PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear hatch wind eflector?

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2018, 05:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Rear hatch wind eflector?

I'm kind of sort of looking for a wind deflector to keep the rear window cleaner. Does such a device exist for PT?

My 06 has a sort of flat add on that isn't doing a thing. I've seen the arch ones that won't bring wind towards the body since it is open.

These were common on 70's station wagons, it is basically an aluminum strip and some brackets at a near vertical angle to catch wind along the roof and direct it to the rear window area.

Last edited by 06_PB6_TOURING; 13 Jan 2018 at 11:15 am.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 06:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rear hatch wind eflector?

I have the same "low profile" deflector on my PT, that you have on yours:

(not my PT)

There are several different styles, this one is a little different that you don't normally see:

One issue with removing the stock "low profile" deflector is that there is a central hole in the hatch that a matching peg on the back of the deflector keys into. If you remove the existing deflector, then you will have a hole in the hatch to deal with covering up. Some others have used a plug to fill the hole. If you went with the style of deflector that I pictured above, it might cover the hole. But you won't know until you try it.

Here's another style that kicks up a little bit at the back edge:

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
157k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 12 Jan 2018, 07:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks, now I know that they exist to some extent and I'm not chasing nothing.

Pic 2 would work if the top is open.

Pic 3 is more of a front windshield visor and would not help me.

I did get a hood bug shield in hopes I can see the front of car a bit better. I'm tall and am literally looking through the top 4" of the windshield and still can't see where the car ends. I will paint the front of bug body color and leave the back smoke. This dark line will be a reference point. I'm also wishing for a non top shaded windshield.

Also got stick on side window rain guards. The plan is to paint this body color as well since I'm going for function not look.

Wish I had more time today to prep / install some of this and ditch the tinted driver / passenger windows.
wingman55 likes this.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 09:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

You might like the stock one like I have on SOOO BIG. It does keep that rear hatch window quite clear.

Of course aerodynamically it allows him to leap tall buildings in a single bound and reach land speed records in excess of 275 MPH!

HAppy PTin', ptprice

IMG_1923 (640x480).jpg
Carnut likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 11:14 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
You might like the stock one like I have on SOOO BIG. It does keep that rear hatch window quite clear.

Of course aerodynamically it allows him to leap tall buildings in a single bound and reach land speed records in excess of 275 MPH!

HAppy PTin', ptprice

Thanks, the arch one is what I referenced in post 1. I'd be concerned that it would work with salt / snow spray that you don't have in the sunshine state.

I got the 06 as strictly a winter car. My parameters were some sort of wagony thing and this popped up.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 11:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_PB6_TOURING View Post
I'm kind of sort of looking for a wind deflector to keep the rear window cleaner.
what's wrong with just using the wiper?

i see people showing you wings but IMO that would cause the window to get dirty even faster. a wing keeping the window clean makes 0 sense. if you have a wing directing the nice clean air above the car away from the glass, you'll be replacing it with dirty air from around the sides and bottom of the car plus you'll be funneling a larger portion of that dirty air to the window

ptprice likes this.

Last edited by rob302; 13 Jan 2018 at 11:33 am.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 03:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

When a car goes through the air, a vacuum is generated directly behind the car. This sucks road spray up the back hatch and window. Air over the roof directed down by a deflector ( not wing ) has less spray and the rear window stays cleaner as a result of deflecting this air.

Yep, rear wiper was put there to serve this purpose. Given this is the first car I've had with a rear wiper I sort of forgot about it. ( even though I replaced the blade and lubed the arm pivot as part of my 1,000 point refurb. )

The rear wipe would need to be monitored as leaving it run all the time will scratch the glass in the dry were as a deflector is always on.

Last edited by 06_PB6_TOURING; 13 Jan 2018 at 03:30 pm. Reason: more info
Old 13 Jan 2018, 03:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i get it. that's why i don't understand why people keep posting wings. actually i think the black one above might be it, they have holes in the top and the pic doesn't show it.

i would call to verify it actually exists
GT Styling 56661: Aerowing Rear Window Deflector | JEGS

Last edited by rob302; 13 Jan 2018 at 06:06 pm.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 10:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ding ding, we have a winner. Thanks. This is what I was looking for. Now that I know it exists I can dig around for one.

Last edited by 06_PB6_TOURING; 14 Jan 2018 at 09:33 am.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 11:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This was some info I posted in another thread on another style of rear air deflector:

I came across this different kind of rear air deflector that was a genuine MOPAR PT Cruiser accessory:

MOPAR 82205332

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
157k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93