Advertisements
Rear hatch struts removal

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2014, 06:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear hatch struts removal

Hi,
I read some posts about removing these with a 40 torch. Mine seem REAL hard to get loose.... Any suggestions?
Old 09 Jul 2014, 07:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rear hatch struts removal

Do you have a Torx socket? Can you put in on a breaker bar to give you more torque? It's probably rusted on, you might use some penetrating oil first.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 08:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks... I'll give it a try today. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 03:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinkx View Post
Hi,
I read some posts about removing these with a 40 torch. Mine seem REAL hard to get loose.... Any suggestions?
torch sounds about right. worked for my control arm bolts.

Old 03 Aug 2014, 10:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hi Chinx, how did you make out with the rear hatch struts? I removed one today thinking it would be a snap to replace with new Monroe struts. I had a ton of trouble putting the new bolts in. They appear to match up; but no dice. I'm searching youtube for a demo... any tips?
Thanks, PGB
Old 04 Aug 2014, 10:00 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGBCruiser View Post
Hi Chinx, how did you make out with the rear hatch struts? I removed one today thinking it would be a snap to replace with new Monroe struts. I had a ton of trouble putting the new bolts in. They appear to match up; but no dice. I'm searching youtube for a demo... any tips?
Thanks, PGB
Get a broom. Prop up the rear hatch with it, so you don't have to hold it up while attempting to match up the bolts.

My son and I changed the struts on both of our Cruisers in about 15 minutes. It really helops to have someone else (or a broom) to hold up the hatch.

New bolts? Why not use the old bolts? Rusty? Are you sure the threads on the new bolts match up. Try them first without the strut attached to ber sure the threads match.
cruserdad1976 likes this.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 04 Aug 2014, 08:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks harrym.
I did use a broom - on top of a box (you guys must have long broomsticks!). I did think about using the old bolts; but the new ones did not appear to be removable from the new struts. To be honest I tried this at the end of a long, hot day; so I made sure I stopped before frustration got the better of me. I'll have another go at swapping out the bolts.
I'm a newbie in the shade tree mechanic world and I'd really like to be able to do this seemingly simple swap; but I don't want to strip anything. If I don't have any luck, my local Goodyear guys will probably help me out on Saturday when I head over for an oil change.
My next issue is that I found some water in the latch area in the back. Last time it was fixed with a sloppy handle replacement by the dealer. Another story for another thread!
Thanks again!
Old 04 Aug 2014, 10:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Be patient, use the new bolts, hold the hatch up with a broom to the proper height or better yet have a friend correctly position the hatch height so you can estabilish "proper thread/bolt alignment" before trying to turn it in. The thread should then catch. This is what your friendly mechanic shop will do and charge you for an hour's labor. Think of the project as having sex, "da bolt's gotta line up in da hole to get it right" ptprice
Old 05 Aug 2014, 12:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Having changed a few sets of PT Cruiser rear hatch struts I found that you may need to reuse the original fasteners . These aftermarket companies use universal struts and package them for specific application but the hardware dose not always work well. You may find that the mounting studs cause the strut to be in a farther outward position than stock. This may cause closing problems? So as long as the original studs are still in fairly good condition leave them.

One other thing if you damage the threads in the hatch it is not an easy task to repair the thread correctly. Helicoil do not work well in this area so Time-Sert is needed for proper repair.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 05 Aug 2014, 12:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I recommend always using "Strong Arm" brand lift struts. They are American made and have a lifetime warranty. Plus, they usually don't cost much more than the foreign made one when you buy them on line.

Mine came with new bottom torx bolts. If I remember right, the top part just pops on the existing ball.

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/CHRYSLER-Cruis...r%3Apt+cruiser