PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New headlights.

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2016, 04:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool New headlights.

I have been dealing with hazy headlights, like many have, for several years now. I have sanded/buffed/polished and the like many times and after a while they would get cloudy and yellowed again. I could have clear coated them but the insides were also getting crappy looking, so I decided to get new light assemblies. My wife got them for me for Christmas and I just got around to installing them today.

I have seen many different options for lights, from MOPAR replacements at very high cost to very cheap aftermarket ones. I have also seen several 'custom' aftermarket ones and I found a set that I really liked the look of.
One of the more common ones has the outer ring of the headlights in black instead of the stock chrome. The ones I got are all black on the inside except for the actual reflector area for the lights.
I think they look pretty slick against the Patriot Blue paint!

The typical black surround:
Depo Pair Euro Style Black Bezel Headlights Head Lamps 01 05 for PT Cruiser | eBay

One like I got:
https://smile.amazon.com/Xtune-HD-JH...iser+headlight

I have a bunch of photos on my Google Photo account:
https://goo.gl/photos/JxxUUVmyJ5hWPxyZ8

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 23 Jul 2016, 05:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New headlights.

Those do indeed look darker. But we need some photos in the sunlight for comparison.

rckstein and rcktpwrd like this.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 07:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Arrow Re: New headlights.

I'll try and get a pic of the car outside tomorrow.

www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 24 Jul 2016, 10:52 am
Senior Cruiser

Post Re: New headlights.

I took a few more pics outside today, they are in the Google Photo link above.

www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 20 Sep 2016, 11:07 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm going to replace mine also, can't stand them anymore! A couple of questions. How hard was it to replace them? Is there anything to put on the new ones so it doesn't happen again? Do you have to get them re-aligned? The price you paid, was it for a pair? Thanks
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 20 Sep 2016, 11:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
I have been dealing with hazy headlights, like many have, for several years now. I have sanded/buffed/polished and the like many times and after a while they would get cloudy and yellowed again. I could have clear coated them but the insides were also getting crappy looking, so I decided to get new light assemblies. My wife got them for me for Christmas and I just got around to installing them today.

I have seen many different options for lights, from MOPAR replacements at very high cost to very cheap aftermarket ones. I have also seen several 'custom' aftermarket ones and I found a set that I really liked the look of.
One of the more common ones has the outer ring of the headlights in black instead of the stock chrome. The ones I got are all black on the inside except for the actual reflector area for the lights.

Depo Pair Euro Style Black Bezel Headlights Head Lamps 01 05 for PT Cruiser | eBay

One like I got:

They look really good against the blue! I got the same exact ones as a birthday gift last October and just got around to installing them a couple of months ago. My PT is silver, and I like that contrast, too.

Very nice rcktpwrd!
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 20 Sep 2016, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98gt View Post
I'm going to replace mine also, can't stand them anymore! A couple of questions. How hard was it to replace them? Is there anything to put on the new ones so it doesn't happen again? Do you have to get them re-aligned? The price you paid, was it for a pair? Thanks

You have a 2007 Convertible like mine, right?

If so, here's the ones I bought. I like the quality of the DEPOT brand and these with the black bezels were $126.95 for the pair with free shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Installation was easy, but this is the third set I've installed. It's much easier if you remove the bump cover and then fold the plastic inner fenders back out of the way. There's four 10mm nuts on the back of each headlight assembly and that's it. Install is easy except you have to turn the new headlight just right to get it in. There are little wheels on the back for adjustment. If your currently headlights are well adjusted, point your PT toward a wall, turn the headlights on, tape up some paper and mark the locations of the beams, high and low. Then change the headlights right there and adjust the new ones before reinstalling the bumper cover.

On mine, I did the fog lights too.

dougs and Gkon like this.
Old 20 Sep 2016, 11:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post

One like I got:

By the way, on mine, I had a bit of an issue installing the TS bulb in one of them. It didn't want to twist in properly. I eventually sorted it out, but it was hit-or-miss for a bit. Some sort of manufacturing issue.
I'm curious to know if you experienced any such issues?

Also on one of mine, when they attached the clear lens part to the black housing, they didn't but the two halves up all the way. Seemed it might cause an issue, so I carefully heated up the glue with my heat gun and then pushed them together all the way. Anything like that?
Old 20 Sep 2016, 11:41 am
Young Cruiser

The all black housing is the style I am looking at getting for my black vert, they all appear to be made by the same manufacturer, as none were available since March, and 5 different vendors (4 of which are on EBay) suddenly have them available as of mid-August.

Those who purchased the all black style as pictured by rcktpwrd, did you get them from an EBay or an Amazon vendor? All appear to be identical, and if I'm taking my front end apart on my totally shot back, I really only want to do it once. Luv the look of all aftermarket black ones, but the ALL black looks most custom.

Great pics rcktpwrd, they look awesome on your car
rcktpwrd and Gkon like this.
2005 PT GT Convertible HO Turbo Autostick ~ black/black leather ~ 53,000 miles ~ summer-only driver ~ OEM rear sway bar ~ K&N 57 series CAI ~ 4-wheel ABS ~ Hawk Sector 27 drilled/slotted rotors ~ Hawk Performance Ceramic pads ~ Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide-Oval performance tires ~
Old 20 Sep 2016, 11:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptopPTGTCruizer View Post
The all black housing is the style I am looking at getting for my black vert, they all appear to be made by the same manufacturer, as none were available since March, and 5 different vendors (4 of which are on EBay) suddenly have them available as of mid-August.

Those who purchased the all black style as pictured by rcktpwrd, did you get them from an EBay or an Amazon vendor? All appear to be identical, and if I'm taking my front end apart on my totally shot back, I really only want to do it once. Luv the look of all aftermarket black ones, but the ALL black looks most custom.

Great pics rcktpwrd, they look awesome on your car

They are not all the same. There's a lot of difference in quality. On both my 2005 GT and my 2007 Vert, I bought the DEPO brand. And I got them on Amazon. I've found some eBay sellers to be a little fishy when it comes to getting the actual brand of light you think you are buying. Here's the ones I got for my GT.

And here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Depo-333-1159...=333-1159P-US2

CruiserMike likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 20 Sep 2016 at 11:55 am.