PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Autotechnica chrome grill overlay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2003, 01:45 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to spicy pt
Default Autotechnica chrome grill overlay

Buyer beware! After seeing the Autotechnica grill overlay on some of our club members' cars, I KNEW I wanted that grill on my '03 DreamCruiser. But, like all other mods for the GT/DreamCruiser, heard it wouldn't fit as the bottom configuration wasn't configured to the GT grill. [xx(] Luck would have it that somebody said (I repeat "said") they took the grill and put it on a GT and it DID fit. Whooo hoooo, I'm jazzed! On the phone immediately and ordered my grill...it arrives the day before Cruiserfest. Well, let's see:
1. The clips are so cheap they popped off like a soda can top! Ok, can work around that...drilled the dang thing right into the stock grill. Now I KNOW it won't go anywhere. Rumor has it they will soon be manufacturing the grill with stronger clips.
2. Bottom portion does NOT fit. Configuration is an ok match, but the GT grill is about 1/4 inch thicker from front to back than the overlay. No way on God's green earth it will fit unless you crack the stock grill. No thanks. But, thanks to a whole lotta 3M tape, it's on and not going anywhere.

The look is really nice on the DreamCruiser and I'm still happy I bought the grill. Just thought I'd pass it along (from experience) that it's not a simple snap-on procedure.

Old 05 Jun 2003, 11:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

An overlay on a GT? I give it six to ten months before it's peeling and yellowed.
Old 06 Jun 2003, 01:12 am
Young Cruiser

We'll see what happens. If the high temps make it peel or yellow, trust me...I'll be posting that here too! Was at Cruiserfest last weekend and got a ton of compliments on the look of the grill. Durability remains to be seen.

\'03 DreamCruiser #1040, too many interior and exterior chrome accents to list, orange/white underbody neons, SPICY PT 3BL and plate
Old 06 Jun 2003, 11:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to GTCruzr

I also just installed the grille overlay on my GT. It is an overlay that is chromed... they claim it will not discolor or peel. I too have gotten tons of compliments. The chrome is very beefy! I had no prblems with the upper, and clipped right on. The bottom I put on and removed 3 times... Now it will not go anywhere :-) 3M Exterior, water resistant did the trick!
Old 07 Jun 2003, 01:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

spicypt, I think if you go to ptcruiserlinks.com homepage and look at the DIY's, there is a posting about a NA PT that put the chrome strips on and they had to be replaced after eight or ten months. Granted, the overlay may be "thicker" than the strips, but the turbo puts a lot more heat out and one of the places that heat escapes is through the grille. Don't mean to dampen any spirits, I too like the look of the overlay, but I went with real billet after reading the DIY follow-up.
Old 07 Jun 2003, 03:30 am
Young Cruiser

If the overlay grill does end up not withstanding the heat, I'll find something more durable. But, haven't really taken the time to "grill shop" and find out what I think would look good on the DC2. I just wanted something to make the front end stand out and the shiny chrome definitely does do that!

Thanks for the input! [^]

\'03 DreamCruiser #1040, too many interior and exterior chrome accents to list, orange/white underbody neons, SPICY PT 3BL and plate
Old 07 Jun 2003, 12:26 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to GTCruzr

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jeff V

spicypt, I think if you go to ptcruiserlinks.com homepage and look at the DIY's, there is a posting about a NA PT that put the chrome strips on and they had to be replaced after eight or ten months. Granted, the overlay may be "thicker" than the strips, but the turbo puts a lot more heat out and one of the places that heat escapes is through the grille. Don't mean to dampen any spirits, I too like the look of the overlay, but I went with real billet after reading the DIY follow-up.
I think you are referring to the "English" grille from DIY? That is completely different than the overlay we have installed. The grille overlay we installed is a honeycomb (mold of the grille) that is dipped into chrome and put over the grille in 2 peices. One for the top and one for the bottom. This is not strips of chrome added to the edge of the grille.
Old 12 Jun 2003, 10:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have that now, and have no problems with the strips. They just need to be sealed at the ends.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 21 Jun 2003, 03:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

what if I allready got the pt with the crome package
can I still use this overlay grill here ...http://www.revelenterprises.com/pt_c...paptgrille.htm

????????????
Old 21 Jun 2003, 03:55 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If your chrome gille is part of the "chrome pkg" then it's made entirely different because the chrome is inset with paint on either side of it. The ribs appear flatter and thicker so I don't think any overlay will work. Sorry

But I could be wrong so do some side by side measuring with a non-chrome grille.