Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Exterior & Interior Styling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'04 GT pedals in an '03 GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2004, 05:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default '04 GT pedals in an '03 GT

I installed the '04 GT brushed aluminum/rubber pedal assemblies in my '03 GT. I ordered them from Tommy at Haynes Jeep for about $71 shipped.

I was surprised that both were complete assemblies. I thought that I read the brake pedal only required a new pad, but it was soon clear that the steel beneath the pedal pad itself is shaped differently. (EDIT: The auto brake pedal requires a new assembly. The manual brake and clutch pedal reportedly only require a new pad.)

They are very easy to swap out. The gas pedal required the removal of two nuts. The throttle cable pops easily right out of the arm. Then you just replace it with the new assembly, tighten the two nuts, and reattach the cable.

The brake pedal required the removal of one retaining clip, the brake input shaft (for lack of a better term), and the pivot stud. The stud has a nut on one end. You have to hold the other end from turning with a 10mm open end wrench. Once the stud is out you can remove the assembly. There is a bushing in each end of the pivot stud pipe that needs to be transferred to the new assembly before installing it. Then install the new assembly, replace the stud, tighten the nut, and replace the input shaft and retaining clip.

It took me about 20 minutes, but would take less now that I've done it once. The only difficult part is getting up under the dash. It did help to drop the access panel under the steering column at different times during the install. It simply pulls down, and it's hinged at the bottom.

It's a lot easier than installing a light up skull on your liftgate []
Old 20 Nov 2004, 01:13 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dragula

The manual brake and clutch pedal reportedly only require a new pad.
Actually, the manual transmission brake/clutch pedals are different shape and size on '04 vs '03 . . . not a simple replacement.

The '04 and newer (metal/rubber) pads are shorter and wider. '04 pads can be made to fit by grinding about 1/2 inch off the bottoms of the '03 brake/clutch pedals. That makes a good fit in height. As for width, I used a little RTV on the back of the pad when installing, and mine seems to be holding on well, speaking after a year in use.

Gas pedal requires entire assembly, as stated prior.
Dream Cruiser II #624
Staged . . Sprung . . Swayed . . Shifted . . Shaved . . . Shiny
Old 07 Mar 2017, 01:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: '04 GT pedals in an '03 GT

Hey, thanks for posting this. Still relevant 13 years later! There's an 04 in a boneyard with them, but I'm too old and stiff to be crawling under a dirty dash for something I want, but don't need. Better save the cash for when the car really needs.
This site, it's contributors, and our cars are really great. Thanks again.