PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Adding Fog lights quick Question

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Mar 2017, 09:12 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Adding Fog lights quick Question

Yeah. My 05 base just has the plugs and nothing else. Your not alone.

05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 21 Mar 2017, 10:42 am
Senior Cruiser

Evoscouter. You mentioned you've acquired a fog light harness. I found referring to the down load about the fog light circuitry sanatadharma supplied, helpful information. It's a Chrysler document I relied on as I corrected SOOO BIG's fog light problems last year.

With the whole kit, including a replacement fog light harness as you mention I'd suggest just installing it in totality to acquire fog light function. The document shows the placement and routing of the harness. Even down to snaking it through the firewall. It's a bit of work but would allow you to insure everything is connected to achieve function both under dash and under hood. During my pursuit to fog light function I traced back to ground points on the inner side of the drivers side front fender. SOOO BIG had the complete harness from the factory but short sections of it were burnt out and had to be found and rectified.

I've constructed complete wire looms during some of my restoration project. Having a dedicated harness is a luxury. SOOO BIG's real happy with his fog lights. Good luck with you worth while project.

Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_1077 (640x480).jpg
Evoscouter likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 21 Mar 2017 at 12:34 pm.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 04:27 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoscouter View Post
... I am hoping to find that chrysler conveniently brought the fog plug wire/wires all the way into the car....
The front lighting harness is one unit. The harness contains all the wiring from (and including) the two large connectors under the dash (C105 & C106), out to all front electrical systems.

This front harness includes the PDC (power distribution center) and all of the connectors for wipers, front lights, fogs, horns, cruise control, ambient air temperature sensor (more).

There are different harnesses (and parts numbers) for manual and automatic transmission cars and for different options. There are also several different dash harness part numbers.

The opposite end of the light-blue power wire at the fog light connectors, is at the C106 connector under the dash. The dash harness connects to this connector.

It is your dash harness that needs DIY wiring to duplicate the missing circuits as described in my earlier post. I suspect that if you put 12 volts to the light-blue wire pin at the C106 connector, your fog lights will illuminate.
ptprice and Evoscouter like this.
Old 23 Mar 2017, 11:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry been very busy the last few days, I am going to tackle this over the coming weekend. C106 does appear to be the place to look according to the service manual wiring diagrams. thanks again for everyones ideas. I will keep you posted.
ptprice likes this.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 12:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoscouter View Post
Sorry been very busy the last few days, I am going to tackle this over the coming weekend. C106 does appear to be the place to look according to the service manual wiring diagrams. thanks again for everyones ideas. I will keep you posted.
UPDATE.... All done, C106 gray/black locking lever. Lt Blue wire in position 1. Ran the chrysler ad-on harness as install instructions directed with one mod. instead of running through the firewall I simply did the interior portion and tied into the pre-wire that chrysler did.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 05:36 am
Regular Cruiser

Interesting addition to this thread, which I think is related....

My 2001 Touring came with fogs installed and we're unsure if they were factory or not. They seem wired as factory parts anyway. For some reason we found an additional switch fitted under the wheel in the lower dash cover with a fog symbol, which was weird. They don't work anyway. Not via the stalk or that weird switch, which ended up not being wired to anything anyway.

Whilst fault-finding our fan, I checked by the fuses and decided to look at the default fuse position for the fogs (#8). So there's a fuse in there and it looks like the correct value, but not an original. It's also flopping about like anything, as though there are no contacts in there to retain it.

Does this give any clues on what's happening here? Sounds to me that the jumpers with contacts weren't installed into the fuse block. Still not entirely clear whether it's some kind of screwed up repair of factory equipment or a botched install of a MOPAR kit.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use" - Søren Kierkegaard
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" - Christopher Hitchens
Old 17 Jul 2017, 06:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostheta View Post
Interesting addition to this thread, which I think is related....

My 2001 Touring came with fogs installed and we're unsure if they were factory or not. They seem wired as factory parts anyway. For some reason we found an additional switch fitted under the wheel in the lower dash cover with a fog symbol, which was weird. They don't work anyway. Not via the stalk or that weird switch, which ended up not being wired to anything anyway.

Whilst fault-finding our fan, I checked by the fuses and decided to look at the default fuse position for the fogs (#8). So there's a fuse in there and it looks like the correct value, but not an original. It's also flopping about like anything, as though there are no contacts in there to retain it.

Does this give any clues on what's happening here? Sounds to me that the jumpers with contacts weren't installed into the fuse block. Still not entirely clear whether it's some kind of screwed up repair of factory equipment or a botched install of a MOPAR kit.
Go this website and get the Build Sheet for your PT and see if it says anything about the fog lights as being installed from the factory when the vehicle was built:

https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.html

On the left hand side under YOUR VEHICLE click on Equipment Listing, then enter the vehicle VIN in the white box and click on the red Search box.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 17 Jul 2017, 08:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Amazing, thanks @rckstein. The car is currently having a nice relaxing coolant flush and system cleanout so I'll have a look into this tomorrow. I'm thinking that the fogs were added by somebody with little clue on what they were doing....hopefully it's just a case of me picking up where they left off and not having to repair any "choices" made....
rckstein likes this.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use" - Søren Kierkegaard
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" - Christopher Hitchens
Old 17 Jul 2017, 08:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostheta View Post
Amazing, thanks @rckstein. The car is currently having a nice relaxing coolant flush and system cleanout so I'll have a look into this tomorrow. I'm thinking that the fogs were added by somebody with little clue on what they were doing....hopefully it's just a case of me picking up where they left off and not having to repair any "choices" made....
A good start would be to follow these instructions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 19 Jul 2017, 12:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

I forgot to mention that I'd already come across that in a previous post. We're currently fault-finding a fan issue (yeah....that....) but we'll be looking into what happened here with the fogs in due course.

FWIW, this is what my VIN pull came up with:

https://www.dodge.com/webselfservice...FYNB9X1T503075

....is there a policy on posting VINs? Can't see why since they're as public as the colour or number of wheels.

Bingotastic:
  • Fog Lamps
  • Rear Fog Lamps

Sounds like somebody has been performing some silly buggery with my fogs (whilst it wasn't mine yet). Inconsiderate SOBs.
Carnut likes this.