Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Trip Odometer Resets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Oct 2005, 01:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Trip Odometer Resets

Anyone hve a set of problems that can cause an intermitent problem with the trip odometer resetting to zero? Seems that if I keep it on the trip mode it dont reset but does once or twice a tankfull of gas (about 200 miles) if I keep it in the odometer mode and switch to the trip mode after I refill the tank. Thanks for the help.
Old 01 Oct 2005, 04:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I find that if I'm in trip mode when I start the PT that I have to switch to odometer then back to reset the trip meter.
\" Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to slide in broadside, shuddering to a stop in a cloud of dust, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- \"WOW--What a Ride!\"
Author unknown.............
Old 02 Oct 2005, 12:03 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Mine reset itself once. It was during a thunderstorm. Got out of the car and when I came back and started it up, the trip thingy was at 0. Guess some sort of electrical charge or something. Only did it that one time.
Old 04 Oct 2005, 06:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

[xx(]Hi This has been an ongoing problem with the PT CRUISER (mine is an 03Touring. Ive emailed & also contacted DC (CHRYSLER) on it. I even had mine noted at dealer when new on the warrant form. They stated in a email to the dealer that its agrounding issue which they do not no as of yet how to repair. check all your grounds which there are many..One of mine was broken. It only happens when it gets colder out. Right now here its in the 60'-80's so no issue. come winter it will reappear Im sure! Just one of those quirks that all cars have ... that have no solution! thats my spin on it,,, MIKE
Old 04 Oct 2005, 10:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Our 2002 has done the reset thing quite a few times, generally when it's cold and dry out. The dealer replaced the instrument cluster once but that didn't cure the problem. My service manager says that the Chrysler engineers are aware of the problem but no cure yet. Guess it may happen soon since the weather is getting cooler.
I just email my service manager when it happens so he has a record of it and usually checks with Chrysler if they have found a cure.
Our 2003 has done thr reset once in the 7 months we have owned it, again in the cooler weather.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 05 Oct 2005, 04:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

[:0]another reply on this subject,,,,,, Chrysler Engineers say to try a grounding strap like the old Caddies!! (maybe even some tin cans haha) Its just a mysterious quirk that they dont want to address because it will copst them $$ maybe just pay everyone $1k or more in cash & call it a day? what do you guys think...?
Old 05 Oct 2005, 04:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Mine just recently after 40,000 miles started doing it. I have the Sun Grounding System so that is not the answer for me. It is summer here and very dry maybe in the low teens humidity wise. It dont happen on a set basis and seems never to happen in trip mode just when it is in the odometer reading mode and I try to view the miles for gas mileage purposes. Every once in a while it reads like 17 or 5 miles and my tank is empty. First time I thought maybe I never zeroed it out and it reset itself after running ot of digits but I dont think so now!! BTW yes give me a few dollars and dont fix it I could learn to live without this trip mode for a few dollars more. LOL
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 08 Nov 2005, 03:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Mine did that just before I realized the battery was dying (or rather, it made me realize that the battery was dying). Once I replaced it I have not had problems since.
Old 09 Nov 2005, 09:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

We tried the grounding strap, you know, the one that hangs down and drags the ground. The only thing that did was attract attention. Every time I pulled into a meet & greet or show, someone would always come over and tell me "you have something hanging down and draging the ground" LOL
Oh, by the way, it didn't help the trip odometer from resetting.
99% of the time it would reset in cold weather and low humidity!
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 09 Nov 2005, 09:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

[8] This is an ongoing issue in which Chysler has chosen to ignore! My Pt '03 touring has done it since NEW! It only happens once it gets cold & static electricity seems to build up. Ive used static guard & have had some success on the seats. Ive reported it to the dealer & they act like your nuts. Ive learned to live with it because car is basicly ok. I wish some one on here had a direct contact with a Road REP? ANY takers? [8]Id certaily take a check $$$ & call it a day. MJB