PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Quality of Rear Oval Window Manfacturers

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2018, 08:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lightbulb Quality of Rear Oval Window Manfacturers

Anybody have any experience, or know of problems with any of the folks who make the rear OVAL window aftermarket kits.

The two that I am finding now are "Wilpak" and "Astra-Hammond".

Both are only ABS plastic.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 29 Mar 2018, 07:36 am
Banned

Default Re: Quality of Rear Oval Window Manfacturers

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Anybody have any experience, or know of problems with any of the folks who make the rear OVAL window aftermarket kits.

The two that I am finding now are "Wilpak" and "Astra-Hammond".

Both are only ABS plastic.

I've seen them both "up close and personal" and they both are fine for what you pay.

Originally the Willpack didn't allow you to see the third brake light. What were they thinking? They revised their design by including brackets to relocate the light and that took care of that.

As you said, they are both plastic and will eventually show signs of sun damage. You can make them live MUCH longer by having whoever paints yours for you, keep your concerns about the sun in mind when painting it.

I don't know if it is still available, but by far the highest quality rear window is the "BREEZER" rear window. It actually replaces your existing rear window. You install it just like you would when replacing your original window (remove old --- install new window). I had the chance to see two of those and they were high quality pieces.

I had a friend that loved Batman and did his PT in a Batman theme. He had a local auto vinyl design shop make a decal that covers his entire rear glass and it had the Batman emblem cut out in the center. What you see in black below, was the portion that was cut out of the black decal. It had an oval cut out for the third brake light above Batmans cowl. Since the area that the third brake light shines through when you hit the brakes is black, it worked and looked perfect.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 29 Mar 2018 at 10:29 am.
Old 26 Aug 2019, 02:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Angry Re: Quality of Rear Oval Window Manfacturers

So....just an update on rear Oval Window Louvers!

I ended up getting the Wilpak oval rear window cover....2/4/18.
No problems for over a year.
THEN....the top edge began catching a little when you open the rear hatch.
This must have been from the Oklahoma heat and failure of the 3M adhesive.

I had not quite gotten around to inspecting from ABOVE, as a little Lithium grease at the edge had improved the catching.
***BUT, YESTERDAY....
"BANG"!...it caught big time and deformed the top edge.

When we installed it, there were three of us to align the thing, top to bottom, and left to right.
Here is a picture of the beltline adaptation.

But apparently the top and bottom edges should be reduced to avoid THIS....

Doug at Wilpak not interested in backing up the product where the mounting tape failed! Despite, installed per their instructions.

Old 26 Aug 2019, 10:39 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
So....just an update on rear Oval Window Louvers!

I ended up getting the Wilpak oval rear window cover....2/4/18.
No problems for over a year.
THEN....the top edge began catching a little when you open the rear hatch.
This must have been from the Oklahoma heat and failure of the 3M adhesive.

I had not quite gotten around to inspecting from ABOVE, as a little Lithium grease at the edge had improved the catching.
***BUT, YESTERDAY....
"BANG"!...it caught big time and deformed the top edge.

When we installed it, there were three of us to align the thing, top to bottom, and left to right.
Here is a picture of the beltline adaptation.

But apparently the top and bottom edges should be reduced to avoid THIS....

Doug at Wilpak not interested in backing up the product where the mounting tape failed! Despite, installed per their instructions.
Here's a suggestion on how I solved a failure from mounting tape. I'll never again trust mounting tape in critical areas. I lost SOOO BIG's lower front grill a while back on a very hot Florida day 'cause I followed instructions and trusted the mounting tape to hold it in place. When I reinstalled the replacement grill I also installed a few strategically placed screws as a back up to the mounting tape. As the screws are some what hidden they can be big clunky stainless steel hex head screws. That grill will never fall off of SOOO BIG.
If the damaged area of your unit is salvageable or even if you have to put on a replacement, try adding screws for a reinforced hold down of the upper edge. Keep in mind the necessary clearance needed in that critical area as the rear hatch is opened. With the oval window cap there's that there additional thickness to contend with relative upper clearance when the hatch is opened. Apparently it worked OK. good to go, till the mounting tape failed. So figure out a way to install a few hold down screws. Ideally they'd be the tapered countersunk type that would accept a decorative color matched cap as those clunker type I used probably wouldn't clear when the rear hatch is opened and don't look very good.
I used U nuts slid in place from all sorts of difficult angles. Because of my physical limitations they were very hard to install in the tight confined behind the lower grill area. It should easier on the rear hatch. You might consider shallow self retaining nuts installed from the front side if there's clearance challenges but I think the U-nuts will work slipped over the upper hatch edge, placed over pre drilled screw holes. You might have to consider how to prevent water from leaking in.

Happy PTin', ptprice

two clunky stainless steel hex head hold down screws on second grill bar
grille2.jpg
close up
r-2.jpg
screws and U-nuts
hdwr.jpg
self retaining nuts

nuts.jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 27 Aug 2019, 01:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for the pointers, Price!

That is exactly what I have been considering.
I have NEVER seen a post with this problem on the many PT Forums I follow!

The bottom edge placement is dictated by reproduction of the beltline groove.
First of all, I would think that some reduction of the top edge would be in order.
Then, a decorative strip across the top with screws into the OEM hatch.

Sounds aggressive! But, apparently it's what is needed in a day driver that gets all the Oklahoma heat.....and is still the 3rd car out of the garage right now.

And, with that in mind, the current window cover might even be recoverable.
NitroPT and ptprice like this.

Old 27 Aug 2019, 03:52 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for the pointers, Price!

That is exactly what I have been considering.
I have NEVER seen a post with this problem on the many PT Forums I follow!

The bottom edge placement is dictated by reproduction of the beltline groove.
First of all, I would think that some reduction of the top edge would be in order.
Then, a decorative strip across the top with screws into the OEM hatch.

Sounds aggressive! But, apparently it's what is needed in a day driver that gets all the Oklahoma heat.....and is still the 3rd car out of the garage right now.
If you've already established that top edge should be reduced because of an original design deficiency, the current window cover might be restore-able with just a bit chopped off. Or perhaps, removed, with a bit of heat applied to the anomaly, that would allow you to straighten it out.

I've attached a few photos of that spoiler/upper rear hatch area on SOOO BIG for reference.

The upper interior rear hatch has an area under neath where you'd place the suggested attachers through the upper hatch skin. That'd get any attachers and your possible cover strip much lower than the very top edge. Anything going through would have to have a rubber to seal it from water intrusion. Either larger holes with rubber seal grommets, ( inside diameter same as screw diameter, outside diameter to accommodate drill hole). Or rubber washers on the screws to water proof when snugged down.

That inner area angles out from the exterior hatch metal. You just need something to snug the upper area of the oval window cap down in addition to the molding tape.

You might try a few small self install capture nuts and matching machine screw that have paint-able caps that snap on. I've seen 'em some where.

To go completely plastic, how 'bout a few automotive plastic push clips. any auto supply store has 'em in the correct depth and to accommodate the additional cap thickness for a secure hold down. I'm sure the tops could be finished off with the correct color.

You'd probably be cuttin' of the ouchy to get it to fit anyway. Maybe you could put a spoiler up there on the top of the rear deck hatch like the one that came on SOOO BIG originally? That'd at least hold down the upper corners.

As a test, one time I had the spoiler off of SOOO BIG for a few days and I'm proud to report that aerodynamically, even at 110 mph the spoiler's only there for decoration.

I've also seen a gargantuan aftermarket Xenon flush mounted spoiler. Big bucks, but probably just as aerodynamic as the one on SOOO BIG only flush mounted. One of those'd probably hold down the upper edge of the cap on it's own.

As mentioned, a decorative strip addition to cover the screws would involve the screws being critically low enough below the top edge of the cover so the the hold down screws and strip don't contend with the upper roof rear edge when opening the hatch. This'll be more extreme clearance wise with the additional thickness of your oval rear hatch window cap.

It's a great, "do it right the second time project". I think your gonna salvage it. Good luck. Hope the photos help.
Happy PTin' ptprice
underhatch.jpg

mountbolts.jpg

left.jpg

lefttop.jpg

right.jpg

moreclips1.jpg

pushclips1.jpg

xenon.jpg
rockandroller likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 28 Aug 2019, 06:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

THANKS AGAIN TO ptprice FOR THE POINTERS!

If nothing else, the suggestions he made, made me slow down and think a little about the options to save that $300 aftermarket window skin!

So, after some honey-dos today, I took another look at it.
Again....I LOVE MY DREMMEL TOOL!

I started by making a line with the edge of some masking tape about where I guessed it would take to reduce the edge of the Eurethane window cover for me to be able to open the rear hatch. (I hadn't used it in days)

Then I started by using a diamond wheel to cut straight down thru the cover, as there was a good 1/4 inch or more free space where the mounting tape was.
After that first cut, I had the wifie hold the hatch open as I took a picture of the window cover as it passed near the top of the car. STILL TOO CLOSE!

So, I took off some more - more so in the middle 1/3 of the hatch....and then thinned the edge downwards.

So after I rechecked the clearance again , I took a photo to send Doug at Willpak Industries to prove that it WAS NOT FAILURE OF THE MOUNTING TAPE!
IT WAS EXCESSIVE WARPAGE OF THEIR PRODUCT that caused the interference.

As ptprice suggested, next will be a thin decorative metal strip retained by metal screws into the OEM metal hatch.
I have ordered some butyl rubber rope to put under the edge of it to be sure there won't be excessive water getting under it.

The nice thin strip of aluminum I have now, has a little lip curling back downwards, so the leading edge will not be obtrusive.

Funny thing is, even now, unless you are up close, and on the side of the car, you don't even see the mess I already made.

Last edited by soonercruiser; 28 Aug 2019 at 10:06 pm.
Old 28 Aug 2019, 07:32 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:

If nothing else, the suggestions he made, made me slow down and think a little about the options to save that $300 aftermarket window skin!

I started by making a line with the edge of some masking tape about where I guessed it would take to reduce the edge of the Eurethane window cover for me to be able to open the rear hatch. (I hadn't used it in days)

Then I started by using a diamond wheel to cut straight down thru the cover, as there was a good 1/4 inch or more free space where the mounting tape was.
After that first cut, I had the wifie hold the hatch open as I took a picture of the window cover as it passed near the top of the car. STILL TOO CLOSE!

So, I took off some more - more so in the middle 1/3 of the hatch....and then thinned the edge downwards.

So after I rechecked the clearance again , I took a photo to send Doug at Willpak Industries to prove that it WAS NOT FAILURE OF THE MOUNTING TAPE!

As ptprice suggested, next will be a thin decorative metal strip retained by metal screws into the OEM metal hatch.
I have ordered some butyl rubber rope to put under the edge of it to be sure there won't be excessive water getting under it.

The nice thin strip of aluminum I have now, has a little lip curling back downwards, so the leading edge will not be obtrusive.

Funny thing is, even now, unless you are up close, and on the side of the car, you don't even see the mess I already made.
TI just went out and measured SOOO BIG's clearance between the rear roof edge and the upper edge of the rear hatch as it begins to open. It's just 1/4". If the additional thickness of the oval window cover challenges that critically thin clearance you'll be contending with this ad naseum.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 28 Aug 2019, 07:33 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:

I just went out and measured SOOO BIG's clearance between the rear roof edge and the upper edge of the rear hatch as it begins to open. It's just 1/4". If the additional thickness of the oval window cover challenges that critically thin clearance you'll be contending with this ad naseum.
Old 28 Aug 2019, 10:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

MORAL OF THE STORY????

The Willpak Rear Window Louvers will deform in the heat and the sun!
Willpak doesn't stand behind their product!

Maybe consider Astra Hammond!

And do some trimming top and bottom to get both the beltline groove, and more opening clearance up top!