Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Exterior & Interior Styling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
E&G Horizontal Billet Grill For GT's - Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2004, 02:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default E&G Horizontal Billet Grill For GT's - Help

Just got a horizontal billet grill from E&G and I'm really disappointed on how they instruct you to install the lower grill.

Does anyone have experience with the installation on their GT?

Lou
Old 29 Jul 2004, 09:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Not sure about the E&G but most lower grilles have to be fastened over the existing grille with screws since the lower grille is a molded part of the fascia.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 11:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Lou,
Should have traded it for the First Place Trophy and you wouldn't have this problem!![:0]
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 30 Jul 2004, 12:53 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I'm not a "car guy" by any means so it took me awhile (a well kept secret as it would distroy "my image" [B)] [:0] ) to install the lower section. The top section was a "piece of cake" to install.

I did not paint the lower stock grille bars as recommended. If your car is a dark color then there is probably no need to do anything unless you are a perfectionist. I taped the lower stock grille bars with black duct tape which worked fine. Then, align/center the lower E&G grille piece and you will find the 4 screws supplied will "self tap" into the plastic stock grille bars/lower bumper. Do not use a drill to make a pilot hole--NO NEED--and the screws will hold better. Use a punch or sharp nail to make a [u]small</u> pilot hole, put in the screws carefully, and you're done. I was pleased with the way mine new E&G Polished Aluminum Billet Grille looked after my "professional installation". [8D] [^]

Good luck. [8]
Old 30 Jul 2004, 05:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Gary04GT, I'm not very mechanical either. So what kind of cake do I need when I install my upper?[B)][]
Old 30 Jul 2004, 07:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

cake is actually optional---remove the bolts holding the upper section in place, pull the upper edge of the grille towards you about 45 degrees, pull up and the "j" hooks (2 ea.) will disengage from their lower mounting points. the "hooks" have to come undone, so you may have to pull a bit. if not cooperating, pivot the grill top backk and forth keep pulling until it comes out. not necessary to yank real hard, just show it who is boss.
in my opinion, painting the stuff behind the grille with flat black will keep that stuff from showing through your new grille. makes the newly installed grille stand out--bling, bling
good luck
redrum
Old 30 Jul 2004, 08:55 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

bigdogdad, all you need to do is follow redrum's directions as he is an expert.

Old 30 Jul 2004, 10:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

redrum Thanks - The upper grill was a piece of cake. It's the lower that's the problem.

Gary - I will take your advice. My upper looks exactly like your pic. I just didn't think the lower grill would hold with just the screws, especially the 2 lower screws that go into the vertical bars. But if it worked for you than who am I to question it. I also think I'll try the tape. Didn't want to paint the Inferno Red in case I needed to remove the grill in the future. - Thanks

\'03 GT Inferno Red AutoStick - Stage 1 - Air Box Mods & K&N Filter - AMX Intake Down Pipe - Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust - Magnacor 8.5mm Ignition Wires - Pin Stripping - Chrome Side Spears - Chrome Tail Light Covers - Chrome Fuel Door - E&G Custom Grill - Painted Rear Mud Guards - 3-D Liquid Flames - Chrome/Red Neon Washer Nozzles - Interior Neon
Old 30 Jul 2004, 10:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tpscruiser

Lou,
Should have traded it for the First Place Trophy and you wouldn't have this problem!![:0]
John - your right [:0] but I think I'll have more fun with the grill especially following Gary's advice. - Lou

\'03 GT Inferno Red AutoStick - Stage 1 - Air Box Mods & K&N Filter - AMX Intake Down Pipe - Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust - Magnacor 8.5mm Ignition Wires - Pin Stripping - Chrome Side Spears - Chrome Tail Light Covers - Chrome Fuel Door - E&G Custom Grill - Painted Rear Mud Guards - 3-D Liquid Flames - Chrome/Red Neon Washer Nozzles - Interior Neon
Old 30 Jul 2004, 10:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought the E&G instructions said to use four screws, two into the grille (and as mentioned above, that polywhateverthane is really soft!) and then two into the top.

Now that I think of it, I'm sure that's what my turbo instructions were, because when I took it off I remember removing four screws.