Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Warranty? What warranty???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2005, 08:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Warranty? What warranty???

Chrysler sells a lot of extended warranties, but when you try to use one at a dealer, they say:

"It's Eighty-Five Dollars to diagnose the problem, if the problem is covered by the warranty then maybe it'll be refunded, but if the problem is not covered then it won't be."

But if it's not covered, then shouldn't the eighty-five dollars be applied to the cost of the repair???

Apparently not according to them, so they ADD eighty-five dollars just to tell you what needs fixing, even though the car is still under warranty!!!

What a RIP-OFF!!

[xx(][xx(][xx(]
Old 21 Sep 2005, 10:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Find another dealer. The 85 bucks should only be charged if the repair is not covered under warranty!That or like you said applied to the deductible! Atleast that's how we do it at our 5 star dealership.[:I]
Old 22 Sep 2005, 12:09 am
Cool Cruiser

Definetly find another dealer. They have to pay an employee to find the problem, so if it turns out it isn't warranty, then you're on the hook. But I think most dealers will charge you that only if you elect not to have the repair done.

Good luck!
SRG
Old 22 Sep 2005, 07:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ask to see a gun. If they're gonna rob you, they should have a gun...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Sep 2005, 07:52 am
Regular Cruiser

Yep! Get a new dealer. In all the years I've been buying Chryslers, my dealer has never even mentioned that $85 charge and he's never given me any warranty problems.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 09:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Boy, we must go to the same dealer! I know everyone says find another dealer but sometimes that just ain't convenient, sad to say.
I still think that "mother" (Chysler) should take more control in the dealerships, after all, its "mother" Chrysler that is given the bad name.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 04:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigdogdad

I still think that "mother" (Chysler) should take more control in the dealerships, after all, its "mother" Chrysler that is given the bad name.
I agree completely with biddogdad. Back many months ago when the recall was issued for 2001 PTs concerning the possible fuel line leak, I got quite upset with Chrysler because it took them so long to actually implement the recall. From the time it became public knowledge until I got official notification was, I think, several months. The dealership knew about it but wouldn't touch my PT because they said they had no instructions and/or parts to deal with the problem. I had to wait until I got an official notice.

I complained directly to DC. I also filed complaints with NHTSA and Attorney General of NC. DC was slow to respond, but they did eventually and I think they were a bit "embarrassed". I think it was good some pressure was applied. If all of us did that, I think they would come down from their ivory towers and be more customer conscious and customer service oriented. You should make your voice heard at CD headquarters. Keep calling/contacting them until you get some postive results.
Old 23 Sep 2005, 08:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

I will be calling/contacting them until I get some postive results.
My tranny pump died, so the dealer charged me $600 labour, and DC covered the parts.........WTF is that b.s!

Ontop of it all, the dealer called my house to talk to ME and I was at work, so the MAN that answered the phone said to go ahead and fix MY car...so of course THEY DID!

I was so ticked off I didn't say a word for 2 days...and the mechanic had the balls to say what a great job I did with my cruiser......THANKS ALOT

This bitch-fest has been building up for quite awhile now, so I feel kinda sorry for the person that'll be on the other end of the phone.....ok i'm over it now
Old 27 Sep 2005, 04:32 am
Cool Cruiser

I spoke with the Chrysler Warranty people today, and was told that "diagnosis" is not covered by the warranty, unless it turns out that it is a covered repair. And that the amount that the dealer charges for "diagnosis" is entirely up to each dealer.

I suggested that "Diagnosis" should be a covered procedure, and was scoffed at. So I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that that is impossible. So I asked who to write to to suggest that it be at least an option when you buy an extended warranty, and was told that they would not tell me a name or office to address my concern to, but just send it to "Service Contracts" and that someone would read it.

Anyway, I then called four area Chrysler dealers, and each one quoted me a different price for diagnosis. Only one said "No charge if we do the repair."

So if you buy a Chrysler extended warranty, and your car has a problem, be sure to ask each dealer how much you'll have to pay just to find out how much it will cost to fix it.

Blanes HoodStruts
etc.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 05:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

What the heck dude? Would you like a goos who lays golden eggs?

You bought an extended warranty. Was it a bumper-to-bumper kind, or was it just powertrain?

I mean, how can you honesty think that warranty should cover diagnosis for something not covered by the warranty? If it's a warranty repair, then yeah, they cover the diagnosis because it's all part of the warranty coverage. But why should they cover it if it's not warranty work?

And you are seriously dreaming if you think you'll ever get a warranty to cover all diagnoses...people would be streaming in and out of the dealer every day getting this or that oddball thing "checked out" because it's covered under warranty to have it diagnosed, even if it's something like "you left your headlights on, so now your battery is run down." I mean, it would be no end of cost to the dealer and DC to offer that sort of set-up.