Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear Hatch, bondo or else...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2004, 10:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Rear Hatch, bondo or else...

I've had a pretty serious set of dents on my hatch for a few months now. It looks almost like someone pushed on the silver wings and sent waves out in all directions. I stopped at a quick dent repair place today, and they said the metal has probably weakened and needs to be bondoed. I really don't want to have to take the car to a body shop and have them bondo in the entire hatch. Anybody have any ideas? They wanted to charge $200 to remove two small creases which are barely visible, unless you get at the right angle and are looking for them. Does it sound like these guys are a serious rip off and have no idea what they're talking about?
Old 11 Nov 2004, 12:32 am
Senior Cruiser

do you know any body men. take it to them andsee what they say.
You might also try another body shop and get their idea on what
they would do to repair the problem.Try one of those paintless dent removal places and see what they say.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 11 Nov 2004, 05:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I really don't know any body shops in my area... never had the need for one, and I wouldn't know where to look, besides the yellow pages.
Old 11 Nov 2004, 10:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CHROMEDCRUISER

I really don't know any body shops in my area... never had the need for one, and I wouldn't know where to look, besides the yellow pages.
Yellow pages are fine. Just get another opinion.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 11 Nov 2004, 11:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree w/Jimbo, particularly on the paintless dent removal. If paint isn't cracked they should be able to "pop" it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Nov 2004, 02:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yea, I really don't know how the metal could "weaken" unless heat or a lot of repeated stress was applied. The paint on the back is beautiful, there are barely any swirls. Thanks for the heads up guys.
Old 11 Nov 2004, 10:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

some places just replace the old dented/rusted part with a 'skin' that covers. Wonder if this would be an option[:I]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 11 Nov 2004, 11:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If the metal was pushed in in such a way, it may have stretched. If that's the case, it is weaker and you won't be able to just pop it out. It may be cheaper to replace the hatch.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 17 Nov 2004, 08:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

This link, http://www.dentwizard.com/locationsusen
will show you where the nearest Dent Wizard location is.
These guys are great! I've had to use them for two different dings in my Cruiser, and you'd never know it's been worked on!
Old 18 Nov 2004, 05:12 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Those are the guys that I went to... they wanted $200 to fix two small dings, no way.