onsite image hosting auto-reduce

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2018, 06:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: onsite image hosting auto-reduce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineDream76 View Post
I wrote to the moderator(s) weeks ago after I tried to post a for sale ad and found that not only can I no longer use photo bucket, but that a direct attachment of a photo of a simple sun visor was like 5x too big for what is allowed to be posted. I have received NO response. And I still can't post pics. Does anyone know if there are moderators for this site anymore? Is the site dying a slow death? Any information would be very appreciated. Thanks!!!
You can also try using Imgur, works great and very easy to use!

https://imgur.com/

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 09 May 2018, 10:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineDream76 View Post
Okay, thanks for the info. Does this site really only have a single moderator? That is crazy!!!
Yep. And we are really on our own right now. Luckily most members here are capable of moderating themselves when required. And the one or two that aren't? Well we've come to just excuse and forgive them. After so many years, they become like that wayward brother you only see at Christmas time. You don't excuse how they act but you love them anyway.
Old 09 May 2018, 10:50 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Yep. And we are really on our own right now. Luckily most members here are capable of moderating themselves when required. And the one or two that aren't? Well we've come to just excuse and forgive them. After so many years, they become like that wayward brother you only see at Christmas time. You don't excuse how they act but you love them anyway.

See, once again you say too much. A simple "Yes" would have covered his question.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 09 May 2018, 12:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Here's my solution. I'm using imgbb to reduce the KB count to the exceptable limit for posting photos to the Forum. It works most of the time. Just go to imgbb.com. The URL is http://imgbb.com to access the service. Their instructions are pretty easy to follow. They had to be for me to figger it out.

On the off chance the reduction isn't enough, a little tweaking with my embedded Windows 7 paint program usually brings the photos to an acceptable KB level to be posted to the Forum. The site also allows you to create albums to store your photos. What was a big deal a month ago is now just something I do with a photo.

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, I don't. I just learned all this stuff from fellow Forum members a while ago
A big thank you to those who helped me figger it out.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 09 May 2018, 12:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What I've found lately is that if you have an image program that reduces jpeg quality, you can just set it to 70% by default. Some folks may even be able to set this as default in their cell phones. It will make most 816 x 459 px. images less than 97.7 kb. This photo below is full size but at 70% and it looks fine for an online photo. It's only 78.7 kb:

Another thing I found was that images with a lot of one solid color (white, black, red, doesn't matter) will make much smaller jpeg files even at 100%. This photo is at 100% quality and is only 77 kb because there's lots of white.

Here's some other numbers to remember. If you set your cell phone or camera to take 6 megapixel photos, it will usually create images with a 16 to 9 (1.78) aspect ratio. The dimensions will be 3264 x 1836 pixels. That's a great size if you want to print and frame a picture. However, it's exactly 4 times too big to put on a webpage. So if you reduce it to 25% you get 816 x 459 pixels. That's about perfect for us older guys that need good size online photos to see. The problem is that depending on the colors in the photo, the size will likely be between 80 and 160 kb, more or less. You can reduce the photo size to get below the 97.7 kb limit. Or your can reduce the quality and leave the image at 816 x 459 pixels if you want to keep attaching them to your posts.
rockandroller likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 May 2018 at 01:28 pm.
Old 09 May 2018, 07:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I think that for the most part, that everyone has done an excellent job at policing themselves and trying to maintain some sanity on the forum.

I just wish there was some info, or update, on CREWZIN.

Nobody likes to be sick and I just wish the best for him and his family, whatever the circumstances may be for his absence, and hope that he comes back very soon to the forum.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93