Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Posessed Moonroof

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2005, 02:47 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Posessed Moonroof

My wife reported that our power monroof started opening on its own this past week. Having just returned home from a business trip yesterday(Sat.), I can't have my dealer check it until Monday. While driving, the window opens to the vent position, sometimes partially, sometimes all the way. Then it doesn't respond to the close switch being pressed, although it eventually did. I pulled the o/head console fuse to stop the nonsense, but that kills the radio too. Has anyone else run into a similar problem out there? [xx(]
Old 11 Oct 2005, 11:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

First such problem I've heard of, and I'm on 6 PT forums...
I did hear of a couple that wouldn't close - pulling on it while hitting switch took care of that...
Seems you have a wiring short or bad switch....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Oct 2005, 07:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to StOnEwHitePt

I have an '02, and that happened to me a couple of years ago. The sunroof kept going back on its own. I would have to keep holding the close button while driving so that it wouldnt open. I took my pt to the dealer and they replaced it under warranty. I think they said the cause was bad/faulty switch wiring or something like that.
2002 PT Cruiser Touring Edit.(Stone White)(148.2 DB) --Rear match Tinted front windows, 20\"+18\" Limited 800 rims+ Toyo proxes 4 tires;\'20\"\'Chrome DUB badges to clarify, 6000k Polarion HID kit, silverstar foglight bulbs, Carriage Works polished Billet grille, Mopar Chrome fuel door, APC Euro tails + clear reverse lenses+ strobes, headlight strobes, Streetglow G.S UB kit, Ps2,2 Clarion 5.8\" headrest monitors, navigation system, 2 12\" Infinity subs with 1000 Watt Kenwood Amp/custom box., and a Shorty antenna + Chrome base.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 09:26 pm
Young Cruiser

My dealer looked at it today and was pretty much stumped. They ordered the complete assembly and plan to start by replacing the electronic control unit when the parts arrive. The problem seems to be motion sensitive(i,e, bumps and corners), so a short sounds reasonable. This is a new problem for them, too and from what I was told, DMC had no database for this problem either. I'll post again as soon as we make any progress.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 11:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had that problem with my GT within the first week I owned it. [xx(] Dealer stated it was a bad motor switch. They ordered new parts but when they went to replace everthing once the parts came in, they discovered a wire had come loose was shorting out. No problems noted in the last two years once they fixed the loose connection. [?] Good luck with them fixing it it can be done.

Cheers..[8)]
03 Inferno Red GT (Jun 03 build), 5-speed, leather, heat, 6CD changer, moonroof; winter wheels and tires for year 'round enjoyment; silencers removed, no other mods because I'm having more than enough fun with the power I have now!
Old 13 Oct 2005, 11:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the info, Batman. I'll be sure to pass that along to my dealer when I get back in there next week. [?]
Old 24 Oct 2005, 07:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Finally got my Cruiser back from the dealer today! They replaced the moonroof motor and module to get it all working again. They said that there were broken bits of gears in the old motor. I got to go back and see everything that had to come apart to make the repair, and it was quite a project. I'm sure that the mechanic hopes never to draw another one of these jobs. Since they couldn't get it working on Friday, I had to spend the weekend at the helm of a Lincoln Town Car from the local Enterprise office. Very plush, but I sure felt like an old fogey driving past all the neighbors! However, I've got no use for a vehicle that can't swallow a medium sized storm window. Thank goodness again for a good warranty and a great dealer! [^]
Old 25 Oct 2005, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

wow thats a first i never heard of that problem!! glad its all fixed for you !![8)]