Advertisements
Making the rear more visable at night

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2017, 11:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Making the rear more visable at night

Hi folks

Purchased a 2005 Cruiser about a year ago. (LOVE IT) Driving behind other Cruisers at night, I'm thinking I should be doing something to make the rear more visible to people driving behind me. Has anyone used reflective tape or stick on reflectors to do so? I'm looking at them on Amazon trying to visualize what they might look like. I don't want to ruin the look of my beauty, but really feel the need to create better visibility on the back panel. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07 Feb 2017, 05:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Making the rear more visable at night

I added the chrome inserts on the rear bumper which shine when headlights of the car behind me are on plus added an 18 inch flashing LED light to the rear spoiler that comes on when my brakes are applied.

You also have a red reflector on each of the back-up lights mandated by law.

As far as the red reflective tape, you could add a strip across the bottom of the tailgate that wouldn't look too bad if you wanted to.
podo2000 and CRUZ like this.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Feb 2017 at 06:02 am.
Old 07 Feb 2017, 06:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I added the chrome inserts on the rear bumper which shine when headlights of the car behind me are on plus added an 18 inch flashing LED light to the rear spoiler that comes on when my brakes are applied.

You also have a red reflector on each of the back-up lights mandated by law.

As far as the red reflective tape, you could add a strip across the bottom of the tailgate that wouldn't look too bad if you wanted to.
Do the chrome inserts shine because they have a special reflective surface, or just because they are chrome? Would be nice if you could capture that in a night pic.

To the OP, you probably could also find a reflective license plate frame.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 07 Feb 2017, 08:03 am
Veteran Cruiser

If you do add reflective to the back, my advice would be a cute reflective sticker or something, not the conspicuity tape that instantly labels you as a weirdo

Be creative. You can match the car so you only see it at night.. you can draw a picture, have "www.ptcruiserlinks.com" cut from reflective and slap it on the glass, etc.. be creative..I have fun with it

12017494_1170578576302273_206772765800222529_o.jpg

The red on this matches the van and can't be seen during the dayScreenshot_20170207-071144~2.jpg
Sorry it's funny I'm on my oh hi on n be... <- Sorry it's tiny I'm on my phone. Haha

Last edited by rob302; 07 Feb 2017 at 08:31 am.
Old 07 Feb 2017, 09:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petuna View Post
Hi folks

Purchased a 2005 Cruiser about a year ago. (LOVE IT) Driving behind other Cruisers at night, I'm thinking I should be doing something to make the rear more visible to people driving behind me. Has anyone used reflective tape or stick on reflectors to do so? I'm looking at them on Amazon trying to visualize what they might look like. I don't want to ruin the look of my beauty, but really feel the need to create better visibility on the back panel. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
The easiest and very good-looking solution is simply to installed a very bright LED bulb to illuminate the license plate. I've done this on all my cars and the license plate is the brightest thing seen at night. And it looks very nice too.

The bulb I use for this is the second item in this list.

It's very bright even in daylight.

CruiserMike and rob302 like this.
Old 07 Feb 2017, 02:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[QUOTE=rckstein;641771]Do the chrome inserts shine because they have a special reflective surface, or just because they are chrome? Would be nice if you could capture that in a night pic.

I also have the chrome license plate holder attached to the chrome pillows that are on each side of the plate and yes, the chrome itself is what shines when the car behind has their headlights on.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 07 Feb 2017, 05:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

LED brake lights, like Handy recommended. I have all of my brake lights swapped to nice LEDs. Can see for miles when I apply the brake at night. Careful though, I replaced my reverse lights thinking it would flood light effect when backing up, but the housing does not have reflectors inside, so it basically just made the old yellow lights a crisp white. Might be on my list to get some extra housings and foil line the inside to make them more reflective for LEDs.
CruiserMike likes this.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 07 Feb 2017, 11:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh, these are some wonderful idea's, thank you. I found a really cool reflective sticker on AMazon that I like. I may do that in combination with the light over the license plate. That's a handy idea =)
Old 08 Feb 2017, 08:37 am
Senior Cruiser

I put a set of chrome tail lights on SOOO BIG. I reasoned that as I had to replace the original broken tail light assemblies I chose these for their visibility and lower price than originals, not a fashion statement.

The visibility of the turn and emergency light being a bright yellow is another plus.

The fact that they look real neat is a bonus. The safety features of the red portion of those tail lights is that higher visibility with the lights on and the brakes applied.

I feel more than safe with these highly visible tail lights considering the stock over head brake light and the great stock red reflectors on the rear bumper. I feel secure that with safe, preventative, predictive driving by me, a driver behind me can see me at night. So far they done me in good stead.

Should I run out and get the newest rage, LED lights? Maybe, as long as I don't blind the driver behind me.

When needed during road situations demanding even higher visibility at night, during foggy situations or emergency moments while driving, I use the emergency flashers.

Could it possibly be that taken to a fault, high intensity illumination, much brighter than stock, and the "look at me" displays we see on the tail end of some trucks and cars are a blinding road hazard and over kill.

Happy Ptin', ptprice

IMG_1065.jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 08 Feb 2017 at 10:02 am.
Old 08 Feb 2017, 01:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitD77 View Post
LED brake lights, like Handy recommended. I have all of my brake lights swapped to nice LEDs. Can see for miles when I apply the brake at night. Careful though, I replaced my reverse lights thinking it would flood light effect when backing up, but the housing does not have reflectors inside, so it basically just made the old yellow lights a crisp white. Might be on my list to get some extra housings and foil line the inside to make them more reflective for LEDs.
Not to get off track on this, if you buy some "chrome" spray paint and paint the inside of the housing, it makes a large difference.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!