PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Factory Spoiler and Chrome Trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2005, 12:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler
Default Factory Spoiler and Chrome Trim

I was wondering if anybody knows how the Factory OEM Spoiler mounts to te rear hatch (like whats on the GT). Is it drilled on?? Also, Revell has one for $219 painted and all, anybody know of one I could get cheaper? Also, I liked how the Chrome around the belt-line looks, and saw a "kit" for $80 off the internet. I was wondering if I coudl get this from the Chrysler Dealer, but I just want it along the belt-line, the rest doesn't look too good I think.

Also, does the Spoiler does anythign as far as Aero-Dynamics, or is it just for looks?? I took my Cruiser past 100mph once, and the rear felt really light. Not that I plan on doing that again, but was wondering if it helped any.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 02:35 pm
Young Cruiser

The factory spoiler on my GT is bolted on with at least two bolts on each end...there could be another bolt on each end under the window trim, but I'm not sure. So far as helping with aerodynamics, I don't think it helps too much, mostly a looks thing.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 02:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Two bolts on each side holds it on. The Chrysler one comes with a drilling template. I got ours, a Chrysler OEM one on eBay for $108 including S&H. The only problem was that he only had Inferno Red! Oh, wait a minute, that's the color of my PT!! Sometime you get lucky on eBay.[?]
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 10 Jan 2005, 03:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler

Well, I like how it looks... but I think this means I woudl have to drill holes in my car?? [:0]

Old 10 Jan 2005, 03:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Available orderable colors are black, silver and red. All others you get it primed to paint.
2 bolts either side.Get some silicon sealer as well, and you put it along the base of the spoiler before you attach it. Keep sthe water out of the drill holes .

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 10 Jan 2005, 04:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Konkeler

Well, I like how it looks... but I think this means I woudl have to drill holes in my car?? [:0]

"Oh come on, all the cooool kids are doing it, and it's only four little holes. You're mom will never know...."
Old 10 Jan 2005, 05:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yep, you have to drill holes in your car. $220 is pretty good if it's already painted. Take a look on E-bay, if nothing comes up, then go for the one you already found pre-painted. The chrome beltline (not the revell billet) can be had for about $50. I had it on my PT, and it looked really nice, but after a year it began to peel and crack, so I took it off. It's basically a very long rubber gasket covered in chrome plastic that is cut down to fit around the car. I would say to invest in the revell billet aluminum one, it will last you as long as the car does.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 11:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

I got my factory style spoiler from raceandstreet.com I talked to Maggie on the phone before ordering because my color was brand spankin' new and they'd never done one in that color before. The match is absolutely perfect, and the quality overall is top notch.

I was, of course, nervous about drilling into my new car but the system they use is really slick. I didn't have the slightest problem doing it on my own, and only needed my wife to hold the spoiler in place as I lined up the guides. That was it. I would HIGHLY recommend raceandstreet.com - don't pass them off because of their listed price, call them and tell them about the prices you're finding, I'm sure they'll work with you. On their website they claim to be NEVER, NEVER UNDERSOLD! Remember, ask for Maggie.

As for any true aerodynamic benefits....I sort of doubt it, but then again my car feels perfectly comfortable at 100mph (it's also lowered a couple of inches so maybe that helps too!).

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot about the beltline question. Most of the cheap beltlines you find on ebay are just that - cheap. I wanted one too but when I went to a couple of shows and saw some of the "chromed plastic" pieces ill fitted to many cars I knew I wasn't putting that on my car. So....I threw a ton of $$$ at the Stull billet aluminum beltline and just love the thing. Check out my site for close ups.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 11:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I got my Spoiler from Maggie at Myrtle Beach. 2 holes are drilled in the tailgate area and it is bolted on from the inside. Looks great, but have no idea if it helps with staying on the road.

I used the "chrome" with adhesive from Advance Auto at $15.00 a roll. So IF it goes bad in a couple of years, so what, at $15.00 a roll it still is inexpesive. I can take it off IF I were to resell it and make it look less modded.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 06:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

I put on the spoiler on my wifes Cruiser. It was a snap.
It comes with a templet and gasket.I do think it helps
in a strong wind.Even if it doesn't ,it looks good doing nothing.
I would also get it from Race and Streets. They are the best.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)