Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Exterior Accessories Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Grill on '03 turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2005, 05:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Grill on '03 turbo

Daughter brought her car here - I wanted to swap my E&G classic grill for her stock one to put mine back to stock to sell. Couldn't get the grill out on the '03. On '01-'02 there were top screws and a tab on each side - take out screws and pull up - what's the trick on '03?
Also - noticed theres "stuff" over the passenger stock tower - speed control and some connector with terminals marked 1, 2, 3. How do you get a strut brace on? Couldn't even see the strut bolts.
My plan was to reuse my E&G classic bilet grill on my new '05 - hope they didn't change grill mounting further in '05...
Anyone take there grill off on an '03 or '05??
Old 27 Mar 2005, 06:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don,

Don't have the turbo (as you know) but have seen the GT guys discussing the tower strut bar. That "stuff" has to be re-located and one or two of the "made for turbo" strut bars comes with a way of attaching that "stuff" to it so you can get to the strut bolts, or the strut bar itself is made in a way to go around the "stuff". Don't know anything about the grill. [:I]

Old 27 Mar 2005, 06:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hmmm - Looks like the "stuff" is right back where it was - guess you take it off, put strut bar on & bolt "stuff" back...
Old 27 Mar 2005, 07:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Hmmm - Looks like the "stuff" is right back where it was - guess you take it off, put strut bar on & bolt "stuff" back...
QSD, the 3 thingies you talk about on the passenger side are your solenoids for the Crewz Control (with my Apologies to Crewzin [?]) [)] The BTG bar which is shown in the picture comes with a small bracket. It replaces the stock bracket and bolts to the backside of the bar. This one looks like an Auto, but on a 5 speed, there is also the clutch resorvoir over near the drivers side. Mine looked a little too tight to leave where it was so I simply repositioned it to a slightly different bracket. think I had to reroute the w/s washer hose to clear. [8)]
As far as the grille goes, it sounds very similar...2 small bolts on each side & lift straight up, 2 tabs near the bottom position it. [xx(] First time it sticks a little. Paint must not have been totally dry when they assembled it. [^]
Old 27 Mar 2005, 09:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

QSD,
Just encountered the same problem trying to remove the grille for our new 2003. Here's the trick, they added a couple of tabs that mate with the fender. Remove the 4 screws, 2 each side at the top, BUT, DO NOT pull the top of the grille out like the 2001 & 2002, push downward toward the bumper on the sides a little and then pull it away from the fenders. There are still the "fingers" at the bottom of the grille and they added some "tabs" that hook into holes in the fenders about mid way up the sides of the grille. So push down, then pull away and lift the grille off.I don't remember if the 2001 & 2002 fenders have the holes or not so you may have to cut the tabs off to fit the grille on the 2002.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 27 Mar 2005, 09:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks, John & Terry.
Daughter's gone now, will have to try it on my '05 when I get it. (and hope they haven't changed it more).
Old 27 Mar 2005, 11:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

QSD....
The 3 thingies are solenoids but not for cruse control. They have to do with turbo operation, controling the waste gate actuator, etc. You're going to have to go back to school to learn (and unlearn) a bunch of stuff now that you have joined the Boost Club.

Welcome to the next level. [8)]