Advertisements
Hood deflector help...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2004, 10:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ptdreamer
Default Hood deflector help...

Hi all,

I'm trying to obtain a decent hood deflector (bug shield) for a reasonable price. We had ordered one for my Dad's '05 GT convert from a vendor carrying Autoventshade. Nice shield, but the problem was that the everything said it used 3M mounting, yet it kept shipping with screw mounts. The last thing I want to do right now is poke holes in his hood. Any suggestions for a mfr. and/or vendor? Trying to plan future mods, but we're starting out slow... If anybody knows a local distributor in the San Antonio area, let me know. Thanks -
Old 22 Jul 2004, 11:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Autoventshades bug deflector mounting varies with the car model. Some only need the 3M tape while others need fasteners/screws or even both tape and screws. Some prefer the mounting screws so they can put thin stainless steel washers between the hood and shield to allow drainage, plus the ability to remove the shield to wax/protect or clean that area. I've seen some shields that include clear "bump-ons" that stick to the paint on the hood to prevent the shield from possible scratching the paint from wind flexing. If there is enough clearance, I've seen people resort to using velcro instead of screws.

Might be better to invest in a clear bra, if a regular slip-on bra is not acceptable or you cannot find a bug shield that meets your requirements. A good installer can provide additional coverage if the kit does not include areas you want to protect. I've seen Ferrari and Porsche owners apply the film on their entire hoods and fenders for maximum protection.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 08:19 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I have a clear bra and a weathertech bug deflector...no problems with either..deflector is on with the tape...no screws..
Old 24 Jul 2004, 09:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

www.cruiserbits.com sells them for $57. Don't know if that's a good price or not. No screws...says the write-up.