Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tinting Front Windows

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2003, 07:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Tinting Front Windows

I tinted my front windows yesterday, 35% which is the max allowable in Maryland. It looks really good except there is a crease about four inches long (real skinny though) at the bottom. Being a perfectionist I'm tempted to rip the whole thing out and redo. Any experience in this area? Tips?

Old 17 Mar 2003, 08:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Jeff,

You shouldn't have to do the whole window over again. Haven't done it myself, but when I lived in Maryland, I had one of my cars tinted and there were some imperfections in the finished job. Took it back to the installer and they peeled (very slowly) from the corner the tint away from the window till they reached the bad spot. Sprayed lots of soapy water on both sides of the tint and used a squeegee to flatten the tint back down. Came out like new. Peel back very carefully and keep spraying. Good luck.

Trade your GAMES & MOVIE DVD's at: www.gametradingpost.net
Old 17 Mar 2003, 09:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Crewzin, that makes perfect sense since lots of soapy water was the way to move the tint into place once it was affixed. I don't know why I didn't think of it. I'll try it. Thanks alot.

Old 18 Mar 2003, 07:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Jeff

Does that 35% match the existing rear widow tint? I'm getting ready to tint mine and would like it to match. I'm not sure what percentage I need to buy.

Thanks in advance
Paul W

Old 18 Mar 2003, 09:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wave rider,

I got 30%, which is the legal limit in Indiana. That is darker than Jeff's but is still not as dark as the rear windows. It sort of depends on the angle you're looking at it, because you can have sun coming through the windshield and it makes the tinting appear lighter if your looking that way. The darker it is outside, the closer it looks. I'm not sure what percentage would match the rear, but it's probably 25% or less. The guy who did mine was willing to put on whatever I wanted but recommended the legit stuff. Police are actually carrying around meters to measure the transmitted light nowadays. The law in Florida appears to be 28% so that's not too bad. Here's a link to all of the state laws: http://www.atrn.com/pdf/reso_mvl.pdf

I had the fellow redo my driver's side the first time, because I could see some light coming through at the top rear corner. He agreed that it could be better so he redid it. Then, as I was driving away, I noticed some tiny bubbles in the tint, so I turned around. When he started looking at me like I was insane, I realized I'd crossed some sort of line in the customer - supplier relationship. I guess a few tiny spots are inevitable if it isn't put on in a clean room and they shrink (so I'm told) as time goes on. The best advice I got was to look through the window and not at it. I'm happy with it now. It looks especially good on the black PT.

JeffV, Good luck getting the crease out. Did you buy a kit or something? Were you able to get the top gap uniform down the length of the window?

Old 19 Mar 2003, 10:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I agree with what Bemo said. 35%, which is the "amount of light that can get through" is significantly lighter than the back window, but much darker than no tint. If you stand at certain angles and look (for example, if you look through the driver or passenger window so that the back of the car is in the background, the tint looks the same as the back.

Bemo, I didn't get a kit, and to make the top uniform I cut the tint an inch too long and cut it at the window edge, with the window down about an inch.

The good news is the little bubbles did all disappear, but that damn crease is still there. I figure I'll try to get it out and if I can't I'll just buy more tint ($9 at Walmart in Frederick MD, Kev) and redo.

I think I could do a much better job second time around.