Advertisements
2005 trunk release handle

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By jimhoysa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2017, 12:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 trunk release handle

Hello, i own a 2005 pt cruiser with the trunk that requires a key to open. I went to the junkyard today and found a trunk handle that you can pull up to unlock and was trying to convert it to the new style. I ran into an issue where the latch assembly isnt releasing like its supposed to. I was wondering if anyone has done this conversion and what they did to fix the issue that im running into. Sorry if the post doesnt make sense, im new to pt cruisers and dont know all the terminology that is used. Thanks
Old 20 Jul 2017, 12:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 trunk release handle

Welcome to the forum

Your PT should have an electric touch pad switch under the handle that has probably failed. How long have you owned your PT? And the electric hatch lock release has never worked, therefore you have to open it with the key?

You can follow the instructions in this thread to do a mod to the rear handle assembly, or replace the entire assembly which is much harder to do.

Liftgate touchpad replacement

When you get a chance please go to Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum and create an intro thread telling us a little about yourself and your PT.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 20 Jul 2017, 03:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ill have to take a few photos tomorrow so people have a better idea of what im talking about. My pt did not come with a sensor switch on the bottom. Its almost a base model but has power windows and the 12v constant. It doesnt have power mirrors or power locks though, so im not entirely sure what model of cruiser it is.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 09:13 pm
Young Cruiser

hi , the base models did not come with a touch pad, only a key. I installed a touch pad and lock assy. from another 2005 pt and rewired to work and also put a button in the dash ( traction control from another car) to open the trunk from the inside. it just takes a lot of figuring. jim hoysa
Old 23 Jul 2017, 12:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhoysa View Post
hi , the base models did not come with a touch pad, only a key. I installed a touch pad and lock assy. from another 2005 pt and rewired to work and also put a button in the dash ( traction control from another car) to open the trunk from the inside. it just takes a lot of figuring. jim hoysa
The only handle assembly listed in the '05 Parts Catalog includes the touch pad switch. It almost sounds like the OP was wanting to retrofit to his PT the earlier Gen1 split handle assembly.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 24 Jul 2017, 11:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am trying to install the split handle on the trunk. Problem i ran into is the handle itself fits, but i cant install the guts to the assembly due to the fact that my cruiser doesnt have power locks. The latch assembly on mine is actually more wide then the 05 that i pulled the latch assy from. Another problem i ran into is that when i zipted the 2 arms that run the release for the latch it took away me being able to lock my trunk. I need to do a few more junkyard runs to really see how the setup works and how i can jerry rig it in my favor.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 08:58 am
Senior Cruiser

SOOO BIG, a 2005 PT, has the electric touch pad to open the rear hatch and a rear hatch key. It was factory installed.

For over a year the electronic feature of the touch pad door latch didn't function in any respect as the touch pad switch had failed in the open mod and this inturn burned out the rear hatch lock portion of the Remote Keyless Entry Module. The touch switch is the weak point in this feature.The module still serviced the remote for the door locks as it's a two service unit, door locks and rear hatch lock.

During the interim of saving up to get a new replacement RKEM and rear hatch touch pad latch I open the rear hatch using the key. No big deal.

I'd considered going with the earlier mechanical rear hatch latch unit as you are but it looked like I'd also have to replace the rear hatch lock assembly. It appeared even the key assembly guts had to be exchanged involving carrying a second key just for the rear hatch, if I could find a salvage PT with a key.

I'd still be opening the rear hatch with a key but I found a good buy on a new replacement rear touch pad hatch latch and RKEM. Attached is a photo of that new RKEM in place and SOOO BIG's new rear hatch touch pad latch.

If you PT indeed doesn't have the remote keyless entry feature I'd pass on trying to install the feature electronically. If your trying for the earlier mechanical feature, in either case you'll have a big job scrounging enough PT salvage yard parts to achieve this. There's a certain simplicity of just turning the key to open the rear hatch unless you can find a way to make the exchange. Good luck.

Happy PTin', ptprice

diagnosing and replacing lift gate handle and RKEM 17 (640x480) (2).jpg

IMG_1808 (480x640).jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 25 Jul 2017 at 10:00 am.