Advertisements
IPCW TAIL LIGHTS

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2017, 12:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question IPCW TAIL LIGHTS

hello i have a set of ipcw tail lights and when plugged in the red lights very bright as though you have brakes on but it's just the running lights when hitting on brakes you can barely se difference chaged 2 wires didn't help at all is there somethin i'm missing coverter plug somebody said . i have 2007 pt
Old 05 Jul 2017, 12:50 pm
Banned

Default Re: IPCW TAIL LIGHTS

What brand of bulb are you using and is it the correct #? It should be a 3157 for the rear tail/stop.
Old 05 Jul 2017, 12:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Are these new, just installed? Have they been on the Cruiser and the problem just started? One side or both? It might be a good idea to check the ground.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 05 Jul 2017, 12:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

they don't have seperate bulb they are part of the light

Last edited by intrepid1994; 05 Jul 2017 at 09:45 pm.
Old 05 Jul 2017, 06:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

if you have a Frys, microcenter, radio shack, or similar nerd store near you, you might try a low voltage drop diode like a 1n5400 on the overly bright bulb's power wire.

you can chain these together to dim things down. i would expect it to drop about .5 to .7v per diode. so if you connected 3 in a row you'd drop the bulb voltage by somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 to 2.1v. there are other ways to do this, the 1n5400 is just common and easy, used for a wiiiiide range of things. google it (:

i would consider this as a crutch for a poorly designed taillight if the bulb bright to brighter change is more apparent when you look at the bulb while not installed in the housing.

if the change when you step on the brake is not very noticeable even when the bulb is out of the housing, you might question the condition of the ground wire, assuming the high and low filaments share a common ground. as in maybe the parking light filament dims as the brake light filament illuminates.

i make signs though, i'm no electrician. so this is just an "if it were my problem" thought.
Old 05 Jul 2017, 06:18 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid1994 View Post
hello i have a set of ipcw tail lights and when plugged in the red lights very bright as though you have brakes on but it's just the running lights when hitting on brakes you can barely se difference chaged 2 wires didn't help at all is there somethin i'm missing coverter plug somebody said . i have 2007 pt
Did you get the IPCW colored or clear bulbs?

https://www.carid.com/ipcw-inprocarw...-cwb-3157.html

"Features:

Increases light output
Gives style to your car
Extremely resistant to vibration
No modifications required
Easy and quick installation"

If you got the colored bulbs you should only put a clear bulb in the stop/tail light socket as the lens is already colored. If you got the red bulb and have a red lens, that may be why you don't see any difference when applying the brakes, you have too much red.

Or it could also be because you have a Gen2 PT with the CANbus system, you may need to stick to a standard incandescent bulb if the bulbs you got are some LED variation.

Last edited by rckstein; 05 Jul 2017 at 06:37 pm.
Old 05 Jul 2017, 07:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I had the IPCW tail lights at one time. Don't seem to remember having a problem with them or having to do any extra wiring on my GEN 1 cruiser. Like Rckstein said, maybe it's the CANBUS system if you have a newer PT that's causing the problem.

I sold them because I didn't think they went along with the retro look of the cruiser.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 05 Jul 2017 at 07:03 pm.
Old 05 Jul 2017, 09:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
What brand of bulb are you using and is it the correct #? It should be a 3157 for the rear tail/stop.
they don't use bulbs there led lights in lights
Old 05 Jul 2017, 09:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Did you get the IPCW colored or clear bulbs?

https://www.carid.com/ipcw-inprocarw...-cwb-3157.html

"Features:

Increases light output
Gives style to your car
Extremely resistant to vibration
No modifications required
Easy and quick installation"

If you got the colored bulbs you should only put a clear bulb in the stop/tail light socket as the lens is already colored. If you got the red bulb and have a red lens, that may be why you don't see any difference when applying the brakes, you have too much red.

Or it could also be because you have a Gen2 PT with the CANbus system, you may need to stick to a standard incandescent bulb if the bulbs you got are some LED variation.

they don't use bulbs and yes i have a 2007
Old 05 Jul 2017, 09:59 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid1994 View Post
they don't use bulbs and yes i have a 2007
What is the IPCW model # of the taillight housing that you got?

From the IPCW website their LED taillights are only for the '01-'06 PT's:

https://www.inprocarwear.com/

I suspect that they actually mean that these lights are for the '01-'05 PT's because for '06-'10 the electrical system changed.
CREWZIN likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 05 Jul 2017 at 10:39 pm.