Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Candy Apple Tailights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2005, 10:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Candy Apple Tailights

I just ordered some (Candy Apple Red Tailights) from Cruiser Motor Sports. Hate the amber, especially on Inferno Red. So' anyone have all red? Let's see some pics, if you got'em, purtty please? Just love getting new stuff for "Simply Red" !!!
Old 20 Jan 2005, 10:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you hated the amber, you could have gotten the red/white tail lights from Pro Car Parts.com I put in chrome colored bulbs that blink amber when lit.

Old 20 Jan 2005, 11:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

All red with LED bulb...
Old 21 Jan 2005, 01:48 am
Cool Cruiser

CREWZIN,I like the red and white on your Silver PT. It all ties together quite nicely. I think as long as your back up lights are a different color, such as white, you can have all red. Our Cooper S has all red with small white for back up. I think the all red will look more uniform. I've been thinking about doing this for a long time, just couldn't stand the amber any longer.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 10:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

Old 21 Jan 2005, 11:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jeff V

All red with LED bulb...
Where'd you get the LED bulbs?[:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Jan 2005, 01:16 am
Cool Cruiser

RallyDRock, where did you get yours and how much? If that's not too personal, or prying? I do like how it looks with silver and think I'll be pleased with the look on Inferno Red. Another question, are they easy to change out? As you can see in my signature pic the one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb, at least to me anyway is the amber on the tailights. Can't wait to get rid of them.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 09:47 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Red GT
Another question, are they easy to change out? As you can see in my signature pic the one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb, at least to me anyway is the amber on the tailights. Can't wait to get rid of them.
Tail lights are the easy to change. One screw than pull down and they are out.take out lights by turning and install in new tail light,
One thing if new lights don't fit tight,just adjust the clips and
they fit great.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 22 Jan 2005, 02:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

All red tail lights are very easy to do yourself, here's how I did mine.
Go to a hobby, or craft store, and puchase a can of Kylon red stained glass color paint. It has a clear red cap.
Go to an auto parts store, or department, and purchase a can of Duplicolor, or equal, top clear coat and some wet/dry automotive sandpaper. I used 3M superfine 400 grit.
You'll also need some denatured alcohol for removing any grease from the surface.
Follow JIMBO'S direction for removing the tail light assembly from the car.
Use the wet/dry (wet worked best for me ) sandpaper and thouroughly scuff the entire surface of the tail light lense.
Rinse thouroughly and dry to remove sanding debris.
After the assembly is dry, thouroughly wipe it down with denatured alcohol to remove all grease and finger marks. Wearing surgical gloves helps here.
When the alcohol dries apply a few thin coats of the red following instructions on the can. The deepness of the red desired will dictate how may coats.
After the red dried I wet sanded and tacked the surface as above.
Then apply several thin coats of the clearcoat, folowing directions on the can.
When this had dried a couple of days I rubbed it out with polishing compound followed by a good wax.
Installation is the reverse of taking the assembly out.
The cost was a very few bucks, it did take a little time, but it sure beats the cost of buying them and you can get the tone of the red desired, plus you did it yourself.
Have fun
Old 22 Jan 2005, 07:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

I am a craft person at heart but, getting lazy in my older age and buying them seems an easier way to go. Anyway already bought them. Thanks for the info.