• 1 Post By NitroPT
  • 3 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By soonercruiser
  • 2 Post By Fk5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2019, 03:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Windshield wipers

Has anyone used longer wiper blades on their PT i want to go 24 inches both sides and according to my measurments they should fit. With about a quarter inch to spare on both sides and in the middle. What would be the down side of using longer wipers
Old 13 Jul 2019, 05:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Windshield wipers

I used to do this all the time when I was younger. I'd measure and then get the longest wipers I could as long as they still fit the curve of the windshield. I also used to have wiper motors fail quite a bit. Then one day I though "huuummm". I wonder if the extra drag from the longer wipers was causing my wipe motors to fail? Maybe, maybe not.

Anyway, I quit doing that. Instead I replace the wipers nowadays with the correct length but in the higher-quality brands. I usually go with a single-bean design because I like how they look. I've become especially enamored with the Bosch ICON wipers. For me, they often squeak when new but then quiet down and seem to work good for at least two years. I think the ones on my Charger Daytona have been on there for three years or longer. And they still work great.
rockandroller likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Jul 2019 at 05:48 pm.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 06:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I generally will try to go shorter and equal length for the aesthetics on any vehicle as long as it covers what I need and clears the visibility of the windshield. On the PT I went shorter and matched both side for looks as well. I have driven in snow and extreme rain and other adverse weather conditions (many picture showing this on this forum)and the matched and shorter length cause no visibility issues for me personally.

The MYTH that using longer length wipers will shorten the wiper motor life is just that a MYTH. By looking up vehicles with a 16 inch and others using 28-30 plus the motors are all the same and the wiper motor service life is no different.

the infrequency of wiper changing schedule is a long time debate. IMHO wiper should as cheap as most are should be changed EVERY season. And during winter months its always a good idea to not only carry spares but also some RAIN -X, in the event a wiper fail or wiper motor stop working.

My thoughts about the wiper motor are based on selling HUNDREDS over the years and not simply off the cuff or looking on the internet. There is another member or 2 here that works in automotive retail parts that I am sure will support my response information....or not. LOL
VsandFords likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 13 Jul 2019 at 06:55 pm.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 08:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

While looking for a nice set of front wipers, consider replacing the rear wiper arm with one from a Dodge Magnum. It's plug and play and looks great.

Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Wi...-2-spons&psc=1

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Jul 2019 at 08:28 pm.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 12:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The MYTH that using longer length wipers will shorten the wiper motor life is just that a MYTH. By looking up vehicles with a 16 inch and others using 28-30 plus the motors are all the same and the wiper motor service life is no different.
Nitro,
Being scientifically/research trained, I'm not sure I can just go along with this statement!
Proof???
Just because it is the same wiper motor, has anyone studies wiper motor failure (life) versus wiper blade length.
My guess is that the car mfgr would not bother to even be concerned, unless the failures were rampant.
They just go ahead and replace them under warranty; and you replace them if out of warranty.
I do not believe I have ever replaced a wiper motor in my 72 years of car ownership!

I think not!
I'm sure there is some data out there, beyond being anecdotal.
But, no one has probably bothered to look at it.
I would be assuming that if a car mfgr had too many wiper motor failures, they would just blamed the motor Mfgr, and move along to another supplier.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 14 Jul 2019 at 12:40 pm.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 02:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Nitro,
Being scientifically/research trained, I'm not sure I can just go along with this statement!
Proof???
I honestly would not waste the time to look.

I have replaced dozens of failed wiper motors but never considered why they failed simply they failed?

I have use longer and shorter wipers then OEM and have tried almost every wiz bang, new "the best claimed wipers (which never were) that has ever come on the market. Can't say as any caused a premature or failure known of a wiper motor documented or even considered. Except those triple bladed POS wonders!

Speaking of those POS tipple blades, I will toss in that a older vehicle say 10 years or older in the 80's with lots of miles say over 80k if they used those POS tipple blades we all working in Auto Parts or auto service were seemingly selling many more wiper motors then usual and the common denominator some of us noted were the use of those POS triple bladed wiper blades? But no real data or prof they were the cause of the failed wiper motor!!!

Honestly like I said who really cares?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 14 Jul 2019 at 02:40 pm.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 05:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I honestly would not waste the time to look.

I have replaced dozens of failed wiper motors but never considered why they failed simply they failed?

I have use longer and shorter wipers then OEM and have tried almost every wiz bang, new "the best claimed wipers (which never were) that has ever come on the market. Can't say as any caused a premature or failure known of a wiper motor documented or even considered. Except those triple bladed POS wonders!

Speaking of those POS tipple blades, I will toss in that a older vehicle say 10 years or older in the 80's with lots of miles say over 80k if they used those POS tipple blades we all working in Auto Parts or auto service were seemingly selling many more wiper motors then usual and the common denominator some of us noted were the use of those POS triple bladed wiper blades? But no real data or prof they were the cause of the failed wiper motor!!!

Honestly like I said who really cares?
That's why I CRIED..."Empirical" statement!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Old 15 Jul 2019, 08:23 am
Senior Cruiser

To me, the biggest problem is that the longer wiper blades tend to lift up at the ends where the glass is curved. Then they chatter when they get "traction" again. If anything, on the PT I have gone shorter. If the passenger side is better, I just put it on the left. Never noticed it was an inch shorter IIRC.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 05:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Windshield wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
To me, the biggest problem is that the longer wiper blades tend to lift up at the ends where the glass is curved. Then they chatter when they get "traction" again. If anything, on the PT I have gone shorter. If the passenger side is better, I just put it on the left. Never noticed it was an inch shorter IIRC.
That's why I ALWAYS buy the OEM length blades!