Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By quicksilverdon
  • 2 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By KA9VQF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Nov 2015, 01:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default 'Random Pictures' image size

I see that some images posted in the Random Pictures section are very large. Whenever I post something, my pictures are smaller in size. What is the secret to transferring an image, and having it appear larger in size?

Thanks!
Old 08 Nov 2015, 01:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 'Random Pictures' image size

When they are too large (QSD does that alot) I find the picture source and pick a smaller size) If I can't, depending on my mood I will delete the picture itself.

I'm not sure how small your pictures are. A decent size is around 600-800 pixels. Over 1000 gets to be too big for the forum and stretches the page for most viewers and for anyone still on dial-up modems, it takes forever to open the picture up.

For comparison, my pictures below in my signature are about 250 X 184
Old 08 Nov 2015, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I haven't figured out the picture size thing.
I often find a random picture, it seems "right size", then I copy and post it and it turns out HUGE. I go back and edit and select another picture and hope it is smaller... but sometimes I get interrupted and never go back and replace the big picture.
The strange part is usually the pictures seem the same size when I view them, it's only when I copy and post them in the thread they appear different size.
dougs likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Nov 2015, 02:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I didn't have it before (I think) but now when I go to a picture and I right click, A box comes up and one of the choices is "Search Google for this Image" and if I hit that the Google search for that picture comes up with a caption underneath the picture says "Find other sizes for this Image" and shows me the same picture in different sizes. So I pick one and replace the large image on the forum.
Old 08 Nov 2015, 03:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Coping and pasting pictures from the internet means that you are not only using their picture format but locating our site up for spam. Also if the picture http is changed the picture is lost unless it is quoted or in the case I am leading up to copied and placed in your own photo sharing media. If that is done then you can use a recommended picture size to post or smaller of your choosing. I use 800x600 in most all my posted pictures here on this forum. Any larger and it causes viewing issues for some devices and also alters the page size of joining responses after and before the posted large picture. In this day and time people who choose to use larger size pictures are not thinking about how others may see their picture and IMO there should be specific guideline and restrictions to the maximum picture size posted.

Best size for a forum posted picture.

800 x 600
2.67 x 2.00 inch

maximum size that starts to create viewing issues on some devices.
1200 x 900
4.00 x 3.00 inches

Smallest size without loss of picture definition quality
640 x 4 80
2.13 x 1.60 inches

This was taken off the internet and reduced form a VERY large
2677 x 1773
8.92 x 5.91 inches

to 800 x 530
2.67 x 1.77 inches or reduction by 35%

rockandroller and dougs like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 Nov 2015 at 03:31 pm.
Old 08 Nov 2015, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

REMEBER the sad thing about some of you that post a picture found and post directly form the internet is eventually that http WILL change the picture will be moved or just gone..

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 Nov 2015, 03:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Then the thread will look like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
REMEBER the sad thing about some of you that post a picture found and post directly form the internet is eventually that http WILL change the picture will be moved or just gone.

http//:image changed or moved/: SORRY
The person removed or deleted the image

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 Nov 2015 at 03:48 pm.
Old 09 Nov 2015, 05:29 am
Cool Cruiser

Way back when digital cameras first came out I bought one like many other people did.

I knew several other amateur photographers who were interested in both digital pictures and computers.

We started a sort of blog space and a place to put some of our pictures. None of us had anything better than dialup internet for the first few years so if someone was not online you did not get to share any pictures.

As time passed one member got ahold of a used server and had a T-1 line at his place of business and hosted our new website for us.

Our ranks grew as more and more likeminded folks joined. At first there was no charge to belong to the 'club' but as time passed the original host died and things changed.

The new host decided that $2.00 a month from each member would sustain the site so we paid, some grudgingly.

As more time passed there was a lot of pretty bitter infighting. The new owner decided since he owned the equipment where the pictures were stored they were his property and began selling some of them.

A lot of our members quit others were banned. Eventually I was banned for posting one of my own pictures because of what the owner of the site called copyright infringement.

I used the site to host some graduation pictures from when my daughter graduated from high school on another site, which I thought my monthly payment allowed {it always had before}

The owner of the site had changed the EULA and I had not read it completely before clicking on the 'I agree' button. Evidently a lot of the former members did the same thing. The new EULA stated that anything we put on the site was now his personal property.

He demanded $150.00 for each image I had posted. Naturally I refused to pay for my own pictures and attempted to delete them from his site. He threatened to sue me and all the other members.

I really don't know what happened but he was up against several really sharp programmers and his server had some technical difficulties and died a horrible electronic death. All the data on its hard drives was lost.

Evidently he had not made any kind of backup, ever. I only found out through an e-mail from a former member who thought it was truly ironic.

The thing is, in his attempt to blackmail us for using his site he lost it all. The sites I had posted the images no longer displayed the images since his site was gone.

Over the years since I have lost many images that were on other now defunct sites, This seems to happen a lot to a lot of us. I used to use photobucket a lot but somehow all the pictures I once had there are now gone too.

Granted I used the 'free' service and I can still log in as a member, they are gone anyway.
dougs likes this.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.

Last edited by KA9VQF; 09 Nov 2015 at 05:35 am.