Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can you paint chrome?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Nov 2004, 09:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Can you paint chrome?

The reason I'm asking is I'm going to order the E&G grill.
I like the chrome one but I like the looks of the polished
grill with no vertical lines showing, So if I order the chrome
grill and decide to paint the vertical lines,can I and if so
how do I do it?
Old 20 Nov 2004, 12:06 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I don't have the specific answers to your questions but here are my thoughts. I also considered getting the chrome E & G horizontal grille but decided to go with the polished aluminum one because I too didn't like the looks of the vertical support-fins showing. I wash, clean, and dry the billet aluminum but never use any polish on it. This has worked very well for me and I really like how the grille looks! [8D] You may want to give E & G http://www.egclassic.com/home.htm a call: 1-800-394-2774. Good luck. [8]
BEFORE: the stock look.

AFTER: the custom after-market look!

CHROME VS. POLISHED??? You decide which of the two grilles
looks "best" on your Cruiser. IMHO, both of the grilles look good. [^]

Old 20 Nov 2004, 09:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

I would buy the $20 black out kit and see if that gets the look you want...if not.. THEN paint over the hella expensive grill...You already have the chrome grill now...just black out the vertical bars with this: http://www.streamlinedesign.com/ptcruiser/ptgbok.html

Besides, I heard the lighter the color of the car, the better this kit works.

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 21 Nov 2004, 12:18 am
Senior Cruiser

It does seem kind of stupid to buy a nice new Chrome grill than paint over it.I just think the E&G grill makes the car look so much meaner coming at you.I'll have to give it some more thought.I just wish I could see one in person.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 21 Nov 2004, 02:16 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Hey Jimbo, what wrong with your present grill?[:I] It think it looks great on your car. [:X] Are you just looking for something different???
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 21 Nov 2004, 04:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Jimbo.......yes you can use paint. It would be a tedious job and you may need to touch up rock chips once in a while. You could try black tape for an easy fix, but that might get raggedy over time. Consider using black door edge guard, cut short pieces to fit and put them on with some kind of stickem for extra hold. Save leftovers for repair/ replacement, later.
Old 21 Nov 2004, 04:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

chrome is very smooth. Paint won't stick well. If you want to paint details, either bead blast or sand the area.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 21 Nov 2004, 11:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SuGamer

Hey Jimbo, what wrong with your present grill?[:I] It think it looks great on your car. [:X] Are you just looking for something different???
I am just looking for something different.Since the grill
is not to hard to change. I figure I could flip flop every now and than. and I really like the looks of the E&G grill.I might try
sakigt's idea also.This time of year when the weather starts to change I just get the urge to order something and I haven't done anything to the outside of my Cruiser for a while now.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 22 Nov 2004, 11:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gary04GT

I don't have the specific answers to your questions but here are my thoughts. I also considered getting the chrome E & G horizontal grille but decided to go with the polished aluminum one because I too didn't like the looks of the vertical support-fins showing. I wash, clean, and dry the billet aluminum but never use any polish on it. This has worked very well for me and I really like how the grille looks!
Same here. On the polished billet E&G grill, everthing is painted black except the front face of each horizontal strip. Had mine 3 years now, maintenance free and still looks great.[?]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Nov 2004, 02:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

I liked the black out kit idea from www.streamlinedesign.com too. but when I went back to look at it again, I saw that it won't work for the turbo, just for n/a.