PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Bumper Pad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Mar 2005, 01:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bumper Pad

I searched the database, but I did n't see an answer to the q I had in mind.

Does anyone know if the OEM bump pads can be dyed / painted to your vehicles color?????
Old 22 Mar 2005, 07:58 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Dan,
go back and do a search for "tape marks" and I'm sure you will get a hit and find the answers you are looking for.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 22 Mar 2005, 08:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Someone did it, but then regretted it. The pad is to prevent scratches. Paint it, and now the pad gets the scratches..[xx(]
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Mar 2005, 11:07 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Someone did it, but then regretted it. The pad is to prevent scratches. Paint it, and now the pad gets the scratches..[xx(]
So true. [:0] Don't paint the pad as, IMHO, you will regret it [B)] in the long run.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 12:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GLHS444

I searched the database, but I did n't see an answer to the q I had in mind.

Does anyone know if the OEM bump pads can be dyed / painted to your vehicles color?????
I have the bumper protector on my GT. I painted it to match the car. I found that IF you use a wire brush to rough up the surface, then use a plastic adhesive before you paint it, the paint stays on reasonably well. I do have to touch mine up from time to time but it is much better than the scratches my bumper would be getting from my Irish Wolfhounds toenails as he climbs over it. I would never be able to get the scratches out of the bumper. Is it maintenance free, NO. Does it help, in my case, YES. I used the spray paint available from Chrysler.

I wouldn't make this mod to a show car but on a daily driver that gets used it isn't bad. I touch up the paint on mine about once a year. Oh, I tried painting it without the plastic adhesive and the paint started coming off almost immediately.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 12:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't know how it's holding up, but here's a photo of a friend of mine I met and helped out from the forums. He sent me this picture and I noticed he had the painted rear step pad. Hope he doesn't mind me posting his photo.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 22 Mar 2005, 01:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you don't really plan on using the back as MichaelDay or myself (dogs spoken here, or even the occasional Home Depot thing) then fine. It will look good and serve the perpose, to look clean and good[?]
Old 22 Mar 2005, 03:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigdogdad

If you don't really plan on using the back as MichaelDay or myself (dogs spoken here, or even the occasional Home Depot thing) then fine. It will look good and serve the perpose, to look clean and good[?]
...of course if you don't plan on using the back, then you really don't need to put the pad on in the first place.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 22 Mar 2005, 04:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigdogdad

...of course if you don't plan on using the back, then you really don't need to put the pad on in the first place.
So true, but some just like the look. After all, a mod is a mod.[?]
Old 23 Mar 2005, 02:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

[quote]quote:Originally posted by MichaelDay

Quote:
I have the bumper protector on my GT. I painted it to match the car. I found that IF you use a wire brush to rough up the surface, then use a plastic adhesive before you paint it, the paint stays on reasonably well. I do have to touch mine up from time to time but it is much better than the scratches my bumper would be getting from my Irish Wolfhounds toenails as he climbs over it. I would never be able to get the scratches out of the bumper. Is it maintenance free, NO. Does it help, in my case, YES. I used the spray paint available from Chrysler.

I wouldn't make this mod to a show car but on a daily driver that gets used it isn't bad. I touch up the paint on mine about once a year. Oh, I tried painting it without the plastic adhesive and the paint started coming off almost immediately.
Thats what I needed to hear...thanks Michael.

I don't mind patching the bumper pad, just don't wanna destroy the paint on the bumper loading server system boards in and out of it on a daily basis. It'll also keep my Austr. Shepherd's nails off of it too.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
86 Shelby GLHS #444
04 GT Inferno Red (auto and the wifes)
07 GT 5'er Black (mine)
President
Lone Star SDAC