Red VHT Niteshades over blinker

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Odin
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Mar 2017, 04:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Red VHT Niteshades over blinker

I've never liked the white area in the taillight. I also don't like aftermarket options enough to spend money on them. I don't care for euro or altezza style lights, or the ones that have sections that protrude further than stocks. So I decided to try out the red VHT Niteshades. The black VHT looks good, but I have been behind a number of vehicles with it and it makes the brake lights very difficult to see. I ended up using 5 very light coats, with 2 coats of clear, and I think it looks really good.

image.jpg
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 18 Mar 2017, 04:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Red VHT Niteshades over blinker

I tried it but did not like the results. Either it was uneven for thickness and when you applied the brakes look odd or as you said was just to dark.

I chalked it up to nice idea but not user friendly.

I did my bumper lights and posted the pictures on the forum but cant find them....ROB HELP!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Mar 2017, 04:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hopefully you didn't spray over the reflector on the side of the light. That's a mandatory requirement in ALL states so the car can be seen at night with the lights off. The reflective "red" shows where the tail section is and the "amber" reflective surface inside the headlight shows where the front of the car is. If your state doesn't have an inspection, there's not too much to worry about.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Mar 2017, 06:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Hopefully you didn't spray over the reflector on the side of the light. That's a mandatory requirement in ALL states so the car can be seen at night with the lights off. The reflective "red" shows where the tail section is and the "amber" reflective surface inside the headlight shows where the front of the car is. If your state doesn't have an inspection, there's not too much to worry about.
The reflector is inside the housing. This is a transparent paint. So the reflector will still reflect through the red.

Nitro you bring up a good point in using transparent paints. To avoid striping. It should be sprayed with a 75% overlap. I plan on one light tack coat. The two wet coats using the 75% overlap. I may mask off the yellow part and color that first and a final coat over all to keep from getting to dark. Then clearcoat. I love the all red on the Red PT.
Odin likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Mar 2017, 06:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
The reflector is inside the housing. This is a transparent paint. So the reflector will still reflect through the red.

Nitro you bring up a good point in using transparent paints. To avoid striping. It should be sprayed with a 75% overlap. I plan on one light tack coat. The two wet coats using the 75% overlap. I may mask off the yellow part and color that first and a final coat over all to keep from getting to dark. Then clearcoat. I love the all red on the Red PT.
If I did it again I would mask the red area and put a couple coats on the white part, then remove the mask and put a couple more over the whole light as there is a slight difference in color between the two sections. I used to paint giant sculptures and ride cars for the theme parks in Florida, so I didn't have any issues with streaking. The 75% overlap is always a good rule of thumb with kandys and the like.
Old 18 Mar 2017, 06:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post

On the PT Cruiser forum that is now gone there was thread which JoeCruiser (I think) and one other member and myself posted and talked about using the VHT Niteshade paint. If you recall you and I had a conversation about how bad this paint was on the tail lights?

I found the bumper lights I painted but sanded off the paint.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Mar 2017, 06:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
On the PT Cruiser forum that is now gone there was thread which JoeCruiser (I think) and one other member and myself posted and talked about using the VHT Niteshade paint. If you recall you and I had a conversation about how bad this paint was on the tail lights?

I found the bumper lights I painted but sanded off the paint.
Ya, I remember that. I'm useind a automotive candy in a spay can. So I expect to lay nice without splotch. That may be another option for you. I'm sure you can get anything mixed in a spray can. Somebody kindly sent me mine. I brought this up for those considering doing theirs. I know you are as good with a spray can as I aim. And can make it look as good as it can be done my friend. I'm also going to use that high impact clear from Tamco on mine. So the finish will be as hard as it gets to damage it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com