Advertisements
door pillar trim - painting with rattle cans

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Nov 2014, 04:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default door pillar trim - painting with rattle cans

Hello all-

After spending a beautiful weathered day in the junkyard , my pops and I both emerged with two almost perfect sets of door pillar trim ! The next task will be prepping and rattle-canning them silver (following some great threads on here) to replace my oxidized black ones. Looking forward to a "mod" on my otherwise bone stock PTGT.

Who can pass up $ 17.95 a set ? ! Not us !

Pictures will follow.

-2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT
-Patriot Blue, Bright Silver Metallic rear spoiler, billet grille, 17" chrome wheels, hyperground cable, Spectre short ram CAI
-119,000 miles and counting ...

Last edited by 03TXPTGT; 01 Nov 2014 at 05:03 pm.
Old 08 Nov 2014, 09:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: door pillar trim - painting with rattle cans

I don't think you will be disappointed with the look. It really brings a smooth flow to the side of your car. I love the way mine turned out.

Good luck and hurry up and post those pics,

Bubba_1952

03TXPTGT likes this.
Old 09 Nov 2014, 01:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

How do you remove those without destroying them? I've tried to remove some at the salvage yard and they always get damaged. What's the trick to get them off in perfect condition?
Old 09 Nov 2014, 02:08 am
Cool Cruiser

Get some chrome ones...lol

2008 Convertible Turbo -lite
2007 Touring N/A Boneyard
Old 09 Nov 2014, 02:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny7627 View Post
Get some chrome ones...lol
For my PT, I like the black ones. They give better contrast against the linen gold color of my PT. But the chrome looks great on your blue PT. The inside edge of the one on my driver door has a few chips in it. And I'd like to replace it. But it appears the original ones were factor bent around the pillars. And just don't come off without bending up. Or at least that's my experience.
Old 09 Nov 2014, 06:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
How do you remove those without destroying them? I've tried to remove some at the salvage yard and they always get damaged. What's the trick to get them off in perfect condition?
To remove, you lower the glass and pull the glass weatherstripping out of the channel. In the weatherstripping channel there are some small torx head screws, remove those. Then on the inside of the doors, remove the torx screws at the end of the trim piece that is on the outside of the doors, at the bottom of the glass. On the rear doors there is a screw at each end and you can completely remove this trim piece from the door. On the front doors there is only one screw, at the back of the doors, not necessary to remove this trim from the doors, just remove the screw and loosen the trim piece. Then to remove the pillar trim pieces, from the lip that goes in the weatherstripping channel, gently lift up the trim piece and roll it towards the outer part that is rolled around the door edge. On the back of the trim pieces, at the top, there is a small plastic wedge that may be loose, don't lose those. Reinstall in reverse order. Also, when removing the trim screws, it helps to stuff a rag in the small crack at the bottom of the glass as you may drop some screws down inside the door, if that happens, then you have to remove the door panel to retrieve.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 09 Nov 2014, 09:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
For my PT, I like the black ones. They give better contrast against the linen gold color of my PT. But the chrome looks great on your blue PT. The inside edge of the one on my driver door has a few chips in it. And I'd like to replace it. But it appears the original ones were factor bent around the pillars. And just don't come off without bending up. Or at least that's my experience.
I'm with you. To me, the black pillars blend with the tinted glass and give a uniform look - maybe it's a lighter body color thing....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Nov 2014, 10:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I used the carbon fiber vinyl layovers.

Dazzaman likes this.
Old 09 Nov 2014, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
These are not bent to the door. If you remove the wetherstripping Window channel you will see some small screws to remove and then it's just a mater of lifting and sliding them off. Or just prep and paint on the car. I to like the black out. There are some patterns in the Hydro dipping materials that would be cool if done in the right colors.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 09 Nov 2014 at 01:49 pm.
Old 09 Nov 2014, 03:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: door pillar trim - painting with rattle cans

Quote:
Yes, it kinda depends on your colors/color theme.
I remember that a lot of the mods on soonercruiser were red/white/and black!

2010 Dodge Challenger SE as my day-driver.
2005 "Limited", Stage 1 Turbo Lite, the "Cowboy Cruiser".

Have now owned 5 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!