PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ram Air Hood owners!!! Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Oct 2004, 12:40 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to R3dWhitNCrz
Default Ram Air Hood owners!!! Help

SakiGT and anyone else who has a ram air hood... I spoke with my mechanic and he discouraged using the ram air system due to unforeseen problems down the road mainly from moisture. Have any of you had water problems during heavy rain? Mild rain? How about just washing the car? He strongly discouraged me from getting the hood. Of course he is trying to protect me from any possible damage to his work.

Please pass on your PRO's and CON's about the ram air hoods.

SakiGT I hope you find this note.
Old 31 Oct 2004, 06:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

Here's some discussion here on the topic when I brought up the question. I was concerned about water getting into the air intake area through heavy rain, washes, etc. They had no problems.

Also, from another discussion before, droplets of water would not enter into the intake due to the filter. The only way to get water in there is if the car was submerged enough that the filter intake was actually submerged in the water as well.

But I'm sure there will be more discussions in this topic.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 31 Oct 2004, 04:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

Alot of after market hoods are desinged to keep water from going into the system with drain holes and routing the air so any water that is going with it stops. I have a special hood made from a stock one with a ram air effect. I just have to becareful washing it so I don't spray water directly into it. Otherwise drving in rainfalls, heavy or light, my airfilter stays dry. I put a hood scoop right above the airfilter from a 1984 300z turbo. It works great. P.S. I am also a mechanic.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 31 Oct 2004, 07:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have the dual scoop Keystone hood, and as yet have had no
problems with rain or anything else.

Paul
Old 31 Oct 2004, 09:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

Saki is here.

Ive been through 3 hurricane strength rains and countless florida storms and have had no problems. Your mechanic is suggesting future problems, so I cant speak on that. All I can use it logic: there should be no problems as far as water getting into the intake because every aftermarket hood Ive seen has come with holes designed to allow the water to fall out.
When he says "unforeseen" problems...what does he mean by that?? Moisture problems? The engine bay gets wet with the stock hood and the hood isnt steel like the stcok on is so what could the problem be?
Maybe I'll put a sheet of paper on my intake, close the hood, and spray the nostrils and see what happens. That should be worse than anything that the car will see in nature. *shrug*

14.67 @ 94.5 &lt;--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 31 Oct 2004, 11:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for all the PRO's! Anyone have any CON's??

I think my mechanic is just being over protective, and wants me to be cautious about the dealer I buy the product through. He has seen alot of cheat, worthless pieces of crap come into his shop where alot of moisture has caused alot of damage. Hey better safe then sorry.

Now I have 4 PRO comments...give me the CON's, Please!
Old 01 Nov 2004, 03:45 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Keystone hoods are very popular among PT'ers. If they were cheap and poorly made, the word would have been out. But it's good that your mechanic is looking out for you. One of those few good mechs.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 01 Nov 2004, 11:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks again! I am glad that the products are so well made, but there has got to be someone out there that has had a bad experience or problems. If not great!! I'll be looking into the ram air hood even more intensely.

Saki, thanks for being there. Mihoshi, Big tommy and Crazie Eddie...[:X]
Old 04 Nov 2004, 12:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I have had no probs. The duct to the airbox on the keystone i have is L shaped and not a direct duct. If water gets in the duct (usu only when I wash the car) there are two drain ports. The filter and box are always dry.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 04 Nov 2004, 02:59 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Just remember, no matter how well a product is made, there maybe some unforseen problem/defect. For instance, Blanes Hood struts are supposed to be really good, but until a few recent posts, a rare few had some problems. Blanes, is still probably an excellent product.