Advertisements
Wiper Blades w/ Spoilers? Chrome?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2016, 07:07 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Wiper Blades w/ Spoilers? Chrome?

G'day folks,

I wanted some chromed stainless wipers for my cruiser, to replace the rusty stock blacks, and add to the retro. I figured, with limited funds, if I'm going to dress her up, I may as well replace existing parts instead of adding new parts (like chrome trims)

Can someone explain what a spoiler exactly 'does'? I'd also like an aesthetic opinion, does the spoiler hurt the vintage look of the wiper? I don't mind them too much. Apparently spoilers appear on prestige vehicles, Peugeots and Ferraris, I can't find any chromed stainless wipers without spoilers.

It'll cost all up about $85 AUS to get them, imported from Britain, which I think is a good deal. Cheap stock black ones from the low end start at $20 each in the auto store. But a wiper is a wiper, there couldn't be a big difference in quality except for the finish.

Part two of this question is, where can I get wiper ARMS? Or would I be better off getting my arms chromed?

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chome Wiper.JPG (96.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Installed on car.jpg (48.3 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by 917K; 03 Jun 2016 at 07:11 am.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 07:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Wiper Blades w/ Spoilers? Chrome?

The chrome wiper arms can be bought at many stores here in the U.S. but not sure about where you are. Here's one:

Goodmark 3020-242-64P - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Just Google "chrome wiper arms" and maybe something will pop up that you can order in your area.

As far as the spoiler, on 99% of the cars, it's what you already said "aesthetic opinion". It's up to you to decide if it fits with the theme that your going for on your PT.
917K likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 07:43 am
Regular Cruiser

Cheers CREWZIN!

I'm in Aussie mate, so ordering overseas can get pricy but sacrifices must be made! How did you know those would suit the Cruiser? There are plenty of inexpensive stainless arms on eBay, but I have no idea how I can know if they'd fit or have the right angles.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 07:55 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 917K View Post
Cheers CREWZIN!

I'm in Aussie mate, so ordering overseas can get pricy but sacrifices must be made! How did you know those would suit the Cruiser? There are plenty of inexpensive stainless arms on eBay, but I have no idea how I can know if they'd fit or have the right angles.
In theory, I think the spoiler is supposed to help to keep the blade in contact with the windshield while the vehicle is moving, therefore, providing a better wipe of the glass. However, probably more hype and just appearance than actual benefit, might make your car "look" likes is going fast. What you need to look at is how the blades attach to the wiper arms. Most blades include several adaptors to be somewhat "universal" in attachment. But whatever blades you get need to be able to mount onto a "hook" type arm.
917K likes this.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
In theory, I think the spoiler is supposed to help to keep the blade in contact with the windshield while the vehicle is moving.
I guess I took that "spoiler" wrong. Though he was talking about the rear hatch spoiler.

As far as the chrome wiper arm. I Googled "PT Cruiser chrome wiper arm" and that was just one of them that came up. To be sure, measure yours and compare to what's being sold.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 11:00 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I guess I took that "spoiler" wrong. Though he was talking about the rear hatch spoiler.

As far as the chrome wiper arm. I Googled "PT Cruiser chrome wiper arm" and that was just one of them that came up. To be sure, measure yours and compare to what's being sold.
Yeah, if you look again at the pics of the wiper blades he posted, they have "spoilers."