Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By UnitD77
  • 2 Post By UnitD77
  • 1 Post By UnitD77

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2016, 05:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Installing Fog Lights Questions

I have an 05' Base model NA PT. It did not come with fog lights from the factory, so today I went to the junk yard and grabbed the MFS with fog light controls and the bulb housings with bulbs. Put both parts in and nothing changed. The MFS still works for everything except the fog lights, There was connectors where the fog lights go I plugged in.

My question regards the interior wiring. The fuse goes into pin 8 under the dash, I don't have any female pins to hold a fuse. What pins are for the fog light on the MFS connector? Where do the wires from the fog light connectors end so I can continue them? How would I wire the system to ensure the system works as if it was factory? From factory meaning MFS controls fog lights through a fuse in the factory fuse block, I am not going to ghetto rig a switch under the dash for fog lights.... That's for cutouts (that I don't have).

Last edited by UnitD77; 30 May 2016 at 06:11 pm.
Old 30 May 2016, 07:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Installing Fog Lights Questions

In order to turn on the fog lights from the MFS, your gonna have to have the dealer flash the PCM....about $100.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 30 May 2016, 07:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

The PCM reflash is for 06 and newer PTs.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 30 May 2016, 08:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

I managed to find the installation guide for the Mopar kit to add fog lights. Preliminary reading seams to take power from the headlight relay and run it through a fuse then to the bulbs, still need to find where the pre-existing bulb connectors leads and see if I can continue on those to the fuse. Ill post my results and findings as they occur.

Old 31 May 2016, 01:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

dunno if this link will work but here's the install instructions for accessory foglights on a 1st gen PT. It's from Starparts.

http://starparts.chrysler.com/info/default/k6858280.pdf
Old 31 May 2016, 01:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yes that is the instructions I found as well. Ill be making a guide for how to add them once I get them working.

Old 01 Jun 2016, 10:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

ok so i'm going to give an update on what I've learned.

Today being my day off I went around to dealerships and autopart stores. I needed to find the female inserts for the connectors, to no surprise they don't sell them in any reasonable fashion besides an entire harness. So I went back to the junkyard where I got my fog light housings and MFS and paid $3 a piece for 2 connectors (cluster 8-pin (for fog is on dash light), and MFS 20-pin connector for those inserts), and the jumper wires for the fuse block. Went back home hot and sweaty driving a car around with the dash ripped out and cluster hanging by 2 screws and non directional A/C blowing everywhere but towards me. So I took a break and came back to it later. Was able to wire the entire system under the dash and feed the power line to the fog lights through an existing grommet in the firewall. Had to run a jumper wire from the center post of the headlight relay to the #8 slot on the fuse block (short wire with two specialty inserts in each side). Then run the other side of the fuse to the MFS soldering each special terminal insert to each side. Then from the other terminal on the MFS run that wire under the dash, then solder 3 wires together, The wire from the MFS, the wire going through the firewall, and the 3rd wire going to the Cluster 8-pin connector.
And thats all I got done today, Bundled the wire in the engine compartment for tomorrow's after work project. Should finish it tomorrow.

Again I'll try to get a really nicely laid out and detailed instructions when I finish, for anyone else who wants to know how to wire in Fog lights on a PT that didn't get them from the factory and don't have wiring already installed.

Old 29 Jun 2016, 11:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Don't worry I have not forgotten about the clean write up about fog lights. I have recently been slammed with work and summer classes. 2 summer classes starting off hard and heavy and bumping up 10 extra hour a week of work have delayed me significantly. I should get a nice write up started and hopefully posted sunday... assuming nothing else comes up.
Evoscouter likes this.

Old 12 Dec 2016, 01:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitD77 View Post
Don't worry I have not forgotten about the clean write up about fog lights. I have recently been slammed with work and summer classes. 2 summer classes starting off hard and heavy and bumping up 10 extra hour a week of work have delayed me significantly. I should get a nice write up started and hopefully posted sunday... assuming nothing else comes up.
Just wondering if you ever got the chance to write this up? I too am trying to wire fog's into my 05 base. I have the harness at the lights but no wires at the fuse box. It is weird to me that they would run half the harness but not prewire all of it?
thanks

Tags
fog lights, wire fog lights