• 1 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By ptprice
  • 1 Post By jimhoysa
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jun 2017, 09:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Default trunk lid letters

hi I just replaced my rusty trunk lid on my 2005 with another that I painted. is there an easy way to remove the letters "touring edition and 2.4 turbo" and install them on the newly painted one? I thought of clear taping them and using a razor blade to remove the ad using spray glue to install them on the new lid. does anyone have any ideas ? thank you, jim hoysa
Old 22 Jun 2017, 10:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: trunk lid letters

Removing that will not damage the emblems...fishing line....then WD-40 to clean everything up.

I de-badged (debadgered on the other thread) my 05 GT of everything that had PT Cruiser emblems and decal even in the door jams and under the hood.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 22 Jun 2017 at 10:08 pm.
Old 23 Jun 2017, 01:42 am
Veteran Cruiser

I would recommend using something ike a them cable or guitar string to cut them off in a "flossing motion". If you do use a razor, work from the bottom of the lettering and once you get them started, try prying them up gently with a flathead or small putty knife. Pro tip- When i use razors on cars i usually round the corners a bit and slightly dull the edge with fine sandpaper.

Then clean the tape and glue off the backs of the letters. After they are clean, get some 3M 'VHB" (very high bond) tape from a hardware or auto parts store.

Carefully put the tape on the backs of the letters (leave the red plastic liner on the tape)

Lay the letters out on the table How you want them, and put a piece of masking or whatever normalish tape over the front of the letters to keep them in a row, tape a thin strip of cardboard approximately an inch wide over the top of that for rigidity, and then flip it over.

Lay a strip of masking tape on the car right under where you want the lettering to go. Step back and make sure it's straight, and then peel the red liner off the double stick tape you put on earlier, and apply it to the car while using the masking tape as your guideline. Keep left and right distances in mind as well.

I recommend heating the metal before trying to remove the lettering. I would also clean the wax off the car with strong chemicals before adhering the letters to their new home. Gas, denatured alcohol, etc work well.
ptprice likes this.
Old 23 Jun 2017, 08:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I use 3m adhesives it tends to be a much better finish application. Also you can align the emblems without worry of them sticking to quickly during positioning.

3M Plastic / Emblem Adhesive Clear - 08061

Read the use instructions completely for best finish project.
ptprice likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 23 Jun 2017, 08:54 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I reused all of SOOO BIG's emblems after his parts off reincarnation.

I found, as explained, that using a fine line, in my case fishing line or steel leader to carefully "saw" the letters away from the painted surface is preservative and successful. I initially tape the letters you're removing on top to preserve the continuity of alignment. Also be sure to not saw off the narrow foam padding that's between the adhesive surface and the back of the letter. This process is made easier, if you can, by applying a bit of heat to the area with a heat gun. It worked w/o heat many times as I scrounged the yards for letters. I did also find there are different tones of chrome from year to year as you search for that one necessary replacement letter.

I used a product called 3M PRESS IN PLACE EMBLEM ADHESIVE TAPE, Item # 8069 It's a dedicated product and a lot less messy than the spray on adhesive. SOOO BIG's "new" emblems have now been in place for well over a year and a half w/o any failure. Locally the 3M PRESS IN PLACE EMBLEM ADHESIVE TAPE can be purchased in a pack or in individual strips @ $4.75 per strip.

I really can't understand anyone would want to spend big bucks when this easy, reasonable priced means for emblem replacement is a viable option.

I even did some modification with a bit of nip and tuck to spell out "PRICE'S" on the driver's side door. All told this reuse of emblems saved me big bucks. All of the used salvage yard emblems I picked up cost me in total less than $5.00

I've documented the do-over on my user CP under the title "New" emblems for SOOO BIG". I may have posted this info on the Forum at that time but I don't know how to find the thread. Good luck on a successful project. Remember it's necessary to "press" to activate this adhesive product. It's a bit forgiving if you wish to relocate, but this is the tendency of most adhesives. Essentially, 3M has designed this product specifically for this application. and the results on SOOO BIG are the proof in the pudding.

Happy PTin', ptprice

Here's a few photo I scrounged up; The first photo is of the newly removed and aligned LIMITED EDITION emblem.The second photo is peeling the protective backer from the newly applied 3M EMBLEM ADHESIVE prior to application! The third is the actual product, fourth is the application stage and finally my "PRICE'S emblem in place.

Let us know how it works out.

emblem istallation with 3M 08069 PRESS-INPLACE emblem adhesive 007 (640x480).jpg

emblem istallation with 3M 08069 PRESS-INPLACE emblem adhesive 004 (640x480).jpg

37779-albums950-picture5941t.jpg

37779-albums950-picture5935t.jpg

37779-albums950-picture6541t.jpg
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 25 Jun 2017 at 10:57 am.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 07:56 am
Young Cruiser

hi guys, thanks for all the info. I found the dealer was too expensive. I am going to a pick and save this week and practice a little before I try it on my own with my trusty fishing line. thanks again and will let you all know how I make out! thanks again, jim...
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 08:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here are the numbers for the replacements.

Touring Edition Badge 5303588AA
Turbo 2.4L Badge 5303506AA

If you want new replacements, they are going to be about $50 each from one of the online Mopar clearing houses. Don't buy from eBay or Amazon. The original parts diagrams for these can be confusing. And second hand sellers seem to get it wrong in lots of the ads.

The suggestions given by NitroPT to remove with fishing line and remount with 3M emblem glue is good advice if the badges are reusable. That would be what I would do if I wanted to reuse the old ones. That 3M glue holds well and is fairly easy to cleanup after the fact. I use it for a number of things. The problem is getting all those letters exactly in the right place. New badges come on plastic where you can mount the whole thing together. So spacing the letters isn't usually required. If me, I'd trace over the badges with pencil and paper before removing them and then use that as a guide.

Also, this a chance to do custom badging as well if desired. There's lots of cool nice looking stuff out there. Just browse eBay and Amazon. And there's companies that do custom stuff too.

CREWZIN likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 25 Jun 2017 at 08:47 am.
Old 25 Jun 2017, 11:36 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
I reused all of SOOO BIG's emblems after his parts off reincarnation.

I found, as explained, that using a fine line, in my case fishing line or steel leader to carefully "saw" the letters away from the painted surface is preservative and successful. I initially tape the letters you're removing on top to preserve the continuity of alignment. Also be sure to not saw off the narrow foam padding that's between the adhesive surface and the back of the letter. This process is made easier, if you can, by applying a bit of heat to the area with a heat gun. It worked w/o heat many times as I scrounged the yards for letters. I did also find there are different tones of chrome from year to year as you search for that one necessary replacement letter.

I used a product called 3M PRESS IN PLACE EMBLEM ADHESIVE TAPE, Item # 8069 It's a dedicated product and a lot less messy than the spray on adhesive. SOOO BIG's "new" emblems have now been in place for well over a year and a half w/o any failure. Locally the 3M PRESS IN PLACE EMBLEM ADHESIVE TAPE can be purchased in a pack or in individual strips @ $4.75 per strip.

I really can't understand anyone would want to spend big bucks when this easy, reasonable priced means for emblem replacement is a viable option.

I even did some modification with a bit of nip and tuck to spell out "PRICE'S" on the driver's side door. All told this reuse of emblems saved me big bucks. All of the used salvage yard emblems I picked up cost me in total less than $5.00

I've documented the do-over on my user CP under the title "New" emblems for SOOO BIG". I may have posted this info on the Forum at that time but I don't know how to find the thread. Good luck on a successful project. Remember it's necessary to "press" to activate this adhesive product. It's a bit forgiving if you wish to relocate, but this is the tendency of most adhesives. Essentially, 3M has designed this product specifically for this application. and the results on SOOO BIG are the proof in the pudding.

Happy PTin', ptprice

Here's a few photo I scrounged up; The first photo is of the newly removed and aligned LIMITED EDITION emblem.The second photo is peeling the protective backer from the newly applied 3M EMBLEM ADHESIVE prior to application! The third is the actual product, fourth is the application stage and finally my "PRICE'S emblem in place.

Let us know how it works out.

Attachment 22942

Attachment 22943

Attachment 22944

Attachment 22945

Attachment 22946
As an expansion on what I've mentioned above.
I found that keeping the emblem letters aligned with an over lay of masking tape before I "saw" them off after finding them at the salvage yard is the easiest way to keep a definite continuity of alignment.
I was recommended the 3M PRESS IN PLACE EMBLEM ADHESIVE TAPE, Item #8069, by the owner of the shop when he did SOOO BIG's reincarnation. the supply store where I bought the tape made the same suggestion. Having used a 3M Adhesive Spray successfully on art projects I don't at all demean its use and quality. To me, it just seemed a bit messy for this application. Maybe that's why 3M offers the tape?

Here's a low bucks solution to high bucks custom emblems; With letters you remove at the salvage yard you can come up with a variety of custom applications. In my case a simple modification of an "R" to a "P" and using the leg of the "R" as an apostrophe I spelled out PRICE'S PT
Just about any name, in the possessive with an apostrophe and an "S" with the following "PT" make it personalize to you. Give it a try. Your only limitation is your imagination. let us see what you come up with.

Happy PTin', ptprice

SOOO BIG's new vanity plate 005 (640x480).jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.