut size? seen one at junkyard

I was at the salvage yard last week and saw a pt with a spoiler. its a u-pik junk yard and i'll be picking up a few other items. want to make sure I have the correct socket without carrying the whole tool box. just taking the tools I need so I can get around all the cars without lugging my heavy toolbox.

i'm heading back this week to pick up the front left weather strip for the door and a few odds and ends.

every pt had in-tact B pillars that seemed to be pretty good (better than mine). only issue is, you have to get the windows down to get the trim off so you can get to the screws? they all have power windows. most of them are missing the switch cluster. so how do you lower the window? take a battery? break the window? I don't think that's advised.

this yard is so full of cars, you have to walk over them to get around. they have 9 pt's on the lot and they are scattered every place. I drew a map last visit so I knew where they were. i'm trying to carry a small tool bag so I can keep my arms free and be able to maneuver around the cars without getting hurt.
uncomn likes this.
Old 02 May 2016, 01:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: spoiler nut size? seen one at junkyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyjay View Post
I was at the salvage yard last week and saw a pt with a spoiler. its a u-pik junk yard and i'll be picking up a few other items. want to make sure I have the correct socket without carrying the whole tool box. just taking the tools I need so I can get around all the cars without lugging my heavy toolbox.

i'm heading back this week to pick up the front left weather strip for the door and a few odds and ends.

every pt had in-tact B pillars that seemed to be pretty good (better than mine). only issue is, you have to get the windows down to get the trim off so you can get to the screws? they all have power windows. most of them are missing the switch cluster. so how do you lower the window? take a battery? break the window? I don't think that's advised.

this yard is so full of cars, you have to walk over them to get around. they have 9 pt's on the lot and they are scattered every place. I drew a map last visit so I knew where they were. i'm trying to carry a small tool bag so I can keep my arms free and be able to maneuver around the cars without getting hurt.
It would take time but you can lower the window by removing some of the bolts holding the window assembly and motor inside the door.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 02 May 2016 at 01:54 am.
Old 02 May 2016, 06:26 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I agree with Steve- it's time consuming but really one of the only feasible options.

-2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT
-Patriot Blue, Bright Silver Metallic rear spoiler, billet grille, 17" chrome wheels, hyperground cable, Spectre short ram CAI
-119,000 miles and counting ...
Old 02 May 2016, 06:29 am
Veteran Cruiser

To answer your question, I THINK the nuts are 10mm. Take a 12 and 13 too. If you're going to take the door panel off, you'll definitely need the 10 and 13 anyway.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 02 May 2016, 04:57 pm
Young Cruiser

I got the spoiler. it was a purple/ plum crazy metallic. had some scratches and was sun faded, but it was an easy disassemble. there was no rubber nut covers. and the rubber insulators were stuck to the body. when I took them off, I ripped one side of the rubber. no biggy. i'll make a template and cut out new insulators. got it for $20

by the way, it was a 10mm wrench for the nuts

I also got the rubber weather strip for around the driver door. out of 9 pt cruisers on the lot, all but 2 were tore in the same place (where you scoot your butt into the seat). the other doors were perfect, but the driver door gets more traffic, and you cant help but drag the back of your pants on the weather stripping as you get into the car (especially with the seat all the way back).
paid $15 for that.

and lastly, the pillars....I brought a battery jumper with me and the cars that had keys, and switches, I was able to get one side of the pillars. problem was, not bending that bottom piece of molding that covers the pillar. I broke the first one I tried to get out. the next one was slightly bent afterwards. ended up getting all 3 on the drivers side and the front one on the passenger. paid $20.

finally, with a little help of some dental floss, I picked up a couple set of the door emblems (pt cruiser)

it was hot out there (95 degrees) and I was there at 9am. the guy didn't open till noon so he could arrange the cars after new junkers were dropped off. so I came back in the heat of the day. I think i'm done going there for a while. one trip was enough.
Old 02 May 2016, 05:07 pm
Young Cruiser

I've read some pt's have indicators that show where the spoiler goes. mine does. and there is some that don't. mine is a 2004 TE. the spoiler is a 2003.

its not very precise since the indents are all different sizes

(looks like I need to detail under the back hood. i'll put that on my list)
Old 03 May 2016, 06:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I will say this about drilling your hatch for the mounting studs of the spoiler.
It would be a great idea to revisit the yard and make a mounting template from the outside of the lid you got the spoiler from.
Take some heavy paper or cereal box cardboard to make the pattern. Place the pattern paper on the corner of the lid and tape it to the straight edge of the lid. To make sure it doesn't move. Trace the outside edge of the lid on the bottom with a marker or pencil. Now press down on the existing holes with your dirty thumb to mark the paper for each hole. Now mark the pattern top and bottom and outside with those words and arrows. Do the same on the other side.
Now you have a pair of drilling patterns. Now mark the bottom of each side corner take pictures of the bottom sides. These will give you an idea of where the holes will be in the cutouts underneath.
Lay your patterns on your deck just as they were on the donor car and mark the center of each hole with sharp punch. You should drill your holes with a much smaller bit than the end hole size. Now drill your holes. Check the inside pictures you took against the holes you have drilled. They should be near what you seen on your lid. If good remove the patterns and tape across all the holes to prevent paint chipping when drilling the big holes.
(Be advised that the alignment of these punched holes is not exactly the same on every lid so this is an approximation at best.)
Now makes several measurement comparisons from your new holes to their mates on the each side. You might tape the ends of the studs and hold the spoiler up while aligning with holes. They may not be quite right from left to right but that's ok as your mount holes will be larger than the studs to allow finish alignment.
If you're happy, go a head and drill your finish holes one size larger than bolt size. Dry mount the spoiler and see how you like it. If ok, then remove it and use fingernail polish to cover the raw edges of the holes to prevent rust.
After that dries, you can clean the mounting areas of the spoiler, check the gasket integrity and if you like, we did, run a tiny bead of Permetex or other sealer on the gasket and let it dry. Then mount the spoiler and tighten it down. Don't get crazy or you will break the studs from the spoiler. Just nicely hand tight with small ratchet and socket.
I have an extra spoiler which mounts with screws rather than studs/nuts and had those plastic cups with snap lids to cover them when mounted on the car I got it from. So it looks like some have studs and some have nuts mounted in the spoiler itself.
Note that the spoiler may need to be pulled slightly to "stretch" to drop studs in the holes on the lid so don't panic if that happens. Once they pop into the holes the spoiler should seat nicely on the lid.
These are things we learned when installing a spoiler on my son's 03 GT which did not have a spoiler from the factory. We used pictures from my 03 Dream and the car I got the spoiler from as well as the paper pattern taken from my Dream.
Hope this helps some one out. Nothing worse than a crooked spoiler on a lid with several slotted mounting holes under it.
Old 03 May 2016, 06:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

ON my 2001, they were perfectly round holes that showed exactly where to drill the holes. I had the dealer install mine before I took delivery.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 May 2016, 11:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer View Post
I will say this about drilling your hatch for the mounting studs of the spoiler.
It would be a great idea to revisit the yard and make a mounting template from the outside of the lid you got the spoiler from.
Take some heavy paper or cereal box cardboard to make the pattern. Place the pattern paper on the corner of the lid and tape it to the straight edge of the lid. To make sure it doesn't move. Trace the outside edge of the lid on the bottom with a marker or pencil. Now press down on the existing holes with your dirty thumb to mark the paper for each hole. Now mark the pattern top and bottom and outside with those words and arrows. Do the same on the other side
I was thinking exactly that. I am going back to the yard either Wednesday or Thursday and look at the car and the hole positions one more time. maybe take pictures to study too. i'll take paper/pencil to make a template. there is another pt with a spoiler in black. it is quite faded and scratched, but I will look at that one too. I want to see if there is a varience between the two. maybe it has the covers for the inside.

I currently have the spoiler all sanded down and bolted onto a mount I made out of boards and angle iron. I can clamp the mount onto my painting stand in my workshop/shed. (I paint guitars for a semi living and this will be about the same steps and paint process). by the way, I metal flake guitars in the old retro style of the 50s-60s. you can see videos on youtube by searching for southpawjay.
Old 03 May 2016, 11:14 pm
Young Cruiser

what did you guys use to make the gasket between the spoiler and body?

this spoiler had a rubber gasket that was stuck onto the spoiler and was shiny on the other side. part of it ripped while removing it. I decided if I was going to repaint, I had to remove the rest of the gasket and the sticky goo. that was a lot of fun.

I went to a few auto stores with a piece of the old rubber gasket to see if they had anything similar. went to lowes and home depot. couldn't find a match. I know I can use 3m mounting tape around the edges. but if I can find a match, i'd be happier.