PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Chrome Gas Door Cover Question

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Dec 2018, 04:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Chrome Gas Door Cover Question

I'm assuming this is an aftermarket gas door cover. Or, did Chrysler offer one from the factory? Can these be removed?

It was already on my PT when purchased and I'm going with a mostly black and blue color scheme and don't like the chrome.

If it can be removed, how should it be done? Do you use fishing line, a chemical, anyone have the secret? I really need to preserve the paint if possible.

Many Thanks!
Old 11 Dec 2018, 04:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Chrome Gas Door Cover Question

Here's the photo. It is not solid metal and appears to be glued.

Old 11 Dec 2018, 04:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I do own a heat gun... or is that too dangerous?
Old 11 Dec 2018, 04:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

Pick a part is your friend
Old 11 Dec 2018, 05:31 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Just so you'll know what they look like, here's two photos of the chrome fuel door that came as original equipment on SOOO BIG. I've seen them on salvage PT's at our You Pull It Yard but never thought to pull one. I just checked them used on ebay at about $35.00 and up.
They do look nice though, but aerodynamically they don't improve fuel mileage at all.
Good luck, I hope you find one. Happy PTin', ptprice

chrome fuel dor.jpgchromefuel door.jpg
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 11 Dec 2018, 06:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It's my fault, I didn't post my request clearly.

I have one that was already on my car when purchased and I want to take it off. Is there a way to do that without damaging paint on the factory fuel door?
Old 11 Dec 2018, 06:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You have to buy a new fuel door the color you want.
There are 2 screws on the inside hinge to remove it from the car.
ptprice and smarq17 like this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 11 Dec 2018, 06:49 pm
Banned

He has a 'vert and the chrome gas door is different from a sedan. The 'vert is just a chrome cover installed on top of the stock door, while the sedan a complete replacement of the gas door. You can tell it's a 'vert because of the bend at the bottom, a sedan is flat:

It should just be a cover that is held on with 3M tape or something similar.

You might PM Handy_Cruiser (Todd) as he put one onto his 'vert and he should be able to tell you how it's attached.

You should be able to use a heat gun to loosen the double sided tape to remove the chrome cover.

Last edited by rckstein; 11 Dec 2018 at 06:51 pm.
Old 11 Dec 2018, 06:59 pm
Banned

Here's where Todd put one on his 'vert:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Today it was time to install my rare high-end chrome fuel door cover that was specially handcrafted somewhere deep in the Orient. "ABS" stands for "Absolutely Beautiful Stuff", right?

While looking at it, I kept remembering what Rob asked about just bending a real billet fuel door originally made for a PT Wagon. Wouldn't take much. To bad billet aluminum doesn't bend well.

The little door cover doesn't look half-bad. It has a rim on the outer edge that covers the factory fuel door pretty well.

And when closed, it doesn't stick out that badly. To me, this looks almost exactly like the OEM fuel door that came with the factory "chrome package".

I believe this little stick-on cover is going to look fine.

Sure, I'd rather have a real aluminum billet fuel door like I had on my last two PT's, but this will work for now. As I said before, I'm not even sure anyone ever made a real billet fuel door for the convertible. But if one turns up, I'll be watching.

Old 11 Dec 2018, 07:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That's it! Wooohooo!!! That's the same exact one on my convertible. I didn't realize the sedan had a flat fuel door and the convertible was curved...

Do you think it could be successfully removed from the fuel door?
ptprice likes this.