Advertisements
Shifter knob

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 May 2009, 04:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Shifter knob

I'm driving a 2002 PT automatic. I want to replace the shifter knob with a chrome skull (it's a theme), but I'm concerned with the release button on the shifter. Anyone have any experience changing these out, and if there is a custom knob that accommodates automatics?
Old 20 May 2009, 04:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Shifter knob

Oh...And I did search the forums, but the one entry I found, the link no longer works. If anyone comes across one, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 28 Jun 2009, 11:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to CranTerri

You can try FlameBall.com by clicking here!
They even have a skull one.

Old 08 Oct 2009, 04:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

yes you can do that i can give you a site which can be helpful...
Amazon.com: Pilot PM142C Chrome Skull Shift Knob: Automotive
Old 23 Jan 2013, 01:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey guys,

Do you have any updates about changing your shift knob?

I am also interested in this.

I have a 2009 pt cruiser automatic. I bought a universal realistic skull shifter but
mu only concern is the button cuz mine is automatic. Does that matter?
Please let me know if you have tried installing yours cuz the skull shifter knobs doesn't come with buttons. So I figure if you install it it would be kinda like stick shift?
Old 23 Jan 2013, 03:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It depends on the mounting adapter you are supplied with. If the spring is strong to lift the knob upward then you have nothing to worry about. Otherwise you can easily miss neutral and go into reverse.

I run a solid flame ball on my auto with a modified spring so I can shift manual shift and click up to neutral at stops without worry.

RalphE likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 23 Jan 2013 at 03:11 pm.
Old 23 Jan 2013, 07:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

if the spring you get is too weak.

Go to Kimber Kable

spend $3 on a 18lb recoil guide rod spring, and cut 1/4 of it off. Walahh you have a spring strong enough to lift the ball :-D
Old 03 Mar 2013, 12:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'm going to post and add info here on this slightly old thread to help others who happen accross it and have questions about the automatic trans install.

If you want a "theme" knob such as a skull, 8-ball or flame, it's a 2 part process. First, you absolutly have to get the adapter shown in the photos supplied by Nitro above. (Thank You, Nitro. ) You can't simply get a knob that attaches to the top of the shifter like a manual shifter. If you do, the shifter will lock up and not go through all the gear positions. Again, you need the adapter that articulates up and down to work the reverse/park interlock.

Secondly, you need a knob threaded at 16mm x 1.5 to fit the stud on the adapter. They are not common but they are out there. Here's one that I found with a "skull shift knob 16mm x 1.5" internet search.....
American Shifter Limited Edition Series Shift Knobs 224 - SummitRacing.com
Note that the adapter has a slot that you may wish to hide by facing it toward the dash. This may mean that the skull knob may not be clocked or faced in the right direction when it's snugged all the way down. If that happens, just use some Loctite thread locker and let it set-up with the knob facing the right way over night. I like to spread a light coat on both the male and female threads a day or two before I thread them together. That way the knob is ready to shift away after the install with no waiting. The Gennie Shifter Company also makes skull shift knobs with the 16mm x 1.5 thread......
Gennie Shifter Catalog

The Lokar shifter company makes skull shift knobs that have a nice, flush button that doesn't spoil the profile of the skull with dufus bump on top because the adapter is inside already......
Lokar: Shifter Knobs
But it is designed to fit their V8 hot rod shifters. I haven't had my hands on one but I see it attaches with a set screw so if the width of the Cruiser stick and the hole in the Lokar shifter can be made the same size, I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine. (Don't expect anyone from the Lokar Company to help you out with answers to questions. They are not too interested in selling a knob for an aplication other than for their shifter.)

Now..... If you get the adapter with the 16mm x 1.5 thread and you want something nicer than a cheap plastic resin or aluminum skull, I invite you to take a peek at my link here.....
GEMSTONE SHIFT KNOBS
I produce the most exclusive, finest quality shift knobs in the world. I happen to have a couple of artisan made, hand carved from gemstone, skull shift knobs in my inventory. I don't expect the average Cruiser owner would ever be a customer but I invite you to look.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 10:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Shifter knob

FlameBall.com also has some of theirs LED lighted...

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!