PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
tape marks on bumper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2004, 11:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania
Default tape marks on bumper

I have a feeling that this is been done to death but after almost 18,000 miles, better than a year old, tape marks on front bumper finally showed up today. Looking for a number of people this has happened to, so I have some ammunition when I call the dealer this week. So if this problem has arisen please let me know. [xx(]Thanks
Old 09 Aug 2004, 03:29 am
Cool Cruiser

most dealers usually replaces the bumper with another bumper (unpainted) and usually paint there bumpers under warranty (it should be under warranty for either)

I had my bumpers painted for $200 plus $50 for mirrors by a professional.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 09:51 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to jmack

yeah unfortunuately, i have 58K on mine and mine just now SHOWED UP....dammit!
Old 10 Aug 2004, 09:58 am
Young Cruiser

I just had mine repainted last week. Body shop manager was really good about it - I walked in, asked what to do about the marks, they took one look and asked if I could "drop the car off next week".

I would still approach your dealer, even if you are out of warranty, as most have a "good will" warranty for problems that obviously are a defect.

Now I'm just waiting to hear about the chrome peeling off the rims. [:I]
Old 10 Aug 2004, 11:11 am
Senior Cruiser

I have an appointment Wed with the dealer> I'm going loaded for bear I'm printing out as many threads that pertain to this from as many forums as I can. I called DC yesterday because the fixes are all over the place from painting to changing to go scratch your ***. DC didn't know anything about this and said go talk to your Dealer. How about them apples. "First time I heard of this problem MR. Gonzales" I don't think so but we'll see tomorrow.

Gonz
Old 10 Aug 2004, 11:12 am
Cool Cruiser

Definitely Gonzo, let me know....I need some ammo
Old 10 Aug 2004, 04:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

one other tip (which i got from an attorney that reviewed posts on this topic) is to take pictures of other cruisers with this problem. i even went to my dealer the day before my service appointment and took pictures of cruisers on their lot with tape marks. just in case they want to say it is the way you wax your car or not a common problem (or one of the other common excuses). i took about twenty pictures and about fifty posts to my dealer. then the surprise of all surpises, the only question they asked was when did i want it fixed by?!?!!? i was in the office as they discussed how to fix (since i wanted the bumpers painted), and after a few phone calls and coversations they told me the warranty says that the item must be replaced (not just painted or fixed) and they must replace with the same equipment as standard (no smooth bumpers to replace the textured ones). so i got new textured ones, which they painted for 150 bucks.
gonzo, if your dealer gives you a problem, ask them to call Rancho Chrysler in san diego. they fixed mine (and told me they do this all the time) and i am sure would be able to explain to your guys how to do it.....
good luck!!!!
Old 11 Aug 2004, 02:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

gonzomania,
Had the same problem on my 03. The dealership I went to has their own body and paint shop (Rancho Jeep/Chrysler in San Diego, CA). I took it straight to the body shop manager and he looked at it and told me he would have to check with top guy at the dealership and call me. He did the next day and said they would replace with a new unpainted bumper. I then asked if they could paint it, to which he replied, "How does $160 sound?". And that was all she wrote. Remember, even with the unpainted bumpers, they come from the factory with no paint on them and need to have the lower portion painted to match the car color. It doesn't take much for them to just paint the whole thing instead of masking off the gray part of the bumper. Sorry I didn't take any pictures or I would email them to you. Good luck, and don't take "No" for an answer.
Graveone
Old 11 Aug 2004, 12:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Went to dealer today. The service writer asked me the problem . Told her about the tape marks. I said there was another Pt out there in the lot (customers car) they also had the tape marks . She said that was her car and she didn't know about it . Service manager knew all about walked out said yep they're marked. We will order new ones and call you when they come in. Gary Barbera Chrysler in Phila.
Can't beleive it was that easy. I asked "will they come in as the new style. He said no, they'll be the same". Can't complain to much

Gonz
Old 11 Aug 2004, 12:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

I wonder if this will work on my 2001?