• 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 2 Post By vermontpetey
  • 1 Post By ptprice
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 May 2017, 01:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Chrome decision confusion

If all goes well, I will be starting to put the beltline chrome trim back on "Retro" this weekend. I've been debating with myself about how I want to do this - particularly at the front where the chrome meets the grill.

My old grill was chrome (overlay), but the new grill will be painted black - at least for this year. The old grill and beltline trim looked like this in the front - trim followed body line (under) and ended at chrome grill:

One option would be to leave the grill all black, and have the chrome end in a taper - something like this except below the body line:

A second option would be to add chrome to the face of the grill like this, then extend the top piece around into the beltline trim:

Another idea I had was to do the above, but extend the trim onto the fenders to meet the curve in the front fender. I would then continue the top piece around the car to become the beltline trim. The closest image I could find was this (mine would be the poor man's version of this I guess...lol):

The last option would be to do it the way I originally had it, and send the grill out to be spray chromed. The spray chrome portion of this plan would have to wait until next winter:

I'm looking for thoughts and feedback on these ideas, or for other ideas that anyone might have...

Last edited by vermontpetey; 16 May 2017 at 03:06 pm.
Old 16 May 2017, 02:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Chrome decision confusion

I think a completely chrome grill would look great on your black car. It will make that custom grill look much more dramatic.
vermontpetey likes this.
Old 16 May 2017, 02:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

This is closer to what I was referring to in the third option above, but the trim would be narrower...

To give the illusion of looking like this:

Last edited by vermontpetey; 16 May 2017 at 02:48 pm.
Old 16 May 2017, 04:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'm really pleased with the first generation replacement chrome grill on SOOO BIG. It's literally a family heirloom as it was on my son Steve's PT Aquacruiserpt for years before a front end crunch that didn't damage the chrome grills allowed Steve to opt out for the original look for his 2001 PT. He chose to go back to the painted grill.

SOOO BIG ended up with the grills. I like the more massive but understated look of this replacement grill over the thinner chrome of the original W.P. Chrysler signature series chrome grills. It also reflects the original design intent of not having the heavy look of that chrome on the outside edges of the later replacement chrome grill. During SOOO BIG's reincarnation one of the projects was replacing the front bumper cover and grills. I chose to use the heirloom chrome grills instead of the much more expensive replacement originals.

You might find one of these oldies but goodies on Ebay. It looks good against the Cool Vanilla White of SOOO BIG and I'm sure it would be understated addition to your black PT Vert. That type grill would also coordinate well with your belt line chrome. Figuring this'n is well over sixteen years old you might say they last forever.

The first photo is SOOO BIG on red nose day, the second is surviving hurricane Mathew, the third is before I installed the chrome belt line and finally SOOO BIG du' jour.

Just another opinion.

Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0908 (800x600).jpg

SOOO BIG's new set of dentures 005 (640x480) (2).jpg

SOOO BIG does't need suspenders anymore 002 reduced_NEW.jpg
vermontpetey likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 16 May 2017, 04:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpetey View Post
This is closer to what I was referring to in the third option above, but the trim would be narrower...

To give the illusion of looking like this:

I would go with this one, some strips of chrome with the black background, would balance with the rear as it would also be some chrome strips on a black background.
vermontpetey likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
147k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 17 May 2017, 08:56 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I think a completely chrome grill would look great on your black car. It will make that custom grill look much more dramatic.
I like the idea - just have to wait until next winter if I'm going to do that. It would need to be sprayed chrome and no one around here does that. Might be an upgrade next winter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
I'm really pleased with the first generation replacement chrome grill on SOOO BIG. It's literally a family heirloom as it was on my son Steve's PT Aquacruiserpt for years before a front end crunch that didn't damage the chrome grills allowed Steve to opt out for the original look for his 2001 PT. He chose to go back to the painted grill.

SOOO BIG ended up with the grills. I like the more massive but understated look of this replacement grill over the thinner chrome of the original W.P. Chrysler signature series chrome grills. It also reflects the original design intent of not having the heavy look of that chrome on the outside edges of the later replacement chrome grill. During SOOO BIG's reincarnation one of the projects was replacing the front bumper cover and grills. I chose to use the heirloom chrome grills instead of the much more expensive replacement originals.

You might find one of these oldies but goodies on Ebay. It looks good against the Cool Vanilla White of SOOO BIG and I'm sure it would be understated addition to your black PT Vert. That type grill would also coordinate well with your belt line chrome. Figuring this'n is well over sixteen years old you might say they last forever.

The first photo is SOOO BIG on red nose day, the second is surviving hurricane Mathew, the third is before I installed the chrome belt line and finally SOOO BIG du' jour.

Just another opinion.

Happy PTin', ptprice

Attachment 22152

Attachment 22153

Attachment 22154

Attachment 22155
I like that overlay ptprice! I always thought your top grill with my bottom grill was the best arrangement on a stock grill. Because I'm going to the PTeazer front end, I have to go another route...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I would go with this one, some strips of chrome with the black background, would balance with the rear as it would also be some chrome strips on a black background.
I'm leaning this way - just don't know if it will end up looking "overdone". Guess I could always take it off if I don't like it...

Hmmmmmm - decisions, decisions...