PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Adding Fog lights quick Question

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Mar 2017, 11:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Adding Fog lights quick Question

Ok, I have an 05' Base. I have purchased and received the OEM fog light option kit with MFS, lights, and harness. My PT already has fog bulb sockets wired, where will I find the other ends to tie the new harness to? Is it already run through the fire wall or is there a leg sticking out somewhere near the Power Distribution block? Hoping to get this done today thank you!
Old 19 Mar 2017, 05:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Adding Fog lights quick Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoscouter View Post
Ok, I have an 05' Base. I have purchased and received the OEM fog light option kit with MFS, lights, and harness. My PT already has fog bulb sockets wired, where will I find the other ends to tie the new harness to? Is it already run through the fire wall or is there a leg sticking out somewhere near the Power Distribution block? Hoping to get this done today thank you!
I think it's fuse 11 - anyway, the cover to the fuse block should say "fog lts" or such and I think it's 10A? (again, it's on the cover).
If you have the sockets there, the rest ought to be in place to plug into.
You ought to find a hanging connector near the Multifunction switch and you should just have to plug in a fuse.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Mar 2017, 09:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Nope no wires in #8 of the interior Fuse block however my kit came with the jumper and all wires to complete. It appears that they "Chrysler" only included the sockets, and the wires disappear into the rest of the harness. I did not get a chance to dig that much today.

Here is the kit I got:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (94.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 19 Mar 2017, 09:20 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Link to PDF instructions for installing a MOPAR PT Cruiser fog light kit

Fuse #8 (15 amp) in the dash fuse block
Old 20 Mar 2017, 12:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
Thank you, however I have the instructions. I guess I need to clarify the question I am asking. I am trying to avoid running the entire new harness by tying into the existing harness that apparently was partially ran during manufacturing. My 2005 Base already has fog light sockets provided, I am just wondering where chrysler hid the other end...
Old 20 Mar 2017, 06:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
sanatanadharma, ya beat me to the punch. I always bow to the fog light gurru. I'd found the same info and was gonna post it this AM.
evoscouter has a break in his existing line. That he has an existing fog light circuit is evident 'cause of the fog light sockets. It was probably cheaper for Chrysler to use the same wires on each PT than not. With the trace info you've give him he ought to be able to back track his fog light circuit to a break. That's not gonna be easy but it can be done. You gave him a good visual. I check for a break in a wire loom by wrestlin' the sheathing aside and putting a pin through the right color wire to test for a break in current along the line using either the continuity or voltage feature on my electric tester.
If not he could return that beautiful MFS switch and go your route of a secondary switch. I'd fix the break or splice onto it at that point and use that dedicated MFS switch with the fog light switch embedded. Perhaps his old MFS switch'll work with the break in the wire corrected.

Happy PTin', ptprice
2.4 Cyl. DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. W/Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans., 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-Up Torque Converter, 16 X 6 Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring Tires, Touring Suspension.
Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, 3/8" Belt Trim, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel, Chrome Tail Lights, Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moonroof, Fog and Back Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats. Driver's Seat Power Height Adjust, Dual Front Under Seat Storage Drawers. Full Length Floor Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass console, Rear Shelf, AM/FM CD GPS Nav. Radio, 6 Premium Speakers. Back Up Camera w/Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 20 Mar 2017 at 08:03 am.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 07:57 am
Cool Cruiser

I built my fog light circuit on my 05 base myself instead of using the kit, and I could not find the location of where the power and ground from the bulbs ended in the engine bay. I do know that they are connected to ground, and the power wires are connected to each other. All you need is a power wire spliced into the power side of the pre-existing connectors. Then all the fun stuff under the dash that the Mopar kit should make super easy.
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:117,XXX Modifications: Copper plugs, Drop-in K&N, Airbox Mod+GT upper box, Color matched center bezel, Red PCV Cone Filter, Sony MEX-XB100BT Headunit, Mopar Subwoofer, Eibach Sway bars, Tein lowering springs, KYB monotubes (Rear), overhead console, Vanity mirror lights, cupholder light, LED Exterior (brake,turn,reverse) lights, Fog Lights, Chrome fuel door. Soon to come: TCS, Rear Disc.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 02:46 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

These are the places to look for existing wiring and connectors.
Starting at the multi-function switch connector, look for wires at pin's #13 (pink/light green) & 14 (light blue).

The pink/light green wire goes to fuse #8 (15 amp) in the dash fuse block.

Of the two light blue wires at pin #14, one goes to the instrument cluster idiot-lite; the other goes to the grey connector C106 behind/ below the fuse block, (26 pin connector).
From the other half of this connector, the light blue wire circuit goes through the firewall to the front fog-lamp connectors.

Fuse #8 is feed by a tan/black wire connected to pin #A4 at the headlight relay (on the fuse block).

Power to this relay is via a light blue/orange wire at pin #A5; it is spliced to the circuit out of the dash fuse block, fuse #1 (25 amps); also light blue/orange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoscouter View Post
Thank you, however I have the instructions. I guess I need to clarify the question I am asking. I am trying to avoid running the entire new harness by tying into the existing harness that apparently was partially ran during manufacturing. My 2005 Base already has fog light sockets provided, I am just wondering where chrysler hid the other end...
ptprice likes this.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 06:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

It's a real simple test if it's compatible with a 2007. This worked for me as I tested SOOO BIG's wiring but SOOO BIG's a 2005. Before you do it, Check to see if this is all right with our guru sanatanadharma 'cause the 2007 might be different that a 2005 like SOOO BIG.
Pull the 20-way Headlamp Switch connector in the back of your MFS switch. Then you can do a jump test of the fog light curcuit's completeness. Just jump # 13 and #14 and the fog lights should go on. With that power feed you can trace your wires to the break in the line. This should only work if your hooked to the fusing.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
2.4 Cyl. DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. W/Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans., 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-Up Torque Converter, 16 X 6 Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring Tires, Touring Suspension.
Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, 3/8" Belt Trim, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel, Chrome Tail Lights, Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moonroof, Fog and Back Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats. Driver's Seat Power Height Adjust, Dual Front Under Seat Storage Drawers. Full Length Floor Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass console, Rear Shelf, AM/FM CD GPS Nav. Radio, 6 Premium Speakers. Back Up Camera w/Monitor.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 09:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I appreciate all the idea's everyone. I guess I will just check for continuity by plugging a long wire into the positive on the fog light socket and poke wires with corresponding colors. As I said before it is an 05 base that never had fog lights installed. So with that said there is no wires at the 13,14 position of the 20 pin MFS plug. Also there are no wires going to Fuse 8 in the fuse block. I am hoping to find that chrysler conveniently brought the fog plug wire/wires all the way into the car.

Once I track them down I will post where they are located, I know I am not the only owner who has the plugs for fog lights and nothing else.