PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Quality of Rear Oval Window Manfacturers

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2019, 01:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Quality of Rear Oval Window Manfacturers

If the material warps and forms a small arch like that, that is material related, not the mounting material.

Old 29 Aug 2019, 02:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj318 View Post

If the material warps and forms a small arch like that, that is material related, not the mounting material.

This rear window cover is URETHANE....plastic.

Top gets a real sun and temperature beating here in Okieland.
Problem probably wouldn't have developed if it was in the garage most of the time.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 29 Aug 2019, 02:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
If you've already established that top edge should be reduced because of an original design deficiency, the current window cover might be restore-able with just a bit chopped off. Or perhaps, removed, with a bit of heat applied to the anomaly, that would allow you to straighten it out.

I've attached a few photos of that spoiler/upper rear hatch area on SOOO BIG for reference.

The upper interior rear hatch has an area under neath where you'd place the suggested attachers through the upper hatch skin. That'd get any attachers and your possible cover strip much lower than the very top edge. Anything going through would have to have a rubber to seal it from water intrusion. Either larger holes with rubber seal grommets, ( inside diameter same as screw diameter, outside diameter to accommodate drill hole). Or rubber washers on the screws to water proof when snugged down.

That inner area angles out from the exterior hatch metal. You just need something to snug the upper area of the oval window cap down in addition to the molding tape.

You might try a few small self install capture nuts and matching machine screw that have paint-able caps that snap on. I've seen 'em some where.

To go completely plastic, how 'bout a few automotive plastic push clips. any auto supply store has 'em in the correct depth and to accommodate the additional cap thickness for a secure hold down. I'm sure the tops could be finished off with the correct color.

You'd probably be cuttin' of the ouchy to get it to fit anyway. Maybe you could put a spoiler up there on the top of the rear deck hatch like the one that came on SOOO BIG originally? That'd at least hold down the upper corners.

As a test, one time I had the spoiler off of SOOO BIG for a few days and I'm proud to report that aerodynamically, even at 110 mph the spoiler's only there for decoration.

I've also seen a gargantuan aftermarket Xenon flush mounted spoiler. Big bucks, but probably just as aerodynamic as the one on SOOO BIG only flush mounted. One of those'd probably hold down the upper edge of the cap on it's own.

As mentioned, a decorative strip addition to cover the screws would involve the screws being critically low enough below the top edge of the cover so the the hold down screws and strip don't contend with the upper roof rear edge when opening the hatch. This'll be more extreme clearance wise with the additional thickness of your oval rear hatch window cap.

It's a great, "do it right the second time project". I think your gonna salvage it. Good luck. Hope the photos help.
Happy PTin' ptprice
Attachment 30918

Attachment 30919

Attachment 30920

Attachment 30921

Attachment 30922

Attachment 30923

Attachment 30924

Attachment 30925
Yes!
I did the same reinforcement when I put the Spoiler on Soonercruiser.
I would NEVER have trusted mounting tape there!

Old 29 Aug 2019, 07:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here is a picture of the aluminum door strip that I am modifying to cover the top end of the rear window cover.
I have tried to cut curves that match the corners of the window Louver.
You can see that I have cut slits in what will be the lower surface, in order that the strip will be easily curved to the top of the window cover.

And YES, I did cut a small piece of this strip, tape it in place at the center and check clearance while opening the rear hatch!

Here is an end view, showing that I have bent the top edge even more to curve tightly around the top edge of the cut window Louver.

And, I bought small stainless steel screws at Ace Hardware, and countersunk the screw holes.

Here is the strip in Rustoleum Primer.
The color is just a little lighter than the Audi Gray of the PT.
But, I do have a rattle can of the Audi Gray body paint that I bought in order to eventually paint the Morette headlight masks in that Morette project.

Last edited by soonercruiser; 29 Aug 2019 at 07:13 pm.