PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
CLEAR Tail Lights/Tails

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2005, 02:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to fugitiveALiEN
Default CLEAR Tail Lights/Tails

Hey guys, i'm hoping someone has seen something like this before, but what I'm looking for is a set of TOTALLY clear taillights. Not Clear with a red piece inside or even the nice 3d or 3rd gen lights because i'm looking for completely clear lights. I have some on my eclipse, and I use a good set of RED led lights on them and they do well even in daylight Anyone know of any vendors with them for sale? I think it would be awesome. PS: I've not been pulled over ever for these since a lot of newer cars have all clear tails as well: Toyota Prius, Lexus IS300 (SUV), Mitsubishi 9g Galant, and others. I'd love to have these on my PT[:0]

They actually look less pink as they do in the pic, i think it's so bright it tweaks the camera [:I]
Old 05 Feb 2005, 09:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Can't help you with the ALL CLEAR lenses, but I can tell you that you better add "Yet" to your statement about being pulled over, as in "I've not been pulled over yet". ALL cars form 1968 onwards, have to have a 2" red reflective surface at or near the rear end of the car, Same for the front, only it's amber reflective surface. Look on the newer cars "Toyota Prius, Lexus IS300 (SUV), Mitsubishi, Galant, and others" and somewhere, either built into the lights or on the side of the car, you'll see a red reflective surface at the rear.
Old 05 Feb 2005, 02:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

That's what the little red reflector on the reverse light is for...I don't think the stockers have a reflective area to them.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 05 Feb 2005, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Tommy,

The reflective on the reverse light is also part of the law saying you need reflective surface seen from the rear. The stock tail lights do have a 2" reflective surface on the side, right between the turn signal and the brake light...look closely and you'll see it.

Mine aren't completely stock but you can see the reflective area I outlined in the photo below.

Old 05 Feb 2005, 09:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

Gotcha, so you need one from the rear and the side huh...cuz i've never seen the side tail light reflect at night when i was behind one. Oh well, My Dakota had completely clear tails and I was pulled over a few times in it, but not for the tails. Fuzz never said a thing but it all depends on how the cop feels that night and how much attitude you give em. We don't have annual safety inspections or anything like that around here so we can get away with quite a few things that cops don't even notice. But thanks for the update Crewzin and I love your tails. I just can't justify the money for no power gain. I may have to go the Krylon route with mine.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 05 Feb 2005, 10:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Tommy,

Who said there was no power gain with the tails? Everyone knows the amber bit slows you down whereas the white replacement brings down the drag co-efficient.

You've never seen the side tail light reflect when you were behind, becuase it's only there to reflect from the side. The red on the reverse lights are for people behind.
Old 06 Feb 2005, 10:55 am
Senior Cruiser

I guess I've never paid attention.I have never seen
the red reflect from the rear or side.I will check this
this out tonight.Learn something everyday.Boy ,Crewzin
for an old guy ,you sure are sharp[}]

Went to the store,snowing out had my lights on.
noticed reflectors on every parked car I passed.
I guess I just never paid attention before.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 06 Feb 2005, 08:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jimbo

.Boy ,Crewzin
Old 10 Feb 2005, 12:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jimbo

.Boy ,Crewzin
I knew that

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 12 Feb 2005, 04:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to fugitiveALiEN

Au Contraire Mon French Fry

I have been pulled over with these lights at the same time as i was being pulled over for blue lights on my license plate bracket. Apparently those weren't a problem then, just the blue ones

I looked on the lexus RX3*** series and i DID see a red reflector at the BOTTOM but i still don't remember seeing any red in the light itself.

But again that's just one.

But to tell you the truth, the cruiser already has a red reflecting surface on the 3rd brake light that would get ya by on as well

DO you live in VA? I'm still looking for that on the books for just "reflectors/taillights" i've been readin up on it ever since i bought these things Still Dig the ALL CLEAR style and i didn't think either of the Furious Fast movies were all that furious and CGI-ically-fast or good for that matter[:0]

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Can't help you with the ALL CLEAR lenses, but I can tell you that you better add "Yet" to your statement about being pulled over, as in "I've not been pulled over yet". ALL cars form 1968 onwards, have to have a 2" red reflective surface at or near the rear end of the car, Same for the front, only it's amber reflective surface. Look on the newer cars "Toyota Prius, Lexus IS300 (SUV), Mitsubishi, Galant, and others" and somewhere, either built into the lights or on the side of the car, you'll see a red reflective surface at the rear.