PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
sticker bomb fender?

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2017, 03:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default sticker bomb fender?

Hey does anyone know anything about sticker bombing. 2 ways to be done a wrap or actually stickers. Don't Kwon how to post pictures wit phone. I bean thinking about the gray color with a black hood. If someone could post pictures of the mod I'm talking about would appreciate it . HappY CRUISING.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 03:19 pm
Banned

Default Re: sticker bomb fender?

This is what comes up when I search "sticker bombing" is this what you want to do?

Rob will probably respond, looks just like a vehicle wrap, he may have some experience with it.
revo likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 31 Mar 2017 at 03:25 pm.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 04:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ya but just front fenders thinking of going with a grey color wrap . Change hood to a black color maybe chip guard bedliner black cleared top coat have a Marron color . So trying to come up with color schme. But I like fenders like 5hat or a diffrenrt design. Diffrent. Goes along with love or hate the pt cruiser has. Cool if I would say so.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 04:50 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

If it's gonna be like the photo rckstein posted, I saw a lot of stuff like that in Manilla on the Jeep Jeeps. To tie it in you'll need a lot of short tassles all around the windows. If it floats your boat, more power to you, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It may just end up being real cool! I wanna see it when it's all done.

I hope it'll be a Happy PT, ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 31 Mar 2017 at 06:21 pm.
Old 02 Apr 2017, 12:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

they sell it.. https://www.rvinyl.com/Sticker-Bomb-Vinyl-Wraps

i would assume all those places are selling unlaminated stuff on fairly cheap vinyl though. site says 3 year warranty.

3 year is what you're going to see if they use cheap crap and don't laminate it. it's not laminating like an ID or sheet of paper, it's basically a clear vinyl that is applied over the print. without it it will scratch, fade in the sun, ink will come off with chemicals, etc.. junk

it would be cool to come up with a pattern yourself. if you don't have photoshop, GIMP is free and there's a million videos + a forum on how to use it.
https://www.gimp.org/

if you draw your own picture, it should be around $10/sf at the lowest for it printed on good 3M wrap vinyl laminated with the a good 3M 10yr gloss laminate. the material is $1000/roll, the laminate is $1000 roll.

i would draw a picture, and then stop in a sign shop or two in your area.

there's 5 sign shops near me. 3 are clearly just in it for the money, and mine and another guy are both car people that like stuff like this when young minds want to print and play with stuff.. so around here you'd have a 2/5 chance of stumbling into a helpful shop you liked. ..or worst case, draw a picture and send me money. i'd do it for 10/sf on the good stuff which is basically the lowest it can be without losing money. i encourage you to find a local place though.
Busted_PT and ptprice like this.
Old 02 Apr 2017, 02:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not to toss a turd on the BBQ but keep in mind that some of the adhesives used with any type of vinyl can actually penetrate the paint and base coats and even further. For all but down to the metal sanding on a re-paint the new paint even fully and properly prepped can still lift and or bubble on the new finish.
The larger the area of coverage the greater the possibility of this happening.

Rob302 you might remember the 3m product application training class/seminar about cautions to this even with their products.
ptprice likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 02 Apr 2017, 02:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i had paint lift on a brand new $100,000 international tow truck last year, but other than that i've never had an issue. the paint in question lifted from the masking tape as well though so the truck went straight back for them to fix whatever they did wrong on their end.

paint always looks like new when i remove vinyl. only time i see damage to areas that were vinyled is when people that don't know what they're doing scrape it off, use a heatgun too aggressively, or use random chemicals to clean off the adhesive.

by far the most damage caused to cars that i see is from magnetic signs. people are supposed to take them off, and wash/dry them. i even provide care sheets and warn them, instead they just leave them on and let whatever dirt gets behind them slowly grind into the paint. sometimes they will bond to the paint and adhere permanently. this is usually on a work vehicle where proper cleaning is neglected and the paint was done very amateurishly(lack of prep, crap in paint, soft single stage enamel).

i've never taken a vinyl class. i do call 3M or Avery if i have a question. people that do full wraps can make more hourly if they get "vinyl certified".. i have no interest in wallpapering cars, so no need for those classes. from what i heard, they teach you a few tricks and then try to sell you their consumables- application aids, knifeless tape, tool bags, etc.. my favorite is 3M 94 primer they push. it's used in place of the proper prep that i do because it's faster. imagine using elmers craft spray glue in all your body panel edges to hold a wrap on and trying to remove that years later. the vinyl comes off and then...yuck.
Fk5 and ptprice like this.
Old 02 Apr 2017, 02:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

ptprice and revo like this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Apr 2017, 03:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Apr 2017, 03:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've also been researching pattern vinale like camouflage print black and gray. Trying to figure what to do just ordered rims and lowering springs. Want to do my cosmetics now since I installed stage 1 with a stage 2 waste gate so as of now I'm done with the go fast stuff. Until I'm ready to get the stage 2 from Sykes. Happy cruising.