Advertisements
window tinting in california

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sshow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2005, 12:48 am
Young Cruiser

Default window tinting in california

Anybody know the law for tinting your windows in Cal? I have heard conflicting stories.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 02:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The only requirements in CA are in regard to the windshield and the front driver and passenger windows. Tinting on the windshield can not extend more than 4" from the top of the windshield. Tinting on the front windows is limited to 70% Visible Light Transmission including the tint that the glass starts out with. Additionally, the tint must not increase the reflectivity of the glass and red, amber and blue tint film is NOT allowed.

By the way, seven states (including CA) require no less than 70% VLT while only CO, IL, NH, NJ and VT allow NO tint at all on the front side windows. All other states allow a darker tint.

Check out http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm for the laws for all states per the International Window Film Association.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 20 May 2015, 08:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: window tinting in california

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDay View Post
The only requirements in CA are in regard to the windshield and the front driver and passenger windows. Tinting on the windshield can not extend more than 4" from the top of the windshield. Tinting on the front windows is limited to 70% Visible Light Transmission including the tint that the glass starts out with. Additionally, the tint must not increase the reflectivity of the glass and red, amber and blue tint film is NOT allowed.

By the way, seven states (including CA) require no less than 70% VLT while only CO, IL, NH, NJ and VT allow NO tint at all on the front side windows. All other states allow a darker tint.

Check out http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm for the laws for all states per the International Window Film Association.
Im sorry to bump quite an old thread, but to update the legal info for current visitors - I was searching this info recently and I found out there are some less accurate resources nowadays, but this one was especially helpful for me (up-to-date state by state listings + paralegals explanation): US state by state window tint laws website
buddyiramae likes this.
Old 20 May 2015, 04:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshow View Post
Im sorry to bump quite an old thread, but to update the legal info for current visitors - I was searching this info recently and I found out there are some less accurate resources nowadays, but this one was especially helpful for me (up-to-date state by state listings + paralegals explanation): US state by state window tint laws website
when you click illinois on the map, it takes you to idaho LOL.

a few towns here claim home rule and nail you as you drive through, even though the new tint law states:

"A home rule unit may not regulate motor vehicles in a manner inconsistent with this Section. This Section is a limitation under subsection (i) of Section 6 of Article VII of the Illinois Constitution on the concurrent exercise by home rule units of powers and functions exercised by the State."

i know a friendly 45 year old lady married to an FBI agent, a model citizen IMO, that was nailed in melrose park IL for factory tint a couple months ago. the cop made it sound like he was letting her off easy by giving her the $150 local ordinance ticket instead of the state ticket. that town is so notorious for this that when i pass through, even if it's 30 out, my windows are down.

no matter what the law actually says, you can still get stopped for it. maybe they'll bust out the meter and check as an excuse to roll you and check you out. seems like a shady way they make money around here, some towns more than others.
Old 20 May 2015, 06:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Basically speaking in California it is subject to the citing officer. And if you get a citation you will NOT beat the charge. Even if it is a officer correction sign off the State of California still charges Administration Fee's which vary from county to county. $15-$35 with prof of correction.

Rule of thumb if you live in California and you tint your window watch out for city police and California Highway patrol, neither are forgiving if you have tint on your windows.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 May 2015, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

inn missouri i got stoped for a factory tine on my pontiac itold the ofice it was factory he said SO he got his little meter out and checked it (This all took about a HOUR) came back and said i was over the legal limit and it needed REWMOVED I was like and how do i remove a factory tine his answer was I dont care just remove it

HE actualyl said he could inpound the car so i agreed to remove it
i did go to a laywer his sugestion was to remove it OR get a Drs note saying I needed it for my eyes.

I ended up takling out the 2 drivers windowns and go0t 2 more from a pick and pull that were not as dark
Old 21 May 2015, 11:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

In Arkansas, individual counties and cities have their own window tint ordinances. That way they can stop out-town-folks, ticket them and then make them pay before they can go. It's helps boost revenue for local police without raising local sale tax, so they say.