Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Driving/Fog Lamps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2004, 06:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Driving/Fog Lamps

I'm thinking about adding an extra set of lights, what's on the PT currently works well, but I go down pretty dark roads at night and want to be able to see what's out there a bit sooner. Would mounting a set of driving lights (Hella, PIAA, KC) to the bottom of the front bumper between the fog lamps be the way to go? I really don't want to spend $600+ on HID. Will they "reach" beyond the high beams? How difficult are they to wire up?
Old 04 Aug 2004, 06:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Can't really answer about how far they reach but i do know that if I attached anything to the bottom of the front bumper, it'd be gone into a thousand pieces before the week was up. You're talkin pretty low down there. For high intensity driving lights to work well, they should be mounted a lot higher than that.
Old 05 Aug 2004, 08:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Go to a good auto store and look at what they have - I've seen some the diameter of a coffee cup - don't know how much light they put out, but I bet if you stick with a good name, like Hella or PIAA, you should be okay. There would be enough room for those on either side of the grille - you could either mount to top or bottom of bumper or have a bracket from behind grille. Wiring would be easier there - in-line fuse on + to battery, - side to switch. Be sure to use heavy enough wire - depending on wattage, I'd go #12 or even #10 (can't be too heavy, only too thin). For switch, easiest is go thru hole in firewall that existing wire harness uses by steering wheel and put switch by "trap-door" fuse panel. (that's where my wiper LED lights switch is). You could also put in a relay so you only have to wire switch with smaller wire.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Aug 2004, 09:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Try this post on this forum Post Pics of Fog Lights in search. There is a picture on page 3. Hope this helps

Gonz
Old 05 Aug 2004, 11:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gonzomania

Try this post on this forum Post Pics of Fog Lights in search. There is a picture on page 3. Hope this helps
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...rms=fog,lights
Old 05 Aug 2004, 11:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Thanks QSD

Gonz
Old 05 Aug 2004, 08:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Chromedcruiser--If you have the factory fog lamps, I'd recommend replacing the stock bulbs with Sylvania Silverstars. They are alot brighter than stock but to my knowledge have the same wattage rating so your electrical system isn't working any harder. I really like mine. The Sylvania website lists the wattage as 60 maximum and a life expectancy of about one year which kind of surprises me. I thought they would be expected to last longer. Maybe mine will.
[IMG]|2003 PT GT 5-Speed | Mopar Stage 1 | Mopar 2.5\" Dual Exhaust | Mopar Short-Throw Shifter | Mopar HO Plastic Intake | Mopar Boost Gauge | AGP WGA/BOP | APC Carbon Fiber Taillights | Axis 19x8 Wheels/Yokohama 225/35ZR19 Parada Spec2 Tires | BTG Strut Tower Brace | BTG Billet Shorty Antenna | Eibach Anti-Sway Bars | HKS SSQV BOV | JLM Motor/Tranny Mounts | KW Variant 1 Coilovers | Maxxfab 3\" Downpipe | NGK Iridiums | Prototypepower UCP/CAI v5 | PTeazer Smoothie Roll Pan | Screamin\' Demon Coil/Livewires | StopTech Slotted Rotors/Hawk HPS Pads/Stainless Steel Lines | Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley|
Old 07 Aug 2004, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CHROMEDCRUISER

I'm thinking about adding an extra set of lights, what's on the PT currently works well, but I go down pretty dark roads at night and want to be able to see what's out there a bit sooner. Would mounting a set of driving lights (Hella, PIAA, KC) to the bottom of the front bumper between the fog lamps be the way to go? I really don't want to spend $600+ on HID. Will they "reach" beyond the high beams? How difficult are they to wire up?
Old 07 Aug 2004, 10:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

CHROMECRUISER
I added a set of small square Hella Driving Lights between the grill and the radiator. Don,t remembert the model but they are about 3x2x2. Wired thru relay with switch dirrect to battery and dash.
axelrod

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CHROMEDCRUISER

Old 08 Aug 2004, 03:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

Quote:
quote:The Sylvania website lists the wattage as 60 maximum and a life expectancy of about one year which kind of surprises me. I thought they would be expected to last longer. Maybe mine will.
I think that means they can be left on for a year, or a total time they can be left on equals about a year. There are 8760 hours in a year, you maybe drive an hour or two a day, maybe less with your lights on, so they will last about from 4380 to 8760 days or maybe 12 years...

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"