Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Beware of Scam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2005, 12:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Beware of Scam

I recieved an email from what I thought was a potential buyer for my cruiser until I did the math and found out that they were attempting to run a scam on me by offering me a money order for more than the asking price and in turn they wanted me to wire them back the balance of $8100. Make sure that you get as much information on both the buyer and seller to prevent these types of fraudulant transactions. If it sounds to good to be true than often it is..,
Kevin
Old 17 Oct 2005, 01:52 am
Young Cruiser

You are right to warn others about this scam. My mother is trying to sell my dad's '59 Tbird. Almost all the email replies we've received to date have turned out to be these types of situations. It is very annoying!
Old 17 Oct 2005, 02:57 am
Veteran Cruiser

Unfortunately someone will fall for it. Money orders are easy to fake.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 18 Oct 2005, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

They are so easy to fake especially to us honest people that atleast want to trust most people. The availbility of printing supplies and the accuracy of today's scanners and copiers as well as all the photo and graphic programs out today, it's very easy for even the not so tech. savvy joe smo to counterfit moneyorders to certified bank checks but why people would send the money before the moneyorder cleared fully wouldn't be watching thier backside too closly. Glade you didn't get scammed and thinks for taking the time to post a warning.
MODS:dual ram-air hood, flames, carbon fiber interior kit,dvd nav tv tuner 7\"touchscreen, Fosgate 4 channel amp, 12\" dual subs with LED box, mb-quart modual speakers, windshild visor, leather racing seats, Goldline springs 3\"drop, Tokico shocks, BOV, C.F. tail lights, and more. Need to install xeon side skirts, rocker pod guages.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 03:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

PLay along with them man...
Were they from Nigeria or another country liek that?
Stuff liek this has been going on since the internet was started . But there are STILL people that just now hear aboutit.

Bait them, have them come to the states, & never meet them at the air port. Make up ANYTHING, as most will go for it. Tell them you want the money in American dollars & chicken franks, or something off the wall like that. They will undoubtly agree. I have been screwing with these people for YEARS. Have had 3 of them actually come to teh states & upon their return to thier country they asked why I didnt show & I would say somethign to the effect of " A elephant got out at the local zoo & demolished mt house", then they would say "oh sorry" & I would ask them to come back....they did.

Ask them for pictures holding up a white blank piece of paper or cardboard. Once you have a pic of them
go over to http://www.419eater.com/ & post it.

Play them man, play them.....you will get TONS of laughs out of it, PLUS you can post it on the forums for other to read about what you had them do. It's really really fun. That is the least you can do against someone who tried to steal from you.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 01:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

I think you miss the point of thse scamps, espresso. Most of them never take posession of the car....they just stick you with the cost of eating the excess from the money order...cash which they now have in their hand at no cost to them.