2005 PT Cruiser no start.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Oct 2016, 09:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Wink Re: 2005 PT Cruiser no start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch47mechanic View Post
I've replaced all the relays, ive now replaced yet another fuel pump, crankshaft sensor, cam shaft sensor, oil pressure sensor, and still nothing I can put starting fluid in manifold starts right up I'm now at a total loss.
Sorry to see you replaced all those parts before getting back with the folks on here. Ask away, seems to be many experienced pt owners here that have been down some of these roads so to speak that can help you troubleshoot so you won't break the bank. Nobody likes to do that. No shame in asking for assistance , especially when it is free! Please let me know the results of the testing I ask you to perform when you can.
Old 30 Oct 2016, 09:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 PT Cruiser no start.

Thank you all for the advice i will deffinatly try the pin and relay direction. Thank you all
Old 10 Nov 2016, 09:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Good morning all I have tried everything that has been advised. The pin jump and voltage and the pump is still coming on even with new pump. I am able to get the vehicle to start with starting fluid and as long as i continue adding starting fluid it runs. Is there a chance that the leg in the PCM could be bad. The relays are all new and the pump is new. I have power to pump cause the fuel Guage reads. Any help please
Old 10 Nov 2016, 09:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Good morning all I have tried everything that has been advised. The pin jump and voltage and the pump is still coming on even with new pump. I am able to get the vehicle to start with starting fluid and as long as i continue adding starting fluid it runs. Is there a chance that the leg in the PCM could be bad. The relays are all new and the pump is new. I have power to pump cause the fuel Guage reads. Any help please
I would double check that statement you made. I see a separate wire going to the fuel pump. Why not just hot wire the fuel pump to see if it runs?
Imakenocents likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Nov 2016 at 09:50 pm.
Old 10 Nov 2016, 10:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

I agree with Steve there are two separate power circuits involved here. When you checked the voltage I asked previously about on the load side of the relay did you get the 12 volts at pin 30? After jumpering the pins 30 and 87 did you hear the pump run? As stated by Steve the gauge is on a separate circuit. Also it is imperative when removing and installing the fuel tank that you be extremely careful not to kink the plastic fuel line when raising the tank it will cut off the fuel flow to the fuel rail. This happened on a Pt I purchased from someone having the same issue you are having.
Old 19 Nov 2016, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok folks I've tested wires and have power to pump I can also take a straight wire from battery to pump and with ground the pump runs the old pump I tested also runs. I although when plug is plugged into the pump and turn key nothing. So where do I go now? how would I test computer
Old 19 Nov 2016, 11:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Ok folks I've tested wires and have power to pump I can also take a straight wire from battery to pump and with ground the pump runs the old pump I tested also runs. I although when plug is plugged into the pump and turn key nothing. So where do I go now? how would I test computer
Okay, without watching your process it is difficult to follow the statements you make here. When you say you have power to the pump please clarify? Power at the load side of the relay, in the power distribution box or do you mean you have power at the harness plug at the fuel tank connector at the rear by the tank? Are you substituting your own ground, instead of using the ground wire in the harness for the pump in the wire harness connector at the rear by the tank? If you are substituting a vehicle ground you need instead to verify the ground connection in the harness is good. If it isn't the pump will not run. Sir with all due respect, if you checked pin 30 at the fuel pump relay and had 12 volts then placed a jumper between pin 30 and 87 of the relay base connector that power would be directly transferred to the rear fuel tank harness connector. If all wiring was intact nothing would keep that pump from running with that jumper in place. The computer is not even involved to make the pump run doing it like this. Now if you did verify you had 12 volts on pin 30 and then installed the jumper as stated and the pump did not run. Only three things can be the problem.
1) The 12 volts isn't getting to the fuel tank harness connector from the power distribution box from pin 87 at the base of the relay.

2) The ground in the fuel pump harness connector is not good.

3) If steps 1 and 2 are good at the fuel pump harness connector the pump would have to run since you already apparently verified it will run with 12 volts and ground applied by whatever means you performed that task.
Old 20 Nov 2016, 12:12 am
Regular Cruiser

Just one more thing sir. If you do install that jumper as I stated and the fuel pump then does indeed run then and only then would you look at a computer control issue of the fuel pump relay with the ignition key being cycled from off to the on position. The PCM does have command of the control side of the fuel pump relay but I want to make certain we have the other avenue working before we go looking at that. I hope you follow what I'm laying out.
Old 20 Nov 2016, 06:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

Have you checked the fuel supply line yet to make sure it's not crimped or kinked? If not, do that. Seems that the problem is that you're not getting any fuel to the engine. If the pump is working, then the problem seems to me like it has to be a flow issue. But, I'm NOT a mechanic.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 09 Dec 2016, 12:22 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Haven't seen any update on your fuel related issue. Did you get the problem corrected? If so would you please post your findings for the benefit of the entire forum body when you get time. Thank You, and happy cruisin!