PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Painting of side mirrors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Nov 2004, 09:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer
Default Painting of side mirrors

I was looking at my PT the other day, after I'd finish washing and waxing, and noticed that eventhough my car is black and the side mirrors are black, the dullness of the side mirrors just take away from the glow of my PT. I've seen that some of you guys have painted your side mirrors to match the body color of your PT's. I have ordered some paint to paint a set of taillight covers I brought, so I decided to paint the side mirrors also. How would you guys who have done it recommend I do it? Gary04GT, Crewzin, KingKole, Jimbo, anyone? Suggestions?
Old 14 Nov 2004, 09:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mine were done professionally when I had the bumpers painted. The shop took the mirrors off completely to paint them. They were treated the same as the bumpers as in: sanded, primed, painted and clearcoated.
Old 14 Nov 2004, 09:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks for the superfast response Crewzin! I was sure about the painting and clearcoating, but wasn't sure about the sanding and priming.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 14 Nov 2004, 10:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Sanding and priming is critical. The factory mirrors have a rough finish and will never look right without being sanded smooth. The priming will allow the paint to properly adhere to the plastic.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 14 Nov 2004, 11:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

I had mine done at the dealer I bought the car ,because they have a bake oven.They didn't want to do it because they said the paint wouldn't stick.I had to call this guy in Texas and he told me how to do it and I told them.basicly he lightly sanded and than applied
adhesion Promoter to make the paint stick. I think he called it yellow primer.Than paint and clear coat.Anyway they did a good job
and than I had them do the side pillars. Hope this helps

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 15 Nov 2004, 12:02 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I highly recommend painting the side mirrors[|)] although I waited a long time to get mine done because I wasn't sure they would look that much better--WRONG! [B)]

I had mine done professionally by "PT Bill": http://www.surfnpt.com/pages/1/index.htm
If you decide to do it yourself just remember what has been said: "sanding and priming is critical".
Good luck.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 02:07 am
Cool Cruiser

Have to agree because of the texture I had mine painted by a professional also. If the surface isn't prepared with the right agents it will just peel off. If you decide to have them done make sure they have done them before.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 11:34 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks for all the quick responses everyone. I guess I have to sand them to make them smooth. Anyway, I will probably attempt it this coming weekend. Gotta look into getting an adhesive promoter.[:I]
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 16 Nov 2004, 10:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to jmack

I think that depending on the car, the mirrors should stay Black. For instance, my car is Stone White, but the black mirros really in my opinion don't "wash out" the car. I have also noticed that Chrysler probably did this as a "euro" thing. My old M3 was colored coded on EVERYTHING except the mirrors. IMHO
Old 16 Nov 2004, 11:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

Yeah, I agree. Depending on your car, you may want it to remain black. I was originally planning to paint my side mirrors to my cars body color (graphite metalic). Then I realized, it won't look won't look right after I have tinted windows. Therefore, I plan to keep them black.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>